1. I was born in 1964 (you do the math), the same year The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and the Ford Mustang were introduced to the U.S. It was a very good year.
2. My day of birth is August 15, a day I share with Napoleon, Julia Child, Linda Ellerbee, Princess Anne, Debra Messing, Ben Affleck, Joe Jonas……and my mom and one of our cousins. It’s also the day The Beatles played Shea Stadium in 1965 giving birth to “stadium rock” and the day in 1969 that Woodstock opened.
3. I’ve been married since 1984. To the same guy the whole time.
4. Two kids. A son who is married with 2 kids of his own. A daughter who has a new baby and will be getting married Sept. 23, 2017.
5. Three beautiful grandkids. A girl and two boys.
6. Two dogs. Elvis, a Beagle/Basset mix. Daisy, a toy poodle.
7. I’m an animal lover, but not an activist. Over the years I’ve had a wide variety of dogs, cats, parakeets, hermit crabs, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, turtles, chickens, a ferret, a goat, and a fawn.
8. Yes, all that curl in my hair is natural. I've fought it most of my life and even paid ridiculous amounts of money to have Brazilian Blowouts to straighten it for a few years. I discovered Deva Curl a couple of years ago and embraced my curls.
9. I sing about as well as Rosanne Barr singing the National Anthem. Remember that? It isn’t that I don’t want to sing. I LOVE music. God gave me the heart of a singer. Unfortunately, he gave me the voice of a bull moose with a cold.
10. My nicknames are Ace (from the hubby), Spacey (kids back in school because I was in Civil Air Patrol…not because I was an airhead), Donut Hole (a friend once said she was like a donut with a hole in the middle until she met me…so, yeah, I’m a donut hole), and Xena (a friend started calling me that when we were going through some rough times at a previous church).
11. During my childhood I lived on a PA Game Commission pheasant farm and in a wildlife/research preserve. Loved…LOVED…LOVED those years!
12. I used to be pretty athletic. Softball and basketball in high school (I even earned my lettermen’s jacket) and while I didn’t play on any teams in college I took golf for one of my gym classes and did well enough that my teacher thought I should try competing. I didn’t.
13. I. CAN’T. KNIT. I’ve tried. I had “remedial” lessons from the older ladies at work. It just isn’t happening. I can, however, use looms so my mom’s recruited me to her cause of making chemo caps that way.
14. I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 7. They are the first thing I reach for in the morning and the last thing I take off at night. I can’t see a thing without them.
15. I’ve been blogging since 2001. You can’t imagine how much it’s changed since then. I tell people we were painting on the cave walls with ash from the fire back then. Compared to now it’s not much of an exaggeration.
16. I do not get Twitter. I use it as a blogging tool, but I don’t get it.
17. I’m a bookaholic. I currently have 5 bookcases overflowing with books, a NOOK with an ever growing collection, and piles here and there all around the house. I’ve never found a book store or a used book sale (or even a yard sale for that matter) that I didn’t like.
18. I like all kinds of music. Dad was a good bit older than Mom so from him I learned to listen to Big Band and Swing. Even though she came of age in the late 50’s and early 60’s Mom was not into rock. She listened to Ricky Nelson, Pat Boone, and country. I like all of that plus classic rock, 80’s new wave, punk, jazz, Christian, and of course country.
19. I have a habit of talking to myself. Not all the time. Just when I know I have to say something important to somebody. It’s kind of a dress rehearsal. I might do it, too, after an “I carried a watermelon” moment. You know…when you say something so mind bogglingly stupid that you keep rehashing it over and over only you say way better stuff.
20. I am addicted to really awful reality shows...Duck Dynasty, Alaskan Bush People, Swamp People, Mountain Monsters, etc.
21. I have a Coke addiction. The kind that comes in a can, not the kind you snort. I don’t like coffee so that’s where my jolt of caffeine comes from. I have at least made the switch to the diet variety in the last year.
22. I have half of a journalism degree. I left school to get married, thinking with all the wisdom of a 19 year old that I could go back any time. Now I don’t go back and finish because I have lost all respect for the news media.
