May 24, 2019

Saturday 9: God Bless America

I don't know how the heck it can be time for the Saturday 9 again...(didn't we just play, like, yesterday?)...but here we are, killin' it!

Saturday 9: God Bless America

Unfamiliar with Deanna Durbin's rendition of week's tune? Hear it here.



Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 


1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. Originally called Decoration Day, this is when memorials, as well as the graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers on this day to show our appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?  Not in my actual neighborhood, but there are three that I know of within a mile of our house. The number goes up dramatically if you widen it to a 5 mile radius.




2) Andrew Johnson, our 17th President, was in office the first time Memorial/Decoration Day  was celebrated. Have you ever met one of our 45 Presidents?  I shook hands with Bill Clinton once when he made a stop in our town. My son was with me, but he was pretty small. He and my daughter went with my stepdad several years later to meet George Bush.



3) According to the AAA, more than 30 million Americans will hit the road this weekend and drive more than 50 miles. Will you be traveling far from home this weekend?  Nope. I won't be traveling anywhere...except to work. I work all weekend and Memorial Day.



4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? Deviled eggs. I love those things!



5) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?  There is. The temperature made it to about 80 today (Friday). Nice outside, but it was pretty warm in the house when I got home from work.



6) Though she's belting out one of America's best loved patriotic songs, Deanna Durbin was born in Canada. Is there anyone in your family or circle of friends who wasn't born in the USA?  I have several friends who were not born in the U.S.


7) No longer a household name, Ms. Durbin was once one of the biggest stars in the country. One of her most popular films was 1937's One Hundred Men and a Girl, which was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Recommend a movie that you really like, but don't think many Saturday 9ers have seen.  Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks. It is about cold war Berlin and it was a real eye opener for me. I never realized how tough it was to live on the wrong side of the wall during those times and how high tensions ran. It gave me a better understanding of the atmosphere my dad served in.

8) Back in 1938, Deanna Durbin had her handprints cemented in front of the TCL Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. Have you ever visited that Los Angeles tourist attraction?  No, I haven't and since Hollywood stuff isn't very high on our list of things we'd like to see, I doubt I will ever visit it.


9) Random question: What food did you hate as a child, but enjoy now?  Zucchini. Oddly, I still absolutely loathe eggplant.


Enjoy your Memorial Day celebrations,
but please, be safe...and remember
what it's really all about.



30 comments:

  1. Oohh deviled eggs. Now I know what I'm making for Monday. I actually know who Deanna Durbin is. I've seen at least one of her movies and my mom had a book where she was the main character that I've also read. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deviled eggs seem to have inspired everyone! LOL I had never heard of Deanna Durbin before. She was a pretty lady.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for explaining the difference between The Days. Memorial Day IS different from Veteran's Day and Armed Forces Day!

    I loved reading your take on Bridge of Spies. That's one of the things about movies: they spur thoughts and conversations that can bring us closer together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that meme explaining things on Facebook and thought it did a great job. I know we don't always see it as a big deal, but I've run into quite a few veterans who definitely did.

      Absolutely about movies...and anything else that brings to light the ways we are all similar in some ways despite differing political or religious views.

      Delete
  3. I forgot about deviled eggs. How could I forget deviled eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! If I was making them I'd always make at least a double batch because my cousins all like them, too, and the oldest one was always a real hog. He'd pile them up on his plate and not care if anyone else got any.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed your answers Stacy. I'll have to check out Bridge Of Spies again. Have a blessed weekend and Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I think you will find Bridge of Spies interesting. I don't know that I would say you'll like it...it's such an intense movie about a rather dark period in time.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had deviled eggs in so long! I may have to make them this weekend! Have a great Saturday and weekend, even though you have to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and if you make the deviled eggs...eat one for me!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes!!! Deviled eggs. I wouldn't eat them as a kid, but love them now. You are a blessing to those people through this weekend. I am going to look for Bridge of Spies. I think we would enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I think your husband would like it. My husband is the one who wanted to see it when we went to the theater.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, deviled eggs! I love making those! Those would be on my list too.
    That is neat that you have met some Presidents! I never take the time to go see them.
    I feel the same about #8...just do not really care about it. Loved your answers! Have a nice Memorial Day weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clinton, Bush...it never mattered to me if I agreed with their politics. I was raised to respect the office no matter what and I have tried to instill that in my kids, too. I felt letting them miss school to hear a seated U.S. President speak in person was a huge educational opportunity. Their teachers did not agree and gave them a lot of grief about going to hear Bush. I got into it with a couple of them.

      Delete
  8. But you know what? For me Memorial Day is also Decoration Day My family way down in the country remembered the fallen, as well as, those of our loved ones who died.. so I still remember all on Memorial Day,,I guess it is in my blood!! But yes, You are right about the various military days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree. We don't call it Decoration Day here, but most people take flowers to the cemetery for everyone, fallen soldier or not.

      Delete
  9. I have Bridge of Spies on my DVR but haven't watched it. I should!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridge of Spies! … I totally wanted to see that when it was first released, then totally forgot. Heck, I love Tom Hanks so much, I'd probably pay to watch him read the Yellow Pages.
    Deviled eggs, yes! One of our favorite eateries offers those as a 'no extra charge' side v. fries or coleslaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh...why don't we have restaurants around here that serve deviled eggs as a side???

      Delete
  11. How did I forget Deviled Eggs? Every southern lady took them to every picnic, wake and dinner-on-the-ground. I still have tons of Deviled Egg plates to keep them from rolling around. They never see the light of day anymore. Bridge of Spies is a new movie to me, but one I would enjoy. I'll have to look for it. Now about the Eggplant. Have you never had fried eggplant? Oh my! Another Southern favorite along with fried everything else. LOL! One of our favorite dishes is Eggplant Casserole and I promise you can't taste the eggplant, but oh so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had eggplant fried and a lot of other ways, too, but not in a casserole. I just do not like it, but I'd be willing to try the casserole once.

      Delete
  12. My Joe absolutely hates eggplant. I can eat it, but it's not something I seek out. I enjoyed your Sat9!! So sorry you have to work all weekend but I know the residents and their families appreciate you very much! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deviled eggs. Yum. My husband loves those. I might have to make some now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What Country Dew said. Deviled Eggs are something I do like to make and three bean salad. "Bridge of Spies" sounds like a must see! Tom Hanks has really done an amazing body of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good movie. Not maybe a feel good one or one you'd want to watch over and over, but definitely a must see once.

      Delete
  15. OMG my mother makes the best deviled eggs on the planet. She uses a tiny bit of anchovy paste and it makes all the difference!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to try those. I'm looking at you suspiciously over the mention of anchovy paste. I'm having trouble imagining that as a good thing. LOL

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.