October 15, 2019

It's a 2-fer Tuesday

Good morning! I'm off today (some might argue I'm a bit off every day) so there's plenty of time to blog. I thought I'd do my regular 10 On Tuesday and join in the new Tuesday 4 everyone is joining in on.

First the 10.

10 Things You Must See In My Town

1. Fred Rogers was born here and grew up here. We are the original neighborhood. You can check out the Fred Rogers Exhibit at St. Vincent College while you are here.


2. Saint Vincent College was founded in 1846 by Benedictine monks led by Boniface Wimmer, who became the first Archabbot of Saint Vincent Archabbey, now the largest Benedictine archabbey in the world.


3. The St. Vincent Gristmill is a leftover from the days the Archabbey was also a self-sufficient farm. Today it houses a gift and coffee shop.


4. Another native son the town is quite proud of is Arnold Palmer. He maintained a home and office here his whole life. You can visit the Latrobe Country Club where he learned to play golf.



5. The Winnie Palmer Nature Reserve was the dream of Arnie's wife to preserve the native scenery, plants, and animals. It was a response to the development taking place along Route 30. Today the 50 acre reserve showcases a native landscape with trails, meadows, gardens, wetlands, a pond, and more.


6. The Lincoln Highway Experience is a museum that showcases all that was great about the nation's first coast to coast highway. Pay a visit and see why people still choose to travel this scenic highway when interstates are nearby.


7. Latrobe is also the official birthplace of the banana split. It was created by Dr. David Strickler at Strickler's Pharmacy in 1904. Today you will find a banana split statue in the downtown area and each year the town hosts the Great American Banana Split Festival. You can enjoy an authentic banana split any time you visit at Valley Dairy.



8. The Pittsburgh Steelers hold their training camp on the campus of St. Vincent College each July-August. There are public scrimmages, fan fests, photo and autograph sessions, activities for the kids, and often a pre-season game against another NFL team that ends with a huge fireworks display. 



9. The Latrobe Art Center was founded by Nancy Rogers Crozier (the sister of Fred Rogers) and provides a place for students of all ages and abilities to learn and grow their talent. In addition to a cafe, the center offers classes and programs for all abilities, community events, local art on display and for sale, and workshops.


10. Four Seasons Brewing Company continues a proud Latrobe tradition of good beer, good food, and good fun. For most of the 20th century Latrobe was home to Rolling Rock Beer. Now there are several micro breweries with Four Seasons being the most popular. It's a relaxed place to hang out with friends, enjoy good food, sample the brews available, and listen to some great music.


I could keep going all day with things to see and do here or in the Laurel Highlands area. This is a great place to live! However, if I'd better get to the second part of the post before this grows to an epic length.



Thanks to Toni for hosting and creating the Tuesday 4 Meme. Today is my first time, as it seems to be with lots of others. 

1.   Pumpkin Carving or Apple Picking?  I'm going to have to go with apple picking. While I love all things autumn related and all things pumpkin flavored, I don't enjoy being up to my elbows in the slimey innards of a pumpkin.

2.   Yankee Candles or Roaring Fireplace?
  I am a big fan of both, but if I can only have one, I'd take the fireplace....warmth and soft light.

3.   Hot Chocolate or Apple Cider?
  Apple Cider if it is of the unpasturized variety. I like my cider to have a little zing to it that the pasturized stuff just doesn't seem to have.

4.   Pumpkin Pie or Apple Pie?  Tough choice, but I guess I'd take the pumpkin...and a whole lot of whipped cream, please.

23 comments:

  1. A very impressive list! They all sound fascinating.

    How big of a jack-o'-lantern are you carving that you are up to your elbows?

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Stacy, I loved your Tuesday 10. So many wonderful places. Nice to know where Mr. Rogers came from. Thanks for joining in on the T4M. Enjoyed reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. People are always surprised by how many claims to fame we have for such a small town.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your 2-fer, grin. Our town is home to actor Bill Pullman and his family house still is on Main Street and every once in a blue moon you will see him around town. smiles

    Have a great day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Pullman is one of my favorites. He's always good, but he was definitely swoon worthy in "While You Were Sleeping."

      Delete
  4. I see we have another whipped cream lover! I think it can make just about anything taste good. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad used to tell of putting it on my spinach when I was little and I ate it. I don't remember, but I think I'd take a pass on that combo these days. lol

      Delete
  5. You really do live in a great town Stacy!!! I love coming there for the Steelers camp but i had no idea you guys created the banana split! WOW - cool!!!! Have a good day! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been here for training camp?? Wow! Next time we'll have to do lunch!

      Delete
  6. Your town is famous, enjoyed your 10 things and your Tuesday4Meme answers. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're the home of Mister Rogers???? I can not WAIT for that movie with Tom hanks about him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly my reason for not diving into a pumpkin,, now that is Amanda is grown.. she loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though we will see how it goes with the grands living right next door. I may end up carving a pumpkin again someday.

      Delete
  9. That gristmill intrigues me. I love that 17th century-ish style of architecture and bet it'd be a great place to stop for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be, but I don't think they serve meals...just coffee and snacky stuff.

      Delete
  10. Wow, your town has so much going on. I think I'll have to take a trip across the state and visit Latrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes!! A whole of of whip cream!!! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting things to see and do in your town!! I would love seeing the Art Center in particular! The Tuesday 4 was fun today!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice town you live in and The Tuesday 4 was so hard for me, I love everything on it! Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you joined us for the Tuesday 4 Meme! I enjoyed reading your post and answers to Toni's questions! Your town looks like it would be a great place to visit. I don't that I could find ten things to post about it my town. LOL! Hope your week is going well. Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.