October 11, 2019

Saturday 9: Live Like You Were Dying

Live Like You Were Dying (2003) 

I loved this song when it came out. Has it really been that long? Where has the time gone????

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

Want to join in the fun? Do it here.

1) This song is about a man whose father advises him to live life to the fullest, to become "the friend you'd like to have." How about you? Are you the friend you'd like to have?  I try, but to be perfectly honest, I know I fall short. I'm an introvert and sometimes I just don't have it in me to put myself out there for others. Sometimes I just need to be alone. But to be fair to myself, I don't think anyone is the perfect friend. We are all imperfect people living in an imperfect world. There is no way we can be everything one person needs without letting them down now and then...no matter how hard we try. I just don't believe it's a doable thing.


2) The song lists several "bucket list" items: skydiving, mountain climbing, riding a bull. Have you done any of those things? Would you like to?  Of those three things? I haven't done any of them and I don't have any desire to do any of them. I'm pretty much too old and too out of shape for anything but the skydiving, anyway, and there is no way that's gonna happen!

3) In the music video, Tim McGraw is wearing a white button-down shirt, blue jeans and a cowboy hat. Which of those items is in your wardrobe?  All of them.


4) He wears a cowboy hat because he is embarrassed by the size of his forehead. When you wear a hat, are you more likely doing it for style, like Tim, or for protection from the elements?  Probably the elements more than for style because I just don't like how I look in hats.

5) McGraw's biological father was Tug McGraw, pitcher for the Mets and Phillies. How did your baseball team do this season?
Ha! You assume I have a baseball team. I do not.


6) Tim McGraw and wife Faith Hill live just outside of Nashville. They enjoy inviting friends over to sit around a bonfire, drinking beer and playing guitars. Tell us about the most recent gettogether you had with friends. My bible study group had a little celebration of the Hebrew New Year last week. We had some yummy food and got caught up with each other since we haven't all been together for a while with everyone taking vacations, traveling to see far away children, etc. If that doesn't count, Tim and I got dinner with another couple and spent the evening shooting the breeze. Normally we play games and drink wine, but the husband had just gotten home from having surgery and wasn't quite up to it.

7) Tim likes his tattoos. He admits his silliest one -- a leprechaun wearing a cowboy hat -- was acquired during a night of drinking. Do you have a tattoo? If so, are you glad you have it and would you get it again? I have this on my right ankle....



Yes, I'd be willing to get another tattoo, but I probably won't. My daughter and I have always talked about mother/daughter ones, but can never agree on the design. If I did get another one it would probably be a trail of footprints on the side of my foot just above the sole and the words "Walk by faith."

8) In 2003, when this song was popular, the supersonic Concord took its last flight. When did you most recently board a plane? What was your destination?  I haven't been on a plane since 2002. Tim and I led a group of teens on a mission trip to the Navajo reservation in New Mexico and Arizona. It was only about 7 months after 9-11 and everyone was still kind of feeling their way with all the new security measures. It was different and some things they did in the name of security were a little over the top.

 
9) Random question: When did you last walk around the house naked?
Um, like...never. 

15 comments:

  1. Interesting lyrics and I like the video, thanks for the link. That was fun to read the Q & A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the girls in the sorority had a delicate acanthus wreath tattoo - like an anklet.

    Moral Of The Story: Never sit in the lawn chair next to her at a summer party.

    SNAKE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not have a baseball team? I am missing my Cubs so much right now I am literally suffering withdrawal. My nephew actually recommended I not watch the play offs or Series so I can decompress.

    On the other hand, I think it's cool that you have a cowboy hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture you having serious withdrawal. You are the biggest baseball fan I know. As for the hat, I never wear it.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of hats either, but being out in the sun at the beach

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love knitting hats but really don't like wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hear you on the friend thing. I have some friends forever, and we were in high school together, but not so many in adult life. I had scads of friends in our older mixed neighborhood, but here, not so much, plus Navy people move away. When you've been in each other's back pocket for four years and then in a flash they are gone, it's hard to manage.
    Hats, I love..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same for me, Zippi. Some friends through adulthood, but not that many.

      Delete
  7. I like your answer to the friend question. I don't think we can be the be-all to a friend. That's why we needs lots of them. I am currently rethinking my circle of friends and contemplating changes in the new year. It will take some effort on my part that I'm not sure I have in me, but we will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm....you will have to let us know how that goes. I'd be interested to know.

      Delete
  8. I agree with you on the friend question and I am very much like you. I am very shy. Once I get used to someone I talk a lot, but at first not so much. I admire people that are good conversationalists. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I talk a lot when I'm comfortable with someone, but those I am that comfortable with is a small group.

      Delete
  9. Great posers today! Remember the mechanical bull scene in Urban Cowboy? I'd love to try and ride a bull … but hate the after-effects. I've too many scars and varicose veins to ever consider a tat, but your thought of the footsteps sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do remember. I love that movie. I would probably try riding a mechanical bull (on a low speed), but I was thinking of real bulls. I have no desire to try THAT!

      Delete
  10. Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers. Jumping through fast. Lots to catch up. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.