February 9, 2019

Sunday Stealing: BOOKS!

I'm linking up with Bev and the other thieves for Sunday Stealing, and of this week's questions, Bev says:

This is a set of book questions I found a long time ago on A Striped Armchair, which had not posted since 2015.  

1. Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?  Virtually anything that was a featured read of Oprah's Book Club. I read a couple of them over the years and found them plodding, often pretentious, and rather boring. I tend to assume they all are and that's probably not a fair assessment but I can't talk myself out of it.

2. If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?  I think, just for fun, I'd want Stephanie Plum, Lula, and Grandma Mazur for a girls' night out.

3. You are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?  Frankenstein. I've tried more than once to read it. I just can't.

4. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it?  There were a few that were required reading back in the day, but the only one I remember at all is Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham. I wrote an A+ college level paper on it without having read it. I have since read it. Just so you know.

5. As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't? Which book?  I can't think of one. I'm much more inclined to have read something and forgotten I have.

6. You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why?  I couldn't begin to guess without knowing the person. I would need to know their interests and likes, the kind of characters that draw them in movies, things like that...and then I could point them to a book that would interest them.

7. A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?  Hebrew or Greek so I could fully understand the original Bible text.

8. A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?  Little Women. I read it ever few years as it is so I'm sure I could manage to read it every year.

9. What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?  I discovered that many publishers will give you free books to review. In most cases all you have to do is ask them.

10. That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.  It has a few big floor to ceiling windows, a fireplace, the walls are covered with floor to ceiling bookshelves and there is a rolling ladder to reach those books on the upper shelves. The furniture is classic and comfortable, there is a desk and a big work table. Plenty of side tables by every seat to stack books on. There'd be lots of plants and everything would be done in rich woods and muted autumn colors. The books would be of a wide variety....anything and everything that interests me. There would be a well stocked reference section and a collection of first editions and signed editions.

14 comments:

  1. Yes! #6 - exactly how I answered!! I'll go out with you and Stephanie, Lula and Grandma Mazur!! I'm sure Ranger will show up!! Whew! (I just finished book #25.) These were hard to answer (I thought). I enjoyed yours! Mine will post at 5:00 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be a hoot of a girls' night out?! I wonder if Grandma will be packing? LOL And oh yes, I'd be a mite disappointed if Ranger didn't show up!

      Delete
  2. #4 -- You cheated! This is taking me a moment to absorb. I always imagine you taking the high road. (Though the devil in me is giving sending you a cyber high-five for the A+.)

    #2 -- Oh, I tried to get into Stephanie Plum. I brought "One for the Money" with me on vacation one year and ew! Ick! These books are so crazy popular that I realize the fault is with me, not the author. Humor is such a personal and individual thing, and Evanovich and I just don't mesh somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #4....I was young, in college, staying out too late, partying too much...Somerset Maugham did not have the allure of hunky frat boys. ;)

      #2....Evanovich's humor isn't exactly subtle or highbrow so I get that it doesn't appeal to everyone (kind of like the Stooges), but I think that's why I do like her so much. It's a safe way of letting your hair down and cutting loose.

      Delete
  3. I found Oprah's books to be so bleak. There were a few titles I ended up loving, though.

    I love your library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bleak. That is an excellent word to describe them! By the way, did I tell you I finished The Book of Speculation and while I still think it was kind of weird, I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Great library. I choose Stephanie Plum, too, along with an odd assortment of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I read a couple of early Oprah selections, but as a general rule, I agree with your comments about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's good to hear others felt the same about those Oprah picks. I've always thought it was just me.

      Delete
  6. I could live happily ever after in your virtual library, Stacy! Oops, I nearly said, "Stephanie." Now THAT would be a girls night out for the ages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Six was a really complex question, wasn't it? The original texts are hard to find. I saw an extremely old copy once when I was in Europe. (I mean, it was handwritten and that... wasn't paper...) And yeah, I think the English versions of Holy books lost quite a bit.

    As for ARCs, yup. Because the amount of ads/ attention given by giants like Amazon and B&N comes from the quantity of reviews (there's a magic number, but 5, 10, 15, 50... theories exist, but none are confirmed), ARCs mean more sales. But then Amazon won't let reviews publish before the book is for sale. And then it puts a priority on reviews from verified sales. They're trying to cut out ARCs because they didn't make money off of them, even though they won't give priority to books with less then the magic number of reviews. I know I sound crazy. But pick an indie author with a ""non-white"" name and book title and type it in, see if the first hit on Amazon isn't someone with several reviews and a slightly different spelling of their name. This just happened to me the other day. Book title and author, gave me FIVE other books before showing the one that matched my search. Better to assume I made a typo?? Yeah...

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.