January 30, 2020

Thankful Thursday

Good morning! I'm linking up today with sweet blogging friend, Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand for the always uplifting and encouraging Thankful Thursday. Please pay her a visit to read her own list of thanks, find links to other thankful bloggers, or to add your own list.

This week I am thankful... 

** right off the bat, that the sore throat I woke up with this morning seems to have been caused by dryness. A cup of tea seems to have sent it packing. Yay! 

** that some digging on the internet showed that the corona virus isn't quite the huge scary thing the news has been making it out to be. The CDC still says it's not that big of a threat in the U.S. and there are lots of different strains of corona viruses around. Most of us will have one in our lifetime. In most cases it's not going to be worse than any other flu.

The scarier thing is the crazy amounts of surgical masks people are buying. It's possible they could create a shortage for healthcare workers who really need them. I heard on the news this morning that those who are well should NOT be wearing them for protection, the masks should be worn by those who are sick so as not to spread whatever they've got. Wearing one when you are not sick could actually put you at more risk because of touching your face more.

** for the beautiful sunshine I see outside my window this morning. It's cold (24 degrees) but that sunshine sure is spirit lifting! January and February tend to be incredibly gray and sunless months here in my corner of PA. Even Tim came home from work the other day complaining about needing sunshine.

** the impeachment trial has not consumed everything. I was afraid it would be the only thing you saw on TV or heard about, that the media would make it something you couldn't escape from. That hasn't happened. It's on, but it's easy to escape and the news hasn't made a circus of it.

** my friend was able to move out of her home and begin the process of ending a very bad marriage without too much trouble. Her husband did show up on Monday and scared off a couple of people who were helping her, but by the next day it seemed that things were at least civil.

** another friend (and Bible teacher) and her husband were able to get away for a few days. They'd been having a very stressful stretch and were feeling the pressure to the point her husband's heart was starting to act up. They've reported that they are feeling better and that his heart is back in rhythm. 

** we were able to purchase a large gun safe this past weekend. Nice to have all the guns secured (in a safe that can't be carried off) and room for our other valuables.

** a girls' day with my mom. We had hoped for an auction, but there weren't any. So we made a day of hitting the thrift shops and lunch. I didn't get a lot of stuff...a couple of books, a funny toy dog for the kids, 2 pairs of pajamas for a resident at the home whose step-children don't care enough to buy her things that fit, and this beautiful painting.



** for each one of you who stop to visit and brighten my day!



Have a blessed and thankful Thursday! 




8 comments:

  1. Funny you said that about the coronavirus... I have a coworker who is convinced she has it & we're all going to die from it. I told her I'm a germaphobe & I'm not even freaking out & she needs to calm down :) LOL ... I heard that about the masks too - which is nuts. What are we? China???
    I honestly forgot all about the impeachment!!! I never watch the news anymore & steer clear from all the chaos - everything is so one sided, I cant tolerate it.
    I've been having a sore throat every night this week & scared round 2 of my cold is back... but I too drink some green tea with honey & wake up totally fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The panic is crazy! We live in a world with billions of people and 7700 have the virus...that is a drop in the bucket. The death rate for those infected is currently at about 2%...another drop. Calm down and breathe people.

      Delete
  2. Good news all around! I’m so happy you are up and at ‘em this morning!
    I avoid the news as much as possible! It’s ridiculous! So many good things they could be reporting on but they don’t. Happy Thursday to you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love listening to the "news" on KLOVE. So nice to hear positive stories for a change.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update on your friend's marital situation! Too, for that about not wearing masks. New to me! Buying those pj's for your resident has touched my heart, big time. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Myra. I was looking at something else they said to keep the whole corona virus in perspective...in a world of several billion people, 7700 cases is barely a drop in the bucket and so far the fatality rate is holding at about 2%. The panic is kind of premature.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how nice you got to go out with your mom. A girls' day out with Mom sounds wonderful!

    I saw people this weekend with masks on and wondered why. Now I understand. People are scared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your friend got away and hope for the best for her. Thanks for the update. Nice thrift store finds and bless you for thinking of the resident who needs new PJs. Interesting news on the corona virus. Thanks for that too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.