November 6, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Bring Us Some Figgy Pudding

It's time once again to link up with the Wednesday Medley for some questions about the oddball holidays people have invented. That's to Katsumi for thinking them up.

Without further ado, the Wednesday Medley!

1. It's National Fig Week! We sing about figgy pudding in the carol We Wish You A Merry Christmas.

♫ ♪ Now bring us some figgy pudding
Now bring us some figgy pudding ♫
♪ Now bring us some figgy pudding
♫ And bring it right now ♫ ♪

Ever eaten figgy pudding?
Eww, no. Or its close relative, plum pudding? Yes. Mom had a customer on her mail route who was from England she made one for our family. Nasty stuff!  How about cooking or baking with figs?  Yuck. I don't care for figs. Or plums? No aversion to them and I have eaten them, but they aren't a favorite. 

2. It is also Intimate Apparel Week.

Lace push-up balconette underwire bra and matching thong?
No. Or the comfort of practical and machine washable 97% cotton with 3% Lycra? Yes! This is me. I am all about comfort these days.

Alternate question for male lurkers: Boxers or briefs?  Does not apply. 

3. And it is National Animal Shelter Awareness Week. Have you adopted an AniPal®?  What the heck is an AniPal? 

4. National Nachos Day. Credited to Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya who combined corn tortilla chips with melted cheese and sliced jalapeño peppers.

Any recipes you've invented? Or tried-and-true dishes that you can make by heart?
Nacho dishes? Nope. There are lots of other things I can make by heart, though. 

5. Happy Birthday, Opal Kunz! (1894 – 1967.) Opal was an aviatrix at a time when women were discouraged from flying. In 1929, Opal raced in a transcontinental "powder puff derby" in a borrowed airplane. Her beloved 300-horsepower Beech Travel Air was ineligible as it was too fast and powerful; therefore, "inappropriate for a woman."

It seems we have all had such moments in our lives when we are held back because we are women. What's one of yours?
  I have apparently lived a very blessed life, because I cannot think of a single instance of being held back in something I wanted to do because I am a woman. I was raised to believe I could do anything I wanted if I was committed and willing to work for it and that has proved to be true. 

6. Please share with us something interesting about your week.  On the advice of friends, I watched a documentary on Netflix about Billy Graham. If you have Netflix you should watch it. I learned so much I didn't know about him, his life, and his ministry. It's a fascinating look at the man who had the ear of all our modern presidents and many other world leaders.  

10 comments:

  1. Great answers... have a marvelous rest of your week and up coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same answer to the woman one and had that reaction too. I must have either been blessed or lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, a few Christmases ago, Gabrielle wanted to try her hand at a figgy pudding. It was a lot of work, but it was really yummy. And very pretty too. I have a picture of it somewhere on my blog (old post). If I was doing this link-up, I would add it now.

    I'm all about comfort too these days!!

    I love Billy Graham. Such a faithful servant of the Lord he was.

    Have a great day, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your figgy pudding was different. The one I tried was made by a British woman in the traditional manner. Then we had to soak it in brandy for however long and before we ate it, we had to light the brandy. The whole family thought it was awful.

      Delete
  4. OHH - whats the name of that documentary??? I love documentaries so much anyways - & love Mr. Graham. tell me tell me tell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was just "Billy Graham." Scroll down to the documentaries on Netflix and it's there.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for telling us about the Billy Graham documentary. I want to look for it. You are the one person who has had figgy pudding and said it was awful - as I always thought it would be. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read my description above to Patti. I really did not like it at all.

      Delete
  6. I thought figgy pudding was delicious but maybe because I had the nineteenth century version.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.