23. My hair color is a warm brown with blonde and red highlights.
24. My natural hair color at this point is sea-hag gray.
25. My all-time favorite movie is Dirty Dancing.
26. My all-time favorite song is Piano Man by Billy Joel.
27. Other than the bad reality shows, my favorite TV show is The Big Bang Theory.
28. James Rollins and Janet Evanovich are my favorite writers. FYI….I vote for Ranger. :)
29. I collect old books…and usually read them.
30. I bite my nails when I’m stressed. Or bored.
31. Toby Keith is my celebrity crush. I got to meet him once and my ability to speak and function immediately fled the building. The best I can say about it is that I didn’t drool on myself. Well, that and he actually had his arm around me. Sigh. Yeah, it was definitely and “I carried a watermelon” moment.
32. The beach is my favorite place to vacation, but I will not, under any circumstances go in the water past mid-shin…and that’s pushing my limits. It’s all my mom’s fault. She gave in to my whining and nagging when I was 12 and let me see Jaws. I didn’t sleep well for months because I was convinced if my hand or foot hung off the edge of the bed a shark would bite it off. Now, I just know that of all the billions of living things in the ocean, that if I am in it, the mother of all sharks is going to happen to be right there looking at me and thinking “YUM!”
33. I am also terrified of snakes. No specific reason. They’re snakes…..isn’t that enough of a reason?
34. And I’m not really crazy about frogs, toads, salamanders and lizards, but I’m not terrified of them. If I was, I’d have a legitimate reason. Are you aware that there is one day in Spring when frogs and toads will all gather at the nearest body of water to mate and lay their eggs? I wasn’t, either, until the day my babysitter and I (I was probably 8 or so at the time) were out for a walk in the wildlife preserve we lived in. We decided to circle this one pond and discovered that not only the surface of the pond but the bank all around was covered nearly solid with frogs and toads. Why we didn’t turn back, but continued on, I will never know, but that’s what we did and we were literally attacked by angry, aggressive frogs and toads. There isn’t much they can actually do to you, but it was pretty gross to be walking along and having them constantly slapping into your legs. Ick! I’ve never seen such a thing again and I guess it’s sort of rare to see it because the preserve’s biologist wanted to know why on earth I didn’t come and get him because he’d only ever heard about such a thing and would have loved to have seen it.
35. I have a tattoo of a cute little fishy, some shells, a starfish, and seaweed on my right ankle. My husband paid for it for my 45th birthday. I want one more…my daughter and I want mother/daughter tats, but can’t decide on a design.
36. My favorite hymn is How Great Thou Art. It gives me goose bumps to even think the words to myself.
37. My favorite food is seafood and of that, shrimp is the bestest! Just call me Bubba Gump when it comes to shrimp.
38. I am currently a school bus driver, though I hope to change that someday. It was a good job when my kids were in school because it let me be home when they were home, but I’m liking the winter driving and the younger kids less and less every year. It’s going to be hard to give up having summers off, but the regular pay checks will help me get over it.
39. Canada is the only “foreign” country I’ve been to. And the last time was before you had to have a passport…so my poor passport is still stampless.
40. Politically, I’m conservative. By that I don’t mean Republican, though that’s what my voter registration says and I did work at the GOP office during the 2012 campaign. I’d say I’m independent these days. I only keep my party affiliation so I can vote in the primaries. These days I am basically anti-everything coming out of Washington, though I am hoping Trump can do something good while he's in office. I really wish everyone would give him a chance. Wanting him to fail in a major way is like hoping the pilot of the plan you're on messes up big time. It's going to take you down, too.
41. Left to my own devices I’d probably become a hermit. I am good at amusing and entertaining myself and relationships wear me out, if I’m honest.
42. Three earrings in my left ear, one in the right, and no piercings anywhere else.
43. Donny Osmond was my first crush.
44. I’m a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, Delta Nu, 1984.
45. My “super power” is attracting old men at the grocery store. Seriously. There can be 20 people in an aisle, but the old guy will zoom in on me to talk to. It drives my daughter nuts. My pastor says it’s because I give off a “safe” vibe, that they can tell I am nice and kind and will listen to them.
