June 25, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Parchment Has a Holiday??

Over the hump and on to the Wednesday Medley! I'm linking up today with Terri @ Your Friend From Florida.

NATIONAL PARCHMENT DAY – Last Wednesday in June


National Parchment Day- Last Wednesday in June
Celebrate parchment and its many uses by clicking on the image.

NATIONAL PARCHMENT DAY

At the end of June, National Parchment Day arrives to bring innovation and convenience back to the kitchen.
Parchment infuses flavor, locks in moisture and preserves vital nutrients and has long been a part of the traditional French kitchen. Ever versatile, parchment conveniently transitions from skillet to oven and from the grill to table.  Its ability to be elegant as well as useful makes it one of the more effective tools in the kitchen.
Cooking “en papillote” enhances natural flavors, without the synthetic sprays and high-fat oils. Not only does culinary parchment simplify preparation and clean-up, but it’s also a much healthier and environmentally friendlier alternative to traditional cooking techniques. The French have cooked with parchment for centuries, perfecting taste and texture in every dish. It has long served as the secret to preparing wholesome, healthy meals.
With all these added benefits, it’s difficult to ignore what parchment brings to the kitchen and to the table.  Use a variety of parchment products to make composing delicious meals in the home kitchen a culinary success.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Turn your kitchen into a parchment test kitchen. Share your delicious results by using #NationalParchmentDay on social media.
HISTORY
PaperChefNational Parchment Day was submitted by PaperChef and declared by the Registrar of National Day Calendar in June 2016. With local food movements on the rise, PaperChef is encouraging all culinary enthusiasts – from professional chefs to home cooks – to explore foods that mirror the “farm to fork movement,” offering North Americans viable alternatives to their popular but non-compostable and non-recyclable counterparts, refusing to compromise on quality and integrity by manufacturing items that won’t live in landfills for centuries.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything above this line is from the National Day Calendar.
1.  Who knew there was a day to celebrate parchment paper?!  Do you ever use parchment when you bake or cook? Tell us about your favorite way to use it, please.  I always use it to line the baking sheets when I make cookies. I've never heard of any other way to use it in the kitchen.


2.  When Terri thinks of parchment paper, she usually thinks about special writing or artist papers. She loves using specialty papers for creating cards or other art projects. Tell us about a creative way you have used parchment paper other than to bake with!  I haven't used it for anything else.

3.  Terri used to be in the cake business and has piped many borders and roses and leaves and letters, etc., etc.  You can make a pastry bag from parchment paper!  Have you ever tried decorating a cake with a pastry bag and specialty tips?  Do you have a picture to share?  Don't be shy, now!  I do know you can do that, but I've never done it, so sorry no pictures.
4.  Tell us about something you baked or cooked in the past week or so that turned out great, parchment or no parchment.  Will you share the recipe?  No recipe to share...we've been grilling and/or eating out.
5.  The last Wednesday in June!!  How can that be? Has your June flown by or have you been able to enjoy each day and make it slow down for you?  It has flown by (as all the months seem to do these days). There have been some nice times, too, like the Sunday drive with Tim, Colton's sleepover, working in the garden, and tonight's Bible study on our teacher's deck overlooking a lake.
6.  Tell us something about your week so far, if you will.  John (my stepdad) came home from the hospital today. He has been there since Friday. He went to have the leg he cut on his way home from vacation checked. It needed glued together, but he also had a lot of fluid in his legs and he was in A-fib. The doctor thinks the swollen legs and A-fib are related to one of his meds and being on it too long. I'm not sure he's completely better, but better enough to come home. I hope he's okay. Mom was pretty stressed by the thought of him coming home with his heart acting up and being so wobbly on his feet, but at least he is home. Megan and the baby are still hanging in there and we are one more week closer to the due date. My new passport finally came at the end of last week so I was able to preregister us for our cruise today. Only 4 1/2 weeks to go!

10 comments:

  1. There's a lot of family concern and prayer needed. I hope all goes well. Have you been on a cruise before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your stepdad is ok! Yay, almost cruise time! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good news with your stepdad, that baby still growing in that belly & YAHOOOO, closer to that cruise!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got lost for a minute in a mental view of relaxing on a deck overlooking a lake...so relaxing. I went on a cruise once many years ago but it wasn't for me. I have friends and relatives who go all the time and they LOVE it! I hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trusting your step-dad continues to gain strength and responds positively to the med change. We have been on a couple cruises and loved both, especially the one to Alaska. I'd go back in a heartbeat, so can't wait to hear all about yours. Yes, keeping that baby inside as long as possible is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a Bible study on the deck overlooking a lake sounds like a great way to do it. You know, in the Bible they would meet by a river to pray, which I think is neat. I'm sorry about your stepdad, I know that is a stressor from experience because my husband goes into a-fib often. Glad your passport came in - that is always a relief and so is the baby waiting. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking the very same thing that Nonnie said above -- a Bible study on the deck overlooking a lake sounds absolutely wonderful! We are going up north the end of September for a week -- and I will have my quiet time sitting on the dock every day that the weather permits! There is nothing like being surrounded with God's beautiful creation to enhance our worship of Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been on a cruise but I think we're contemplating one. I just don't know which one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking your step-dad's fall may have been a Real Blessing in disguise. I'm pretty sure I know how your mom's feeling. Tom's undergoing more tests on his cardiac and pulmonary functions; it's hard not to worry 'something' might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for your step-dad and your mom. Do please keep us posted on his progress!! Thanks for participating in the Medley today!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.