February 24, 2020

The Weekend & Currently

What a glorious morning it is here in western Pennsylvania! I am so happy to be off work today to enjoy it. The sun is shining and the temperature is in the 40s and expected to reach the 50s today. Even though cold temperatures and snow are coming later this week, it's a little taste of Spring and a reminder that it isn't far off now.

It was a pretty good weekend here. Saturday morning found me hitting the thrift stores. I enjoy the hunt and it's so much fun when I actually find a "treasure." Even though I only went to 2 local shops I did pretty well. These are some of my finds...


Aren't these pretty? I think I'm going to use them on my desk
to hold paper clips, rubber bands, and things like that.


I usually only collect figural dog planters, but you
know me and Poodles. I couldn't leave this cutie behind.


I picked these DVDs up for the dementia unit.
The residents will enjoy them.


I found these sweet, absolutely perfect Fire King
cups for only 99 cents each. Love them!


It was a good day for books!

I also found some books for the grandkids and a handful of CDs for the car. I could have gone nuts on the CDs because someone had donated a DJs entire collection...but I restrained myself.

I also stopped by the garden center and bought some house plants for all the pretty pots I've been collecting. Well, for a few of them. 

The afternoon found me doing some chores around the house until Megan called and asked me to come sit with Leah while she did some work outside. It was beautiful and sunny, but too cold for the baby to be outside. Colton, on the other hand, had a great time riding his Little Tikes roller coaster and driving his John Deere Power Wheels tractor.



Tim worked all day and stayed later so he wouldn't have to go back in on Sunday, so I ordered dinner from Racer's (fish for him and a big salad for me) and he picked it up on his way home. He went to bed as soon as he was done eating and I spent the evening with Columbo.

Sunday was another beautiful day but it never felt quite as warm as it was due to the wind. At 53 degrees it was nice, but man, when the wind blew (which was every few seconds) it cut like a knife. At least it was another sunny day...can't get nearly enough of them after all the gray winter days.

Tim was going to work on the bathroom redo, but he finally admitted he is just not motivated to work on the tile and said he will see about finding someone to finish that part. Once that's done all that's left is setting the sink and toilet and the hardware, which he says he's fine with. (I deserve an award for patience and biting my tongue because this bathroom has been out of commission and a work in progress for over 3 years! And for not pointing out that doing the entire room in tile was HIS idea.)

With the bathroom off the table for the day, Tim worked on putting together the coffee table I ordered from Amazon. I love it and he was actually impressed with how well made it was.


Pretty isn't it?

Then it does this! Colton thought this was the
greatest thing ever. He kept saying over and over,
"Me like this table."

While Tim was assembling the table, I finally went through all my clothes and organized them (or donated them) and potted my new plants. I grew up in a family that always has plants in the house and I love the look. I was down to only 2 and the house was feeling incomplete to me. It's much better now, though I am still nowhere near close to my grandmother, who had over 100 plants in the house!


Aren't they pretty? The one in the back on the right is called Dragonbreath.
I couldn't get a picture that captures the colors, but the very center stripe 
of the leaves is a bluish color. It is really different and beautiful.

We did run out to get a couple of things at Lowe's and ended up having Sunday Brunch at a restaurant right down the road from home. It was...okay. Not really worth the price unless you're more interested in quantity than quality. They did, however, have absolutely amazing halupki (stuffed cabbage rolls)...the best I've had since the old Polish/Hungarian/Slav ladies in my neighborhood passed away.

Colton was here for the latter part of the afternoon and a bit of the evening. We always enjoy our time with him (and Leah, too) and want them to know this is their home, too.

After Colt left we just relaxed and watched TV. It was a good weekend.




CURRENTLY

I am...

Reading...Head Over Heels. Sometimes you just need some "junk food" for your mind.

Watching...the sun play off the pretties in my kitchen window to throw rainbows (or woody woos as my aunt called them) on the wall.

Loving...this sunshine!

Thinking...about all I want to do today. Laundry, dusting/vacuuming, groceries, clean out the frig, and spend some time writing.

Feeling...10 feet tall and bulletproof. Don't you love those days?

Celebrating...Tim wanting to hire someone to finish the tile in the bathroom.

Grateful...to God for his love, forgiveness, and faithfulness.

Weather...sunny and in the 50s!

Enjoying...the heck out of all this sunshine!

A thought to share...



12 comments:

  1. I love all your plants!! I also grew up with plants and have them all over my house although mine are hanging so the cats don't destroy them - HA! I love the cups!! You are so thoughtful to get those DVD's for the residents - they will be thrilled!!! I had not idea you had a thing for poodles but now I do!!!! Have a great week Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I love me some Poodles. Everyone in my family had them when I was growing up and I keep getting them, though I do love all dogs and have a soft spot for Beagles and Basset Hounds, too.

      Delete
  2. Loving your new table! We need a table for our living room - if only to prevent the dogs from running on our throw rug & ruining it :) LOL
    Love those little Fire cups... I always love searching thrift stores or antique stores for fun finds! I just never get to - the Hubs doesnt have patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim doesn't like thrift shops, either. I go with my mom, a friend, or myself. I keep telling him that someday I might get a booth at the antique mall and start selling stuff...but I hope he doesn't hold his breath. I hate to part with beautiful old things.

      Delete
  3. It is currently 51*, in February, in Western NY! It is quite beautiful out...anyways, great finds. As for the hubby, its ok, Stacy...truly it is. At least he admitted it (been there, done it, and lived through it).

    I just love that coffee table, grin. I love stuffed cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers, since I am Croatian/Yugoslavian decent, it was a staple in our household. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it up to 60* today! In February. In the mountains of southwestern PA! lol It was so awesome!

      Not my heritage, but I grew up in an area heavily populated by Slavic immigrants so halupki, halushki, and the rest are among my comfort foods. With the nursing home owned by the Hungarian Reformed Church and there being all kinds of Hungarian activities, I'm learning to appreciate the food and culture there, too.

      Delete
  4. That is a great coffee table! We started watching Columbo a while back and really enjoy it. The kids are growing up fast! It is so great you are so close and can spend good time with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids really are growing up fast. Megan signed Colton up for Headstart preschool today. He'll start next fall and go 5 days a week. Gosh, I'm going to miss him!

      Delete
  5. I used to love Columbo! Dean Martin, too.
    Love those Turkish(?) looking containers. Great idea to lend some out-of-the-box pizazz to your desktop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the containers are. I just thought they were pretty. My rule of thumb is "If you love it, buy it. It will fit in somewhere."

      Delete
  6. Sounds like quite a great weekend! And a big hooray for the bathroom! Reading your blog as long as I have, I know it's been a thorn in your paw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last night was super busy, so I missed this post. What a nice weekend. I love your new coffee table and your thrift store find. We redid one of our bathrooms last summer, or paid a contractor to completely gut and redo it. It was a pain, but so nice now. Now we have two more that need to be done. I hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.