November 19, 2019

Favorites & Thanks

Good morning and happy Tuesday! Can you believe Thanksgiving is just 9 days away? Can you believe the Christmas shopping craziness has already been going on for a week or two?? We were out shopping this past Saturday and the stores were packed and the lines were long! I guess that means the retailers, who were so worried about the shorter time between Thanksgiving and Christmas hurting holiday sales, can breathe a little easier.

Today I am linking up with Toni for Tuesday 4 and answering Tell Me Something Tuesday just for fun.

Tuesday 4: Holiday Favorites

1. Favorite holiday of yours. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I try to practice gratitude all the time, but I like the reminder to be extra mindful of being thankful and I love how many folks jump on the bandwagon for the month of November. I also like that beyond giving thanks, the holiday is a relaxed one. It's about family and friends getting together, eating yourself silly, watching football, etc. It's the last deep breath before the insanity of the Christmas season starts. Unless, of course, you are one of those who begins your Black Friday shopping ON Thanksgiving. I am not. I don't even do Black Friday shopping on Black Friday.

2. Favorite holiday character in a movie.  Ralphie from A Christmas Story is my favorite character and that's also my favorite Christmas movie. Our whole family watches it together at least once on Christmas Day. Most of us can probably quote it word for word. And Ralphie? Well, who hasn't been in his shoes as a kid?

3. Favorite holiday dish or dessert to make? My grandmother's corn spoonbread.


1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix

2 eggs, beaten

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

1 can cream style corn

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup melted butter

1/3 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 Tbsp sugar

Grated parmesan cheese, to taste 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 2-quart casserole with Pam.


In a bowl, combine all the ingredients but the muffin mix.  Stir to mix.  Add muffin mix.  Stir well.

Pour into casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove.

Sprinkle with cheese.  Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes or until center is firm.

* It's very easy to change this recipe up. I've added a variety of cheeses to the mix. A small can chilies adds a little zip. Go ahead. Experiment.

4. Favorite holiday weather you wish for.  For Thanksgiving I hope for clear and cool. For Christmas I hope for snow...not enough to cause any problems, but enough to make it pretty.


Tell Me Something Tuesday

What are you thankful for this year?  Well, a lot of things, but for the sake of time (or rather a lack of it) I'm just going to say I'm thankful for finally finding out about my biological father and my half-siblings. After a lifetime of wondering I finally have some answers. 

8 comments:

  1. ...and I am thankful for you my friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you have some answers. Thats a huge thing to be thankful for.
    Ralphie... ahh... you'll shoot your eye out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum on that spoonbread recipe! I LOVE corn of any kind; Tom not so much ….. so I'll have to wait for the next pot-luck opportunity at church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That corn casserole is the exact same one I use, except for the cheese. So good! Fun questions and we love A Christmas Story too. I giggle all the way through it and know most of the dialog by heart, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually do some shopping on Thanksgiving once things have calmed down and on Black Friday too...but all online. I went out once and that was enough for me. I like to look at the ads though. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how doable that dish sounds! Some recipes are so intimidating, I just want to pull the sheet over my head and forget it. But that corn dish sounds like I could accomplish it, AND everyone would enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ralphie is a favorite of mine too. And that recipe sounds yummy! I may have to give it a try!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your answers.. I also thought of Ralphie because that is such a fvorite movie for the whole family.. Very nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.