February 16, 2019

Saturday 9: Valentine

Good morning! It's a working weekend for me and I'm starting my new daylight shift in the dementia unit today. Instead of 9-5 I'm working 8-4. I'm usually up so the earlier start is no problem and I am definitely excited about getting home an hour earlier!

Before I head out, let's have some fun with Sam and the Saturday 9.

Saturday 9: Valentine (1993)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This song was specially chosen for the Saturday 9 closest to Valentine's Day.

1) This is a love song written by Willie Nelson for his young son. Have you sent any Valentines this year to someone you love who isn't a romantic partner?  Just to our grandchildren.

2) Today that little boy, Lukas, is a singer/songwriter who wrote eight of the songs for the 2018 A Star Is Born soundtrack. Have you seen the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga big screen romance?  No, but I saw some clips before the Grammy Awards that have made me think I'd like to. Maybe I'll find it on cable or Netflix one of these days.

3) On Valentine's Day in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell patented the first telephone. Who did you most recently speak to on the phone?  I called Tim on my way home last night to see what he wanted for dinner. 

4) Penicillin was also introduced on Valentine's Day (in 1929). When you get a shot, do you look away when the needle touches your skin?  No. It doesn't bother me. I'm pretty sure that will change if I ever get to the point of getting cortisone shots in my feet. My podiatrist, who is also a friend, assures me it will test our friendship.

5) According to legend, a gift of red roses signifies love and romance. When did you last purchase flowers or plants? Did you buy them for yourself, or someone else?  I rarely purchase cut flowers. If I'm buying flowers they are for the flower beds or pots in the summer. I do however buy house plants now and then. I grew up in a family that fills its homes with greenery. I guess we all got it from my grandmother who had around 100 plants in her home at any given time.

6) This week's artist, Willie Nelson, can trace his family tree back to the Revolutionary War. Captain John Nelson served with the Minutemen back in 1776. If you could go back in time to witness any great moment in American history, which would you choose?  I don't know! I love studying American history and I'm having a terrible time choosing. I think it would have been cool to be around on the day they declared WWII over. The celebration and joy must have been tremendous!

7) Before he became a musical success, Willie was a door-to-door salesman, peddling first Bibles, then vacuum cleaners. INC magazine tells us that the traits of successful salespeople include resilience and good listening skills. Do you think you'd make a good sales person?  No, because I think it also takes a certain degree of pushy-ness and I just don't have that.

8) In 1993, when this song came out, Saved by the Bell aired its series finale. Crazy Sam likes to tease her brother because he once admitted to her that he has seen all 86 episodes of this teen sitcom. Is there a show that you believe you've seen every episode?  The Big Bang Theory for sure and in the past....probably M*A*S*H, Happy Days, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Andy Griffith Show and The Brady Bunch. I'm sure there are more since some shows I've been a fan of only lasted a couple of seasons.

9) Random question -- We're having milkshakes! What's your favorite flavor?  Chocolate or if it's autumn, I'll take a pumpkin spice one, please.

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm Pumpkin Spice! Loved Happy Days! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin spice is a delicious choice!

    I think it depends on WHY you are getting the cortisone shot in your foot. I had a heel spur that was not responding to treatment. After a week, my doctor FINALLY gave me the shot. She kept warning me it would hurt and the needle was really long. What she didn't seem to understand was, I was at the point of removing my own foot with a chain saw. That pain of the needle twarn't nothing compared to relief it brought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost wrote Andy Griffith... but might have missed one... somwhow... so I chose Lucy.. Glad to see someone else went that far back, of course, it's been in syndication forever... My mom passed 4 years ago but come Mother's Day I would spend a fortune of annuals to plant around her home... She loved flowers in the yard too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in need of house plants. I love having them and I have none at the moment. There is just something about having something alive like that in your house. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep reading other answers for #8 and wanting to go back to revise mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cortisone shots are pretty easy in my knees - compared to the pain without them. I enjoyed reading your answers and, as always, a few of ours are very similar! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a cortisone shot in my foot; it wasn't so bad. I think podiatrists over rate themselves on their ability to cause pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch Outlander and that would be a good time to go back in time to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even wrap my mind around getting an injection in my feet. Goosies! Because I adored the Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson version, I'm still on the fence about seeing a Star is Born.
    PS - Oh, before I forget! LOVE your response to #6. I wonder if we'll ever glimpse such National pride again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of the pumpkin spice milkshake but it sounds pretty tasty!
    I didn't think of the Brady Bunch, but I probably have seen all of them too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting. Big Bang Theory is a must watch TV series.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.