October 14, 2019

Currently

I am...

Reading...just the scriptures for my Bible study. I need to choose a new book.

Listening to...the local morning news.

Loving...the cold nights. The sleeping is so much better.

Thinking...that our federal government (all of it, both "sides") has totally and completely gone to crap and I'm not sure there is a solution short of completely cleaning house and putting in new people who have never been part of the system...and how is that even possible?

Feeling...a bit sad. We lost two residents over the weekend. The first passed on Friday. It was a blessing, actually. The woman had a large, loving family that was with her at the end. It ended a long struggle with Alzheimers. 

The second passed quickly and unexpectedly yesterday morning. That one, we staff members are struggling with. The woman was born to an older couple and was what they used to call "slow." From what we know, she lived with her family for at least her younger years, but she doesn't really remember her father so we think he died when she was young. Her mother died, too, and she became a ward of the Hungarian Reformed Church (which owns the nursing home where I work). At some point, she was made a ward of the state. She had a much older brother, but no one seems to know what became of him. So, most of her life she was "institutionalized." She had very few normal life experiences and little understanding of common things. She had no one to love her. No friends (she said kids never wanted to play with her).  She was also completely deaf the last few years.

Anyway, she wasn't acting right on Saturday and by the end of the day she was on oxygen and in bed. The nurse came in to reevaluate her yesterday and told us she believed she was dying. We were shocked. We knew she was going downhill but did not expect that. Less than an hour later she slipped away. The nurse called the Dept. of Human Services but they never called back. One of the CNA's and I packed up all of her belongings...so hard with her lying there and also because we knew that with no family, it would all end up being thrown away. The charge nurse finally gave up on DHS around 2:00 and called the morgue. It was 4:30 before they came to get her. I was already home for the day by then. A coworker texted to let me know. We all wept for the sad end to a sad life. My hope is that she knew the Lord or was covered by innocence and is today at home in heaven.

Celebrating...the Steelers' win last night. Maybe Big Ben should be worried. The team is down to the third string quarterback and they seem to be doing just fine.

Grateful...my mom and daughter are willing to give me rides to and from work the next few days while Tim's truck is in the garage for a few repairs

Weather...in the 40's this morning but warming up to 60 with a good breeze this afternoon.

Enjoying...the new season of Schitt's Creek on Netflix, but hating that they put all the new episodes on at once. I'm going to be done with the whole season in another couple of days and then I'll have to wait a whole year. Boo!

Laughing at...



** My boss sent out a mass text to everyone in the department on Saturday telling us she is going on family medical leave and doesn't know when she will be back. She is still going to do the activity schedule and our work schedule, but won't actually be at work. Something bad happened to her husband. I've heard two completely different stories...either he had a massive heart attack and was revived or he was in an auto accident and is currently on life support.

12 comments:

  1. Awww...I am so sorry about the loss of life and your boss...one never knows about life, do we? Always, always, always, before I leave, I tell the guys, "Love you." Even when if running late or mad...just keeping it real.

    Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we never know. I've always been uncomfortable with death, but while it's sad I'm coming to accept it as what can be a beautiful part of things when the family has time to gather and be with their loved one...some very special moments there. Yep, I always tell my family I love them, too.

      Delete
  2. Your telling of your second resident breaks my heart. I have to believe, whether or not she knew our Lord, HE knew her and had mercy. What a shock about your boss' husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am hoping, too. And yes, awful about my boss's husband. Just when she was starting to act halfway decent...

      Delete
  3. I am sure the 2nd resident got a warm welcome from many who will love her forever.Sad about your boss as well. I hope things turn around for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the loss of your residents. That would be a difficult part of the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is hard, but we mostly learn to keep our distance a little bit or it would probably kill us. There are some, though, that get to us.

      Delete
  5. OH my gosh.... that story of the resident who is all alone. My heart just aches. Choked me up. That is just a fear of mine - to be lonely & not have anyone... & I know there are so many out there like her. I pray too she had an acceptance of Jesus so she could feel all the love that family can give to someone. Bless her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That used to be my biggest fear, now it's second to ending up with dementia. Thanks for the sympathy and prayers.

      Delete
  6. What a horribly sad story about your resident who had no family left. Tragic and I know there are others just like her out there. It was a blessing that you all cared so much and could ease her journey 'home'. And how sad about your boss and whatever she is now dealing with. Prayers lifted. I agree with you about politics today. Ugly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers and kind words, Terri. They are much appreciated.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.