Saturday 9: God Bless America
Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents? I shook hands with Bill Clinton once when he made a stop in our town. My son was with me, but he was pretty small. He and my daughter went with my stepdad several years later to meet George Bush.
3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend? Nope. I won't be traveling anywhere...except to work. I work all weekend and Memorial Day.
4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? Deviled eggs. I love those things!
5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on? There is. The temperature made it to about 80 today (Friday). Nice outside, but it was pretty warm in the house when I got home from work.
6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA? I have several friends who were not born in the U.S.
7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen. Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks. It is about cold war Berlin and it was a real eye opener for me. I never realized how tough it was to live on the wrong side of the wall during those times and how high tensions ran. It gave me a better understanding of the atmosphere my dad served in.
8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction? No, I haven't and since Hollywood stuff isn't very high on our list of things we'd like to see, I doubt I will ever visit it.
9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now? Zucchini. Oddly, I still absolutely loathe eggplant.
Enjoy your Memorial Day celebrations,
but please, be safe...and remember
what it's really all about.