May 22, 2019

Wednesday Medley: Road Trip!

Sitting here in my big, fuzzy winter bathrobe this morning because it's cold enough to make the furnace kick on. What.the.heck. Where did my nice warm weather go? This is also my late start (noon) day so I have the morning to get some things done and, of course, first on the list is celebrating National Road Trip Day the with Terri @ Your Friend From Florida and her Wednesday Medley.

1.  Have you ever done a spur-of-the-moment road trip?  Yes. Tim and I headed out for a long weekend a few years ago to celebrate my 50th birthday.  Where did it take you?  Gettysburg. I hadn't been there in years and Tim had never been there. It was the best trip I think we've ever had. It was just us and with no plan there were no expectations. It was very relaxing. We stopped to investigate anything that caught our eye, so the Flight 93 Memorial, an antique mall, a big "shed" company (they make everything from dog houses to horse barns to log cabins), and Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum. We toured the town and battlefield on the top of a double-decker bus, took in some of the tourist stops in town, and strolled the streets looking in shops. 








2.  If time and money wasn't an issue, what roads would you choose to travel and how long would you be gone?  Easy question! I have long had the dream of driving across the country on U.S. Route 30...originally known as the Lincoln Highway. It was the first cross-country highway and it's naturally on my radar because I live about 1.5 miles from it, but the dream of the trip began as a teenager after I saw the old episodes of I Love Lucy in which Lucy, Desi, Fred, and Ethel drive to California on the Lincoln Highway. Many of the cool, old tourist stops are long gone, but some still remain. I just think it would be a great way to see the country. I'd probably want to throw a drive on Rt. 66 in on the return home, too. How long? I think 2-3 weeks would be okay to hit the highlights. If money was not a problem, I'd make it a whole summer thing and really dig into each place I stopped.
3.  When you go on a long road trip, what snacks and beverages do you take? I usually try to pack a little of everything because you never know what you're going to be hungry for. We usually have a good supply of pop, bottled water, chips (or something crunchy and salty), something sweet (cookies or M&M's), cheese, pepperoni, veggies and dip. It's not only for the car, but for overnight hotel stops. It saves a bunch of money over buying snacks at the hotel.  Do you pack a picnic?  Only if we know we'll be on the road all day and that stops may be few and far between.  Does the back seat turn into a nest?  No, not since the kids are grown and we are on our own. It's usually just where we pile anything we buy that doesn't fit in the trunk.  Oh, and the snacks are back there to keep them handy.
4.  Please tell us about something interesting or strange you have seen on the side of the road.  One of the tourist stops along Rt. 30 that has survived the years, is Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum. It definitely qualifies as one of the strangest places I've ever stopped. It features a big collection of all things elephant, a candy and novelty shop that would make Willy Wonka proud, and a garden full of kind of weird stuff.

Get it?  Jon...Deer.








5.  Who does the driving when you head out in the car?  Usually, it's Tim. He does not like to ride with anyone else driving. If he gets tired enough he will let me drive, but then he goes to sleep. Do you stop in the rest areas along our Interstate highways when you have to use the facilities, or do you choose a fast-food restaurant or gas station instead?  Not TMI... inquiring minds want to know!  It kind of depends. If we're on the interstates, we stop at the rest stops. If we are on smaller roads we stop where we can...small, local restaurants are better than fast food places.
6.  Please share something with us about your week so far.  Yesterday, I took the little dog I bought at Goodwill to work. It is just like the therapy cats we have that cost a fortune, but I paid $10. The idea of them is that, thanks to batteries, they breathe (and the cats purr)...that combined with the weight is calming to some residents when they hold them on their laps. The cats haven't been a big hit, but the dog seems to be. Two or three of the ladies wanted to hold her. They named her Maggie. Not much else is going on this week. I'm off on Thursday and will spend the day running errands...doctor appointment (for the Adipex, but I need to ask about my back since it's giving me grief), car inspection, and I hope, getting the dog groomed. Tim and I are both working the weekend and Memorial Day. I have to. He decided to work since I am. Why not? I get paid double time for the day and he will get double time and a half! Money we can put away for our cruise.

21 comments:

  1. Loved reading your answers! So many fun pics!! Have a great Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. So far no one has mentioned caves. Those tourist trap cave tours.

    Only 50 Miles to THE DEVIL'S LAIR!

    Only 49 Miles to THE DEVIL'S LAIR!

    Then when you finally get to the cave the tour guide is a high school boy with a flashlight to indicate the points of interest.

    "If you look to your left, THE DEVIL'S ASHTRAY."

    Or THE DEVIL'S RECLINER. Or THE DEVIL'S CAT'S LITTERBOX.

    And he and tries to grab you when the lights go out for the dramatic MOMENT OF DARKNESS.

    As if I'd never been on a train when it's gone through a tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha! They aren't a favorite, but I've been in my share of caves. My personal favorite is a local one that has mini golf inside. It's so tacky it's splendiferous!

      Delete
  3. I'll have to admit, driving across Pennsylvania on Highway 30 really is interesting. And Gettysburg is one of our favorite places. We've been there several times. The most interesting was at the 135th anniversary reenactment. Saving for travel is always a good plan, whether it's a cruise or flight or road trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the trip east on Rt. 30 from here (Latrobe) to Gettysburg and Lancaster Co. Lots to do and it's a beautiful drive.

      Delete
  4. I NEED to go to Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum!!! It sounds like my kind of place. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something to see. I can't wait to go back again!

      Delete
  5. We have never been to Gettsburg! That Elephant museum is very interesting and the outhouse is just too funny!!! So sweet you got the little dog for the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you really should go to Gettysburg! There is so much to see and it is so beautiful there.

      Delete
  6. I haven’t been to Gettysburg in years, but seeing your photos makes me want to go again. The elephant museum looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't changed too much. The town might be a little more built up, but that's about it. All the history things were just as I remembered them.

      Delete
  7. That little gnome(?) in the outhouse is adorable! Most of the time I'm pretty practical, but I'd grab that up in a heartbeat. I'd love to see Gettysburg someday. Thanks for sharing one of your fav memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember exactly who was in the outhouse, but it is cute. Oh, you really should see Gettysburg. So much history!

      Delete
  8. A couple years ago, hubby and I drove a very very small part of Route 66 in the Chicago area. I would love to drive the whole thing some day too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for joining in today, Stacy! Your road trip memories are great! What fun that must have been! Thanks for sharing. Glad your therapy puppy is a hit. I would prefer the cats, if it were me! LOL Enjoy the extra cruise money you will earn this weekend! I'm thrilled to have four days off!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would definitely like our therapy kitties. I can't remember their names since we haven't been using them much, but one is orange and white and the other black and white. They are just as cute as the pup. It would be nice to have the holiday weekend off, but since that's not happening I'll be glad for the vacation $$. Enjoy your days off!

      Delete
  10. Your road trip to Gettysburg looked amazing...and I would love to travel across the USA on those famous old routes...absolutely LOVED the I Love Lucy episodes too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be so much fun, though I'm not sure I'd want my best friends along for the whole thing like Ricky and Lucy with Fred and Ethel. We might not still be friends after that long in the car together! LOL

      Delete
  11. Hello from Idaho
    There all sort of museum to see one of my friends there cousin went and seen a corning ware museum.
    Hope you find the time to stop by for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.