August 8, 2019

Thankful Thursday: Cruising Through My Thanks

There is just so much to be thankful for this week! I hardly know where to begin, but letting you know I'm linking up with blogging friend, Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand for Thankful Thursday seems like the right start...because I am ALWAYS thankful for her acting as our host and for being such a ray of sunshine in every day (if you follow her blog, you know what I mean).

This week I am thankful...

** for this little cutie patootie. Our fourth grandchild and second granddaughter (she is also the last grandchild we will have) was born at 7:59 A.M. on July 29. She weighed in at 7 lbs and 12 oz and was 20 inches long. Say hello to Leah Rose.



** for the way Colton is stepping up as a big brother...even though his nose is just a wee bit out of joint over having to share the attention.



** for the wonderful vacation we had.


Our ship, the Grandeur of the Sea. Looking out from 
the shore in Boston.

Just one of Boston's fabulous green spaces with the city in the background.

I should probably remember what historic building this
is....but I don't. 

I also forget who this is a statue of. What can I say?
It was a whirlwind bus tour!

A busy lighthouse in Portland, Maine.

This is a monument and memorial to those (mostly women) who
built the Victory Ships in Portland during WWII.

Another lighthouse in Portland.

The Portland Head Light. 


These rocks are literally just yards away from the cliff the Portland Head
Light sits on and they have claimed many a ship. The writing on 
the rocks commemorates the most famous one.

Getting silly with lobster claws!

The pilings the birds are nesting on are over 100 years old.
They are all that remain of the city dock after a fire raged 
through the town and destroyed most of it.

The tender (which is also one of the lifeboats on the ship) that took
us to shore in Bar Harbor, Maine. It was the only port that
was too shallow for the ship to dock.

A close up look at how we got on and off the ship.

A beautiful sailing vessel.

A small park at the top of the hill over looking the bay
in Bar Harbor.

One of the mansions along the shore in Bar Harbor and backing up
against Acadia National Park.

Seals on an island in the bay.

There were Harbor Seals and Gray Seals.
Look at those cute faces!

They almost look like rocks on the shore.

This is the island the seals were on. They were to the right of the lighthouse.

Some of Maine's dramatic coastline.

This is where the ocean tide meets the St. Charles River in St. John,
New Brunswick. We caught it at slack tide, when the water was mostly still.
As the tide rises, it overcomes the river and the water flows inland.
When the tide goes out, the river flows out to sea.

This big, noisy fellow was keeping an eye on everyone.

I'm not sure, but I think this was taken at the Bay of Fundy.

I wasn't quite tall enough to get a good shot over the railings, but if you
look in the background to the right you can see another covered bridge.
They believe it's the only place you can see two that close together.
Legend is that you have to make a wish inside the bridge 
or kiss your sweetheart.

There are flower beds like this all through St. John's.
They are all filled with marigolds.
All the school children grow them as a project
and then there is one day when they come and
plant all of them. They are gorgeous!

Some kind of big birds hanging out on an island in the St. Charles River.

St. John's version of the Hollywood sign.

The "boys" were quite taken with this private yacht that was docked in
Halifax. It really was quite beautiful with all the wood and brass.

Another nice sailing vessel.

A little lighthouse in Halifax's harbor.
** to feel rested, relaxed, and recharged.

** Tim got lots of naps in while we were away. He sure needed them.

** to get home to my pup. I really missed her.

** for the wonderful crew on the ship. We took the time to talk to many of them and get to know them...a lot of sad stories there about families who can't be together because the husband is away on the ship to make a living. Also, they don't get much time off while they are doing their tour....just a few hours here and there. There are no whole days off. Our waiter for instance will work an 8 month stretch and then have two months off. He is doing it to send his kids to school so they will have more options than he does. These precious folks really knock themselves out to give you the best possible service and they go far above and beyond. (It's tough to want to come back to reality and not being waited on hand and foot!)

** for our new friend, Danny, the piano player in the piano bar. He is very talented and also very funny. We found ourselves hanging out there nearly every night after 9:00.

** for a gentle easing back into work. I worked Monday, was off Tuesday, and then work Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...and have the weekend off. 

** that things at work seem to be running smoothly and my boss is in a good mood.

** for ripe tomatoes from the garden. The first thing I ate when I got home was a tomato and mayo sandwich!

** the heat is finally backing off.

** to my newly discovered half siblings for approaching Mom and I slowly with thoughtfulness and concern for our feelings.

** for each one of you!

10 comments:

  1. Leah Rose is so beautiful! I can't wait to 'watch' her grow and see if she resembles Colton.
    Loving your vacation photos. Oh, you were thought about. Considering our mutual aches, I wonder if the bed was comfortable? Yes, those crew members' contract lives seem like something we Americans would never do. My former hubby and I used to enjoy hanging out with a few of the bartenders at beaches and bars off the beaten (tourist) path. For the most part, they were a close-knit, happy lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we think she looks a lot like our son's son...who we usually think doesn't look like us at all (he looks like his momma's family). The bed on the ship? No, it was NOT comfortable. It was hard as a rock. I asked if they had a foam topper, but they don't have them any longer. Twice they put something on it, but it didn't really help. My hip was not a happy camper, but I hope it will be better before I go on another cruise. I actually thought that I could picture myself signing up to work on a ship when I was younger. Not now, for sure! We enjoyed getting to know some of the crew and I was really surprised at the looks I got from people in the dining room who saw me hugging our waiters. Talk about snobs!

      Delete
  2. SO MUCH to be thankful for this week!!!
    That granddaughter! So glad she's finally here & everyone is doing well!!! What a beauty! The best gift to come home to.
    & what a gorgeous vacation!!!! I know pictures dont tell how gorgeous it all was!
    Hope your transition back is easy on you. I'm sure those grandbabies will ease the pain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of a beautiful trip! We did a New England tour a few years ago that took us to those places and I loved it! Your new baby is so precious and so is big brother. He will adjust. Haha!!! I had to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wondered when I saw your photo of the Portland Head Light. It was a beautiful trip. I would love to do it again some day in the fall. The colors would be amazing!

      Delete
  4. Leah Rose is beautiful!! Colton is being so sweet in that picture and I'm sure he will be a protective big brother! The pictures from your cruise are great and I especially love the ones of you! You look happy and relaxed and how great that Tim got to nap and relax!! Nice to have the weekend off! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few more to share. I have to see if I can figure out the scanner on my printer. I'd really like to upload the picture of us on formal night when I had my hair cut and styled at the spa.

      Delete
  5. The picture of Colton and his new little sister is too cute!

    Did you tender into and out of each port?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bar Harbor.

      I like tendering as much as the next person and being close to the water and the occasional sea spray through the open entry ports, but...

      The line waiting on the tenders to get back to the Emerald Princess was over one hundred yards long. So. My mother and I went across the street from the dock and had a couple of martinis.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.