February 21, 2020

Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows

Linking up with Sam today for Saturday 9.  Please pay a visit to find others who are playing along or to join in the fun yourself.

Saturday 9: Buttons & Bows (1948)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

 
1) The lyrics extol the beauty of "rings and things and buttons and bows." When you're getting dressed, do you give much thought to accessorizing?  Not a lot beyond my watch and a pair of earrings. Once in a while I'll wear an extra ring or a necklace, but I'm not overly comfortable with wearing a lot of bling. 

2) Dinah Shore sings that she doesn't want to live where the cactus hurts her toes. Sam can sympathize, as she has a blister on one of her toes from where her winter boots rub. Do you have any aches and pains to report this morning?  Just the usual with my knee and hip. Some parts of getting older really stink.

3) Dinah was such a popular entertainer that people were surprised to learn she earned a degree in sociology from Vanderbilt University. What is something we'd be surprised to know about you?  I'm an open book. I can't think of any "secret" that's surprising.

4) Dinah's was the best selling version of this song, which was introduced by Bob Hope in the movie The Paleface. Hope had success early in his career as a song-and-dance man on Broadway. Are you better at telling jokes, singing or dancing?  I'm not great at either, but jokes definitely win out over singing and dancing (though when I was young and had a good knee I was pretty good at dancing).

5) Both Bob and Dinah donated their time to entertaining the troops in WWII. It was during a USO tour that Dinah met and fell in love with actor George Montgomery, who was serving in the Air Force. They were married for 20 years and had two children. Their daughter followed her parents into show business and became an actress. If a young person asked you for career advice, what would you tell them?  Figure out what you actually love to do and do that. Don't do something just because you are good at it or because it provides a living. And find balance between work and play.

6) Dinah was an avid golfer and even sponsored an LPGA tournament. She was also an excellent cook who hosted TV cooking segments. Which would you find more relaxing -- an afternoon on the golf course or in the kitchen?  Back in my younger days I'd have chosen golf, but these days I'm sure cooking would be more relaxing.

7) In 1948, the year this record was a hit, Scrabble was introduced. Do you prefer word games, card games, board games or jigsaw puzzles?  I enjoy all games, but I've learned recently (doing jigsaw puzzles with a resident) that I do NOT enjoy doing puzzles.

8) Also in 1948, LPs (33 1/3 rpm records) were introduced. Do you have any vinyl records in your home?  No. I finally gave the last of them to our son.
9) Random question -- Which of these would you consider the greatest insult: to be called boring, untrustworthy or stupid?  Untrustworthy. If people can't trust you, then you've got nothing else to offer anyone that they're going to want.

11 comments:

  1. Totally agree on #5. I am the same way with #3, only people I think probably think the opposite and call me aloof or secretive, which I am not. LOL

    Have a great day friend!!! smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run into that, too. I think because I'm an extroverted introvert. I'm often just being quiet because that's who I am.

      Delete
  2. #3 was hard for me, too, because I share so much in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently being trustworthy is very important to us Saturday 9ers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers; especially #5! Glad to know I'm not the only person who dislikes doing puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on #9. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, being trustworthy speaks to character.. and that makes it very important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would take puzzles over word games. I seem to forget my vocabulary when faced with the challenge of word games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been doing jigsaw online, I can even use my own photos to create a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think everyone so far has said Trustworthy for #9. I gave all of my vinyl away too, but to a DJ at our church. I only kept the two albums I mentioned in my S-9. I always enjoy Saturday 9. Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.