46. I don’t wear perfume. It’s too strong and kills my sinuses. I stick to body sprays and Calgon’s Hawaiian Ginger is my favorite and the one I get the most compliments on.
47. I was never a Girl Scout or a Brownie.
48. I was in Civil Air Patrol, the civilian auxiliary of the Air Force. In stead of selling cookies I learned to read topographical maps, conduct search and rescue missions, and secure aviation crash sites. I’ve spent more than one night in the woods or a corn field guarding a crash site until the FAA arrived.
49. I spent the summer before my senior year doing back breaking labor in the Youth Conservation Corps in the Pocono Mountains. It was hard work, but I loved every minute of it and I got to do a lot of camping and learned to canoe, taking more than one trip down the Delaware River.
50. I’ve taken a couple of seminary courses for credit. I’ve done a lot of training for ministry, youth work, etc. I don’t want to be a “pastor” (and more importantly, I don’t feel that God is telling me to be one) but I do get involved in ministry and I will always be learning.
51. My favorite color is pumpkin orange. My living room and kitchen are painted pumpkin orange. The trim and ceilings are painted “roasted garlic” and the kitchen cabinets are sage green. I am not afraid to use color.
52. My style is eclectic casual. I don’t like fussy stuff and there are personal momentoes everywhere.
53. I have a “thing” for purses. Not shoes. Purses.
54. I hate conflict.
55. The hubby and I like to go on mission trips. He’s been to Haiti once, we’ve been to the Navajo Nation together once, and I’ve gone there once alone. We don’t get to go like we’d like to.
56. My dream home is a small farm. I’d like to have enough room to grow a big garden, have a small orchard, a berry patch, a steer or two for meat, a pig or two (same reason), chickens, goats…and whatever other critters turn up needing a home and it would be good to have enough timber to cut our own firewood. A pond would be nice, too.
57. I always over pack for trips.
58. I don’t very often remember my dreams, but when I do, it’s because they are WEIRD.
59. Fall is my favorite season. I love everything about it.
60. I love parades. I got it from my dad. We always went to all the ones around here. I miss him….no one else ever wants to go.
61. I like pumpkin-flavored things. In my opinion you can never have too much pumpkin.
62. I have a Yankee Candle addiction. My favorite scent is MacIntosh. Banana Nut Bread is a close second. Mistletoe is my go to Christmas choice…makes the house smell like I have a real tree. And if you want people to think your house is super clean when it isn’t (ie., surprise guests on short notice)….burn a lemon scented candle. It makes the house smell like you just cleaned. ;)
63. My mom wanted to name me Anastasia, but one of my grandmother’s friends talked her out of it by convincing her Stacy was the shortened, Americanized version. I don’t think that’s true, but thank you! Strange and unusual names were not exactly the “in” thing in 1964.
64. I love auctions, flea markets, garage sales, junk shops and anything similar.
65. I am a strong 2nd Amendment supporter and own several guns of my own.
66. I'm a pretty good starter of projects, but a terrible finisher. There are a lot of unfinished projects around here.
67. I'm a procrastinator.
68. Math is not my friend.
69. I love my country, am patriotic, and support our military and first defenders whole-heartedly.
70. The hubs and I lived in Orlando for a couple of years when we were first married. We missed the weather here and moved back as soon as we got the chance. WHAT WERE WE THINKING????
71. I don't believe in ghosts or zombies, but I still find those little lights people are putting on graves to be kind of creepy when you see a whole cemetery full of flickering lights.
72. I am not a football fan, I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan! I live in the same small town they hold their training camps in.
73. I am an only child and an only grandchild on one side of the family.
74. I don't know who my biological father is. I'd like to know who he is and something about him, but I don't want to meet him (if he's even still alive). He never made any attempt to know me (and yes, he knew about me) so I don't need him in my life. I just have some questions out of curiosity.
75. I was closer to my grandmother than my mother.
76. Chincoteague Island is my happy place.
77. I hate to fold laundry and there is nearly always a basket of the stuff sitting around.
78. I'm addicted to magazines. I've been reading them since I was in jr. high. These days it's mostly decorating and cooking magazines, but there are a lot of them sitting around.