January 31, 2020

Friday Thoughts


It's the last day of the longest, coldest, grayest, bleakest month of the year (at least that's how it plays out here in southwestern PA). It feels like it took two months to get to this point. This is the time of year when I envy all of you living in warm(er), sunny climates. Come summer, not so much. Ha!


Actual photos of me in winter. Ha!


Is everyone getting ready for some football? I have to work Sunday, but am done by 4:00 so I will be home to watch the Super Bowl. I'm a bit of a fair-weather football fan. My Steelers aren't in it, so I really couldn't care less who is playing or who wins. I'll be watching for the commercials, though. After a few disappointing years, it seems the advertisers have caught on that they need to up their game this year. There are several I've been hearing the buzz about and am looking forward to seeing...not the least of which is the one with Jason Mamoa in a bubble bath. *grin*

Did I ever show you the coloring book I got for my friend who is Jason's biggest fan girl? No? Well, allow me to correct that.




Kind of makes you want to break out the crayons, doesn't it? 

I received another letter from my biological father yesterday. Each one helps me know a little bit more about him and I find that I'm really beginning to look forward to meeting him this summer. Knowing that he is possibly an atheist or a skeptic at best, I decided to be upfront with him in my last letter and told him I am a devout Christian and shared the basics of my faith. He allowed that he may not believe, but that it would never stop him from having a relationship with me. I'm glad of that and hey, who knows? Maybe he'll hear or see something from me that will change his mind. I hope so.

Okay, before I get on with the day, here are some old Friday 5 questions I found.

1. Do you think you are treated differently because you are a man or woman?  I think so because we are different. I think what the question is actually getting at is whether or not I feel I've been discriminated against because I'm a woman. The answer to that is that I have, but only a handful of times in my entire life and not about anything significant. I am a woman and I expect to be treated as such. I still like a man to act like a gentleman and treat me like a lady.

2. Do men or women have it easier in our culture? Why do you think so? I think each has it easier about different things. We are different so that's as it should be for some things. Though I'd have to say that I think it's probably kind of tricky being a man in these post #metoo days. Men in the workplace must be nervous about everything they say or do these days.

3. Do you think girls are raised differently from boys? If so, in what ways?  Yes, I believe that in most cases they are...and again, they should be. Men should be manly and women should be womanly.  That doesn't mean a man can't do things like cook or enjoy musicals or that a woman can't fix a car or watch football. 

4. Do you think women should take men's last names when they marry? Why or why not?  Personally, yes...but I don't have any strong feelings about what other women should do. I do think it is a strong symbol of commitment.

5. Do you think a woman will be President of the United States in the near future?  I think we as a nation are ready to accept a woman...if only the parties could produce one that isn't a joke.


That's all for today. I've got lots I want to get done today. I'll see you tomorrow for the Saturday 9!

4 comments:

  1. HA! On the last question, smiles. We were discussing this thought of last names yesterday. I took my husbands name, and did not include my maiden name like a lot of modern women do.

    I enjoyed the post and thanks, laughing over the snowmen. Have a great weekend. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your responses to Friday Five! Call me old-fashioned, but Amen! to "Men should be manly and women should be womanly." I still enjoy a man -- any man -- behaving like a gentleman and not an entitled ignoramus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel about March the way you do about January. In fact, March is my least favorite month of the year. Why? Because in my opinion, March is a spring month, but most of the time, it doesn't act like it. It is cold, yucky, and every bit as wintry as the 3 months before it.

    So cool that you are hearing from your biological father. Who knows? Maybe the things you share with him will plant the seeds that will bring him to the Lord. Wouldn't that be awesome!

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good answer for that last one! I will be watching the Super Bowl for the commercials too. I'm kind of hoping KC wins but Joe is for SF. I really don't care. I'm glad you are hearing from your bio-dad fairly regularly. I'm excited for you to meet in person.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.