November 12, 2019

Bookish

Winter came blustering in overnight. Yesterday afternoon the temperature was in the low 60's. This morning there is maybe an inch of snow on the ground and the temperature is in the 20's. A few more snow showers may pass through today, but tonight we should see something more significant and the temperature will drop even further. Tomorrow morning should find us with temperatures in the teens and windchills in single digits. Not as bad as some of you are having it, I know, but it's plenty of winter for me!

It's my day off and I have a ton of stuff needing done around here, but I'd hoped to join in the Tuesday 4 first. However, the Tuesday 4 seems to be taking some time off...just like some other memes this week. Not to be put off, I scoured the internet (okay, I just did a quick Google search) and found a couple of questions that might prove to be fun.

1. What are your favorite genres of books?  

I enjoy cozy mysteries...the ones where the people seem like your next door neighbors and you get to know the characters and their community. They are more fun than mysterious or spooky.



I also like what I guess you'd call action/adventures...things along the lines of Indiana Jones. Sort of.



Then there are the rather technical and detailed thrillers.




I also like books with funny women as the main character, but I'm not sure what genre they are.


Lately I've been on more of a literary kick and reading a lot of novels...just good writing and deep examinations of human nature.


Okay, I also admit to liking some romances. Mainly the ones set in the present with smart, strong, but likeable women. I don't like historical romance or the ones with swooning women or the ones with explicit sex scenes.

2. If you hosted a dinner for authors, who are the six authors you'd invite (living or dead)?

James Rollins because of all he knows about weird science. 

Janet Evanovich because anyone who can invent Stephanie Plum and all the folks who populate her world has got to be really funny.

Ernest Hemingway because he has always fascinated me and I would love to hear about his adventures and what the Keys and Cuba were like in his time.

Louisa May Alcott because she wrote Little Women, my most favorite book ever.

Mark Twain because, like Hemingway, he'd have some pretty amazing stories to tell.

Harper Lee because I'd like to hear from the mind that created To Kill a Mockingbird.


Those are my choices. It was really hard to decide on the authors. What are your choices?

7 comments:

  1. Nancy Thames wrote a series of fantastic mysteries! I helped edit a few as I fell in love with her books. She quoted me on the back-I have since dropped the last name! Don't miss these in paperback or Kindle. Jillian and Teddy, her canine cohort, solve mysteries!!! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite book ever-Little Women-I have four little women/daughter and her three girls-also have two grandsons of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh on the snow and the cold temperatures!! Don't those things know it's still fall?

    Like you, I love to read. I generally have at least one novel and one non-fiction going at the same time.

    I think I would invite Lucy Maud Montgomery and Louisa May Alcott. Anne of Green Gables and Little Women are my favorite books ever.

    Have a lovely day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are hard questions! Too many favorites! :)

    We're having our first snow day off from school--winter walloped us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good choices for that dinner party! May I come too for all the same reasons you listed? I love Stephanie Plum and I also agree with you about swooning women and explicit sex scenes. Not my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have like the first 8 books of Stephanie Plum series... & never read one of them. I thought about just donating them at this point :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun theme, Stacy! I used to read Baldacci, Deaver (and the like) practically to the exclusion of all else. Now, because I'm experiencing challenges focusing, those cozy mysteries sound like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.