March 22, 2019

Saturday 9: Young and Beautiful (2013)

Saturday 9: Young and Beautiful (2013)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Lana Del Rey wrote this song for the soundtrack of The Great Gatsby. She wanted it to reflect the feelings of Daisy Buchanan. Have you read The Great Gatsby?  No. It was never assigned (that actually surprises me) in any of the many, many English classes I took in high school or college...and I've never had any desire to read it on my own.

2) In the 1970s, Robert Redford portrayed Jay Gatsby. In the 2013 version, Leonardo di Caprio played the part. In real life, both "Gatsbys" have helped raised funds for the NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council). Are you careful about recycling and conserving water/electricity?  Mmm....not nearly as careful as I should be.

3) Lana Del Rey admits that she dropped out of college because she simply could not get the required math credits. When confronted with basic addition, subtraction, multiplication or division, do you do it in your head? Reach for pencil and paper? Or do you take advantage of the calculator that's on your desktop or phone?  It depends. I definitely don't do it in my head. Most of the time I just reach for a piece of paper...even if my phone is handy.

4) She enjoys Kurt Cobain, Eminem, Elvis and Sinatra. Which of those four gentlemen did you listen to most recently?  Either Elvis or Sinatra. I listened to both of them at some point during the day. Music is a big thing in the dementia unit and I play that kind of music quite a bit.

5) Speaking of Sinatras, she has described her high maintenance look -- big hair, long nails, elaborate eye makeup, full lips -- as "Gangster Nancy Sinatra." How long does it take you, on an average day, to prepare to face the world?  Less than 5 minutes. I get hot and sweaty most days so there is no sense putting on a lot of make-up.

6) She's a big soccer fan, and her favorite team is Liverpool FC. Here in the US, college basketball fans are currently obsessed with March Madness. What's the last sporting event that you watched?  I have no idea. 

7) Her younger sister, Caroline, studied photography and is responsible for some of Lana's publicity pictures. Have you ever gotten a job because of a relative? Yes. My first baby sitting job and then my first full-time job in a foam rubber plant were through my dad.

8) In 2013, when this song came out, Pope Francis became the first pope from a Latin American country. Latin America generally includes Mexico, most of Central and South America, and in the Caribbean, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. What's the farthest south that you've ever traveled?  Hmmm...I've been to Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Florida. I'd have to check on a map to see if I was further south in Houston or Orlando and I am just too lazy at this point in the day (Friday night at 10:00) to bother.

9) Random question -- What button would you prefer your life to have: rewind, fast forward or a pause?  Probably a rewind button. There are a few things I wouldn't mind having the chance to do differently.


That's all for this week. I'm linking up with Sam @ the Saturday 9 site.  I'll catch up with you all at some point. Our two oldest grands are coming to visit so I'm going to have my hands full!

10 comments:

  1. #8 made me smile because I did look it up. Folks in Key West are so proud of being the southernmost point in the US, but I suspected they really aren't. Hawaii is farther south. Who says we don't learn from meme-ing?

    BTW, do all the grands call you the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure don't say that. I've learned lots from these memes over the years!
      Yes, all the grands call me Nanny.

      Delete
  2. I would rewind too...maybe try to get Josh out of this town so he wouldn't have had to go to this school district. We did try to see out house at one point, but had no luck. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my big rewind, too...changing some decisions we made with our kids.

      Delete
  3. I, too, would be tempted to push the Rewind button. But only if I took with me the gift of foresight. What a conundrum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I only want to rewind if I can take what I know now back with me!

      Delete
  4. Have fun with your grands! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun with those grands!! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.