June 15, 2019

Saturday 9: I Learned from You

Good morning...I think. It's been kind of a long (short...rough?) night. Our grandson is spending the night because his mommy and daddy have been at the ER. Mommy has been having some problems with her pregnancy lately and the last call we had from them, Mommy was having contractions and was 1 cm dilated. Not good. It's about a month and a half before little Leah Rose is due to make her appearance. They gave Mom something to try to stop the contractions. We haven't heard anything since then. If you have ever shared a bed with a 2 year old then you know why I'm up before the butt crack of dawn on my day off.

Since I am up, let's do this thing.

Saturday 9: I Learned from You (2007)
... Because it's Father's Day weekend.


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is a duet by the father/daughter team, Miley and Billy Ray Cyrus. Is your family musically inclined?
  Good grief, NO! The one exception is my son. He has taught himself to play drums, bass, and a little bit of a few other instruments by ear.



2) This song is about life lessons. Who has been a major influence on your life? Hmm, wow...that's a pretty long list with both good and bad influences. Off the top of my head: Dad, Mom, Nana, Pappy, my husband, my kids, several teachers, my aunt, a couple of friends, a couple of pastors, the churches we've belonged to, and Jesus Christ.



3) Miley's given name is "Destiny." Her nickname as a baby was "Smiley," which is where Miley came from. What's something that can always be depended upon to make you smile?  The 2 year old currently hogging my bed. 



4) Miley's father, country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, has 5 children in addition to Miley (6 in all). Are you the oldest, the middle or the youngest sibling? Or are you an only child?  I'm an only child, which I thought I hated growing up. My husband, on the other hand, was the middle of seven kids! When we got married and I suddenly had 5 sisters-in-law who treated me exactly like one of them (and by that I mean what was mine was suddenly theirs, they'd tell me how to run my life, and get just as ugly with me as they'd sometimes get with each other), it was a serious shock and took a lot of patience and time for me to adjust to the intrusions and what seemed to me to be chaos.



5) Sam's own father often traveled for business, and always remembered to bring her the little complimentary soaps, shampoos or body lotion he got from the hotel. Tell us about an inexpensive but treasured souvenir from a trip you've taken.  In 2013 I finally got to see the famous Pony Swim in Chincoteague, Virginia. I first read Misty of Chincoteague when I was 10. It was a required book at school and that same year, the school brought in a speaker who showed us a documentary he'd made about the wild ponies. Before that I'd assumed it was just a story. After that, going to Chincoteague became sort of a holy grail type of thing for me. I got to go for the first time in my 20's and have been back several times, but 2013 was the first time I finally got to see the saltwater cowboys swim the herd across the channel from Assateague Island to Chincoteague Island. I bought myself a copy of that year's carnival/festival poster for $5 and it's now framed and hanging over my desk.



6) Back when Sam was in high school, it was her father who gave her driving lessons. Are you patient when teaching someone something new?  I'm ashamed to say that it kind of depends on the attitude of the one I'm teaching.



7) Sam's father is easy to buy for: every year he wants a new pair of loafers, so every year for Father's Day she gives him a DSW gift card. Is there anyone on your gift list that you find it easy to buy for?  No. Absolutely everyone on my shopping list is super difficult to shop for. Except the kids. Kids are fairly easy.



8) For family barbecues, Sam's dad dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you cooked on the grill?  I did a pork tenderloin seasoned with garlic and cracked black pepper just the other day.



9) Sam's father satisfies his afternoon sugar craving with an almost endless stream of Butter Rum Lifesavers. When you crave a snack, do you usually reach for something sweet or salty?  If I can only have one thing I will always choose the salty, crunchy, carby snack. But if you aren't aware, sweet and salty compliment each other very well. (A pox on the friend who pointed that out to me.) So, something salty followed by a little bit of chocolate is the way to go.



14 comments:

  1. First, I hope everything is better with your daughter (and granddaughter), even by the time you read this!

    Second, I love the pony story and poster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Colton and I are having a nice day together and his mommy is home and Leah is still where she belongs. They gave Megan something to stop the contractions and a steroid shot to help the baby's lungs develop just in case she does come early. She has to go back in the morning and get another shot.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see the Chincoteague swim. I remember reading that books years ago

    I, too, hope all is going/went well with your daughter. I'll check back on your blog to see the latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bev. Things are okay for now. They stopped the contractions and gave her a steroid shot to help the baby's lungs develop. She has to go back for another shot tomorrow.

      The pony swim was really neat....once it actually got under way. Everyone lines up along the shore or out on boats early in the morning but you never know when they will actually swim across. It all depends on the tides and the weather. There was an awful thunder storm in 2013 so we waited a very long time and got very wet. But it was worth it!

      Delete
  3. First, prayers lifted for Megan and baby Leah!
    I don't know where you find these memes, but I'm sitting here giggling like a crazy lady. An only child myself, I still struggle to share or compromise. What a rude awakening your 5 sisters-in-law had to have been!

    PS - I don't know if you've had time to check out the Cat's Meow link on Terri's post. It's not Chincoteague, but I saw they have some collectibles featuring North Carolina's swimming horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about Cat's Meow and I have a couple of pieces. I did follow the link and spent a lot of time looking.

      My mom loves to tell people how excited I was before I got married to be gaining 5 sisters and then how exasperated and frustrated I was after I actually had them as part of my daily life.

      Thank you for the prayers. Megan is home and sleeping. The contractions are stopped and she got a steroid injection and has to get another tomorrow to help the baby's lungs develop quicker. Just in case.

      Delete
  4. #4 is so me also. Yes to everything you said! I am still working on it too.
    #9! Yes! I typically have a small salty snack followed by a sweet treat. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that your granddaughter has stopped her contractions and is well on her way to being resettled and on track... wow, a grilled pork tenderloin sounds amazing! I guess I sort of lied on my blog becasue youre so right.. salt and sweet do go together so well.. Well, maybe not because peanut m and m's are both, arent they! Hehe, have a great weekend.. rest up the rest of today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Promised my nieces a camping trip in the wilderness of my backyard but it was raining so hard I set up the tent in my living room and put the mats and futon inside.

    We made somemores in the kitchen and I told them a mildly scary story and we crawled in the tent.

    "I love you, Auntie!"

    One of the few times I was thankful for my insomnia with the needing a drink of water, trips to the bathroom, wanting to pet the kitties...

    Did not know the public could observe the Pony Swim. Good to know.

    And very good to know your daughter and granddaughter are doing well.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers and think that poster is worthy of a frame, indeed! Hope all is well next door. Do keep us posted. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. With three generations, actually four, DH's family all gave up a few years ago and just started exchanging edibles for gifts, and NO birthday gifts at all.
    Your Meme picture of the window BBQ reminded me of my FIL having to chain -with a heavy Boat chain no less, his BBQ to the garage after the first one got stolen from the fenced yard.
    Your MEME filled Saturday 9's are a lot of fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to read that your daughter is doing better; I hope that is still the case. I read Misty about the same time you did, and Stormy, Misty's Foal, too. (That was the name of the book, wasn't it?). Never been to that area though.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.