March 15, 2019

Saturday 9: Molly Malone

It's Friday evening here, but I'm jumping in to get my Saturday 9 post done since this is a working weekend for me. The nice weather hung on until after I got home today. Now it's pretty windy and the temps are dropping. I think we are expecting snow flurries in the morning. Yay. Not. 

Molly Malone  
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) Are you of Irish descent?  A wee bit. Me dear old great-grandfather was from Belfast and me great-grandmother was from County Cork. My husband is Irish, too.

 


2) Legend has it that the heroine of this week's Irish ballad was a real lass. 17th century birth and burial records confirm that a woman with that name lived in Dublin. Can you think of another song about a real historic figure?  "Sweet Caroline" is supposedly about Caroline Kennedy.

3) Molly sold fish from a cart that she wheeled through the streets. What's the last seafood you ate?  We just had fried fish tonight. Lent and all that, you know. Friday night fish fries are HUGE fundraisers for churches and fire departments here in southwestern PA.

4) The lyrics tell us that, after her death, her ghost continues to wander the streets of Dublin with her wheel barrow. Do you believe in ghosts?  Nope.

5) This week's featured band, The Dubliners, are obviously from Dublin. They were introduced to American audiences on The Ed Sullivan Show. Today, Stephen Colbert tapes his show in The Ed Sullivan Theater. Who hosted the last talk show you watched?  Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest....though I am reluctant to admit it. It just came on while I was home yesterday and I was too lazy to find the remote and change it.

6) Corned beef and cabbage is a traditional St. Patrick's Day dish. Is it a favorite of yours?  YES!!  I love the stuff and if my mom isn't going to make it, I will be picking it up tomorrow evening to put in the crock pot on Sunday.

7) According to Irish legend, leprechauns earned the gold in the pot they guard by repairing shoes. Crazy Sam can't remember the last time she got a pair of shoes repaired. When the heels wear away, she discards the shoes and buys new ones. What about you? Do you get your shoes fixed (either by leprechauns or just by ordinary repairmen)?
  I don't think I've ever had any pair of shoes repaired. Maybe if I was the type to buy $500 designer shoes I'd do that.

 

8) Do you look good in green, the signature color of St. Patrick's Day?  I think I look pretty good in it. What say you?



9) Random question: Did you more recently sneeze or cough?  Uh......cough. I think. The air in the nursing home is so dry right now that my throat gets dry and irritated all the time since my job involves constant talking.


In real life...

Pete, the resident I've been asking folks to pray for, passed away this morning. I'm glad he's free of the prison of dementia, but I'm going to miss him. He was a favorite...as was his wife who visited daily. Life on the unit isn't going to be the same without them.

Found out tonight my new glasses are in. I could have gotten them tonight after work, but they didn't call my cell phone, just the house phone. Tomorrow they close before I get off work. Monday's my day off, so Monday it is! I can't wait. I'm so tired of the world looking burry.

Also, my knee is acting up. I have fallen on it several times over the years due to icy parking lots at the bus garage when I worked there, but have never had pain like this before...mostly just some discomfort from time to time. Today it starting hurting so much I'm limping when I walk and every step was beyond just discomfort. I had to go to Walmart after work anyway so, I got more Salonpas patches, a support band for my knee, and a strap-on ice pack.

That's all for today. Have a wonderful weekend and...


21 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing people's answers because it lets me meet new people and get to know a little about them. I am sorry to hear about your knee and hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like about blogging, too! It's always nice to meet new friends and what a world it has opened up. I've "met" so many people I'd never have otherwise. Thanks for visiting and for the well wishes!

      Delete
  2. Re: "Sweet Caroline" -- only the refrain was inspired by Caroline Kennedy. I state this because of a really odd rant by a friend of mine when she heard Neil Diamond wrote the song about Caroline. "She was only 12 years old then! He was a grown man. That's pervy!" So, what Neil Diamond actually said was that seeing an old news photo of the President with Caroline at the White House inspired, "Sweet Caroline, good times never seemed so good. I'd be inclined to believe they never could." Meaning we'll never return to the Kennedy Camelot years. Not that he was in love with a little girl. (Have I defended Neil's honor?)

    If I may go bossy pants on you, see if your insurance will pay for a chiropractor to look at your knee. After three months of expensive medical teats/treatments for my painful right leg -- ruling out DVT, phlebitis and diabetes -- found out that the problem is really my back and I'm blissfully almost done with treatment. It feels so good to not hurt! I wish lasting relief for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...I never even thought about it like that! I like the whole "we'll never return to Camelot" meaning.

      Our insurance does cover chiropractors. If the problem persists I will have to give that a try. I've never gone to one. At the moment, though, the knee is feeling a lot better tonight.

      Delete
  3. I totally read your answer to #1 in and Iris dialect! You look cute in green! Sorry to hear of the passing of Pete! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You looks adorable in your green! I love it!
    I hate to read this about Pete! He is free though like you said.
    I did not know this about Sweet Caroline. That is so interesting! I love that song by the way. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good thoughts.
      I like that song and Neil Diamond songs in general. I confess that I'd be happy in the "Neil-mobile" with Howard and Amy from The Big Bang Theory.

      Delete
  5. That's some green bow you got there. Love it. Re: knee, don't let it go on too long. These things have a way of compounding if you don't take care of it. Sorry you're in pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I won't. I've spent so much time preaching at my husband about getting his taken care of that I'd never hear the end of it if I didn't follow my own advice.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your answers and your photo in green! Sorry you lost your favorite patient. Always sad and it sounds like he will be missed by many. Knee pain... sorry for you. Get a cortisone shot if it persists. You are on your feet all day now. Cortisone does help (me, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments and sympathy. As for the shots...not until I absolutely, positively have to. I couldn't even stand to watch Tim get one. Ugh!

      Delete
  7. Sweet Caroline is a personal favorite of mine … great choice! (I read somewhere that he - Neil D. - performed that live at Caroline's 50th birthday party.) You look adorable in that Kelly-green outfit! I bought my first box of SalonPas pads at Wal-Mart this morning; crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a birthday present that would have been, eh?
      I hope the SalonPas patches help you.

      Delete
  8. You look great in green!

    My grandmother's folks came from County Cork, too--when I lived there, I met up with some long-lost cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      That is so neat you had some long-lost cousins to meet. I suppose I must, too, but we don't have the names of those who stayed in Ireland as far as I know.

      Delete
  9. Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest is on after the CBS morning news program here in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On CBS? They are on ABC here, after Good Morning America.

      Delete
  10. I did not know that about the song Sweet Caroline and I really like that one. Just think how exciting it will be when you put those glasses on and everything clears up for ye!! Happy St. Pat's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't wait to get the new glasses. I had to wait nearly 2 months just for the appointment so it feels like it's been forever!

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.