November 15, 2019

Saturday 9: Judy @ Carnegie Hall

Thanks to Crazy Sam @ the Saturday 9 for today's questions.

Judy at Carnegie Hall (1961)
We're spotlighting this legendary concert because  Bev from Sunday Stealing loves Judy Garland. This week's Saturday 9 is a "thank you," one meme-mistress to another, in gratitude for Bev's willingness to pick up Bud's meme and keep it going.



Song #1: "When You're Smiling." What made you smile this week?  Our daughter and grandkids showing up every evening because Colton won't stop pestering to go visit "Na-Na." (I'm smiling now just thinking about it!)

Song #2: "Almost Like Being in Love." We've all had many crushes, but love is rare. How many times have you fallen in love?  There were a couple of times I thought I was, but being older and wiser I now know that my husband is the one and only person I've truely been in love with.

Song #3: "This Can't Be Love." This Rodgers and Hart song was introduced in the play, The Boys from Syracuse. Syracuse is the county seat of Onondaga County, NY. What county do you hail from?  Westmoreland

Song #4: "Do It Again." What's something you'd do again, if only you had the time or money? (A book you'd like to reread, a recipe or pattern you'd like to make again, a vacation destination you'd like to revisit, etc.)  I would love to go to New Mexico again. I loved it when I went on mission trips on the Navajo Reservation.

Song #5: "You Go to My Head." Judy forgets the lyrics, but gamely keeps going. Tell us about a recent moment when you chose to keep going, no matter what. There are a lot of days when my job is like that. Not very many of our current dementia residents are easy to engage so I'm often frustrated by the lack of response and participation in the group activities. Everyone else can see the need to adjust the program to the current residents...everyone except the person in charge. Sigh.

Song #6: "Alone Together." Is anyone there with you as you answer these questions, or are you alone?  I'm alone.

Song #7: "Who Cares?" This song was written by brothers George and Ira Gershwin. They had a lesser known brother, stockbroker Arthur. Are you more creative and artistic, like George and Ira? Or more analytical and methodical, like Arthur?  I guess creative and artistic, because I'm sure not analytical or methodical. I'd be way more organized if I was.

Song #8: "Puttin' on the Ritz." Judy sings that The Ritz is the place in New York "where fashion sits." If we wanted to see everyone "all gussied up" in your town, where would we go?  Gussied up? In this town? I guess if you went to one of the two fancy/expensive restaurants you might find some people dressed up, but you'd find just as many not. It'd be about the same at church, a wedding, or a funeral, too. Mostly, if you want to see EVERYONE gussied up you'd have to wait for some charity gala or something.

Song #9: "How Long Has This Been Going On?" Judy sings about discovering how glorious romance can be. Have you made any new discoveries lately? It doesn't have to be as groundbreaking as Judy's. A new podcast or a faster route to work counts, too.  I have discovered how much knee-high compression socks help with my leg and foot pain. They don't completely alleviate the pain and aches, but they sure do reduce it.

24 comments:

  1. I was wearing compression socks last year (at this time!) to help with my leg pain, too! I was skeptical at first -- thought they'd be hot and uncomfortable. But they really did help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got two different types to try. One pair is black and they type we use on residents with severe circulation problems. They did help, but they are ugly and not exactly uncomfortable, but not comfortable, either. The other pair, I love. They are NurseMates and are cute black knee socks with neon colored stripes...there are other styles. lol They were also a good bit cheaper than the other ones.

      Delete
  2. These questions are always so interesting! Hey, Westmoreland County, that's where much of my ancestry is from. I'm from an Allegheny, Westmoreland, and Fayette County family.

    How sweet that your little grandson wants to see you every day. I hope you always have a strong bond with him.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! What is the family name? I'm wondering if it's one I recognize. Do you know what towns they lived in?

      Delete
    2. One of my Westmoreland family names is McBeth. (That is my maiden name). For generations, they were farmers and coal miners. Hempfield Township and North Huntingdon are two towns I can think of off the top of my head. s

      Delete
  3. I wear compression socks and it really helps with the walking 1/2 mile uphill to classes from the parking lot and running here and there on campus (probably because I am flat footed as all get out, lol).

    ANYWAYS--I REALLY LOVE YOUR NEW LOOK HERE!!! Sorry for 'yelling', smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a believer now!

      Thanks, I like the peachy/green together. It's always one of my favorite color mixes.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for working with dementia residents. My aunt had dementia and we had to put her in to a LTC facility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I'm a bit dissatisfied with out program right now, but I love the residents so much. They are so sweet and you just have to remember who they were and understand where they might be coming from to have compassion.

      Delete
  5. It is funny that you mention weddings that people do not get dressed up for. I was shocked at my nephews wedding where my other nephew was wearing shorts! I bought an outfit just for the occasion and many people were dressed up...but I didn't know shorts was ok.
    I would love to try the compression socks. No one ever sees my socks and I do not care if they are ugly. Where do you get the NurseMates ones?
    Oh and yes, thank-you for working with the dementia patients. My dad had that also and the staff was amazing. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, you can find the socks on Amazon. I paid under $10 for one pair.

      Delete
  6. I love the bond between you and Colton! There's several places I long to return, but then I wonder if I wouldn't be disappointed in the inevitable changes. So blessed to have a still-functioning memory bank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is a problem...Chincoteague was sort of like that for me last time we were there. Government regulations are making it impossible for the local fishermen to make a living and all the boats were gone. :(

      Delete
  7. I should wear compression socks for my lymphedema.

    I attended a wedding where I was the most dressed up person after the bride and groom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am never quite sure how to dress for anything around here.

      Delete
  8. People don't dress up any more. I went to the San Francisco symphony several years ago, dressed to the 9s, in a long formal. I was the only one there dressed up--many were in jeans and t-shirts!

    I am so grateful to people like you who care for dementia patients. It's so sad to see the lifeless look on my mother's face all the time these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...I hate to hear that about your mom. That's very rare with the residents I deal with. I can usually get at least a little response out of them. As our head of dementia always says, they may not remember you, but they remember how you make them feel. A smile, a hug, and kindness go a long, long way. :)

      Delete
    2. I think I should clarify in light of my answer to the question. I often don't get a response to the activities we are made to do with them. It's the personal attention they respond to.

      Delete
  9. We too would love a return trip to New Mexico. Santa Fe used to be one of our favorite places to visit. I've heard it has changed but I would still love to roam the galleries. My brother-in-law is dealing with Parkinsons and dementia and it is so hard on my sister as his caregiver. Blesses for your efforts to relate and meet their needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never actually got to spend any time in the cities. I would like to do that!

      Delete
  10. The Grand kids must be lovely little *critters* to have around you.
    We are watching my sister for any signs of dementia. So far she is sharp as a tack but we know what's coming.
    I'll bet you are pretty well organized. You work and run a household. That takes a lot of organization. Have a good week, Stacy. Remember, an angel always stands right beside you. Right there....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Zippi. I do appreciate it.
      I also hope you are "disappointed" in your dementia watch of your sister. Such a sad road to go down.

      Delete
  11. You reminded me..I need ot find my compression socks! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.