June 21, 2019

Celebrating Small Victories

I'm celebrating this morning. 

No, no birthdays, anniversaries, or other big days. Today, I'm celebrating small victories.

Yesterday was my monthly check-in with my PCP. It's a requirement of taking Adipex-P for weight loss. Adipex works well by suppressing the appetite and stimulating the metabolism, but it is a controlled substance and can only be prescribed one month at a time. This is to lessen any chance of addiction and abuse. Personally, I don't find that it gives me a noticeable energy rush, but others may be more susceptible.

At my check-ins, my doctor checks my blood pressure and heart rate because high blood pressure is one of the bigger side effects due to the stimulant properties. I have been blessed to have my blood pressure (for which I take Lisinopril) actually be lower while I am on Adipex-P. In fact, my blood pressure has been at it's lowest in my adult life.

Whether or not I am losing weight is also checked. If weight loss stops, then so will the Adipex-P as the possible risks are not worth it if it is not working. (Liver function must also be monitored, though less frequently.)

What I am celebrating today is a blood pressure of 110/80 and another 2 pounds lost for a total loss of 11 pounds. I could lose more, I'm sure, with regular exercise but the arthritis that plagues me tends to leave me hurting to much to even think about exercising after work. 

I mentioned last month that I had been prescribed an anti-inflammatory that would, I hoped, ease the pain in my left leg so I could sleep more. It didn't do a thing. So yesterday my PCP changed my prescription to try another anti-inflammatory. 

He called it by it's chemical name so I didn't know what it was until I picked up my prescription at the pharmacy. It turned out to be Celebrex, which gave me pause. I have taken Celebrex once about 20 years ago and it gave me stabbing abdominal pains and diarrhea. Not side effects I could live with. I expressed my fears with the pharmacist and she said that if I make sure to eat a real meal before taking it, it shouldn't do that. I agreed to try it.

After some thought, I decided to take the first dose after supper last night. You know, just in case. I sure didn't want to take it this morning, head to work, and find out it was going to have that effect! It didn't bother me at all and that's the second part of my celebration today.

The third part of the celebration is that the Celebrex worked. I didn't sleep all that well, but I wasn't hurting as I tossed and turned! I could actually feel the pain easing after I took it last night. The lack of achiness left me feeling almost weightless. I can't remember the last time my body felt that pain free. Now I'm a little more aware of some aches this morning, but it's still very minor compared to a normal morning. I stood right up out of bed and walked without having to loosen up. Woohoo!

  

2 comments:

  1. YAY on a good night's sleep! And the weight loss, too!
    'Hope you're 'walking on sunshine' today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray on all counts!! The doc I'm working for prescribes Adipex to nearly all of his weight patients. Some feel it works and others don't. Wish I could give it a try but I can't with my a-fib.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.