February 23, 2019

Saturday 9: No. 9 Dream

Linking up with Sam and the gang at the Saturday 9.

Saturday 9: No. 9 Dream (1974)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) John Lennon liked the number 9. It shows up in three of his songs (in addition to this song, he performed "Revolution #9" and "The One after 909" with the Beatles). He was born on the 9th of October, as was his son Sean. Coincidentally, "No. 9 Dream" hit #9 on the Billboard chart. Do you have a favorite number?  Believe it or not, 9 has always been my favorite number. When I played sports in high school I always wore #9.

2) The phrase repeated in the chorus, "Ah bowakawa pousse pousse" means nothing. It's gibberish that John sang until he could come up with "real" lyrics for this melody. Then he decided he liked the sound of it, so he kept it. Can you think of a word that's fun to say just because you like how it sounds?  Shenanigans, cattywampus, lollygag, malarkey, nincompoop....

3) John referred to "No. 9 Dream" as an example of "craftsmanship writing." A snatch of the melody just came to him and he got it down on a tape recorder, wrote lyrics, arranged it and recorded it in short order because he needed another song to finish the LP, Walls and Bridges. What's the last thing that you did because you were supposed to or you had to, and not because you wanted to?  Yesterday. The group activities I have to do with the dementia residents often seem very pointless to me these days because many of them are beyond the abilities of the residents these days, but the Dementia Care Coordinator is very resistant to change since the program is her baby. She insists that routine is the only way to operate. I agree that routine is important, but when something isn't working at all...when everyone is either sleeping or staring blankly at you...it would be nice to have the flexibility to change things a little to something they do respond to.

4) Yet once "No. 9 Dream" was recorded, it became one of John's favorite of his solo songs. He loved its ethereal feel. Tell us about something that turned out better than you thought it would.  Painting my living room walls orange. It was a whim. I went to the store to buy a nice mossy green color and came home with orange. When we put the first spot on the wall, our daughter, who was still in high school took one look and said it was "Nikelodeon Orange" (after the kids' TV channel). That sure gave me some second thoughts and my husband sure gave me some questioning looks, but we went ahead and painted and it mellowed to a very nice pumpkin spice color when dry.

5) When he was working, John drank a lot of tea, as many as 30 cups in a day. Do you take your tea with cream, sugar, honey, or lemon?  I take it with Truvia and nothing else.

6) During his reclusive years (1975 to 1980), John didn't have household help, preferring to take care of his young son and housework himself. He did, however, have a chauffeur on call around the clock. If you could afford to a staff of one, what single thing would you have him/her do?  I would so have a maid.

7) When John was a boy, he requested water colors and colored pencils for his birthday and at Christmastime. Do you recall a special birthday or Christmas gift you received as a child?  As a little kid, there was a Christmas I wanted a ventriloquist dummy and stilts (thanks to the Sears Wish Book). My parents didn't get me either one, but my grandparents got me both. The Christmas of my senior year of high school stands out, too. I already knew I where I was going to college and what my major would be (journalism) so I asked for an electric typewriter, a good leather purse, and an expensive white faux fur coat. I got all three. The purse is long gone, but the typewriter is still under my bed and the coat hangs in a closet at my mom's.

8) Beatles producer George Martin said John was "a completely impractical man." Would you describe yourself as impulsive, with flashes of practicality? Or are you practical, with flashes of impulsivity?  I know I can be impulsive, but I think (or maybe hope) that over the years I've become more practical with flashes of impulsivity.

9) Random question -- Congratulations! You just won the Saturday 9 Sweepstakes, and the prize is your choice of a boat or a motorcycle. Which one do you take?  My husband would probably not agree with my choice, but I'd take the boat. I love being out on the water and find it very relaxing and lots of people could enjoy it. If I got a motorcycle, the only one who'd enjoy it is my husband.


It's my weekend off and I am spending the day with a friend and I am really looking forward to it since we haven't really been able to get together since before Christmas. She and her husband are the couple we are going on the cruise with this summer. In fact, one of the things we are going to do today is look at the excursions and pick a couple to do. We'll also have lunch and maybe do some shopping. Just getting together and talking and laughing is what matters. Tonight my parents have invited us to go out for Lobsterfest at Red Lobster.

Enjoy your day and I'll see you tomorrow for Sunday Stealing!

20 comments:

  1. You know, I cannot get any of my foodie friends to go to Red Lobster with me, and I think they're just being jerks. I WANT TO GO TO LOBSTERFEST! It's bright, it's fun, it's affordable and it's goooooood. I am so jealous of you.

    Happy to see the Sears Wish Book in your answer. One of my first assignments as a copywriter was the Care Bears spread in the Wish Book. So it meant a lot to me, as both a consumer and a professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wish Book became the world's greatest babysitter every December! My own kids got to experience it for a few years before it went away...or maybe that was the J.C.Penney's catalog?? That one hung around a little bit longer than Sears'.

      Delete
    2. Didn't follow the career of the late foodie Anthony Bourdain but he did something that I think is pretty great.

      Marilyn Hagerty, a reporter for the Grand Forks Herald in North Dakota since forever, wrote a glowing report of the new Olive Garden in her town which went viral. Foodies around the world mocked her and tore her to shreds.

      Bourdain stepped in, offered her a book deal (as her reviews were an observation on what's been going on in small town American food for the past thirty years) and wrote a forward to her book.

      A trip to Lobsterfest sounds like fun.

      Delete
    3. Good for Bourdain! Not all small towns have fancy, schmancy restaurants...and not everyone is a foodie. Red Lobster is not the best seafood nor is it the worst. The company will be a pleasure!

      Delete
  2. A couple of things...
    I attend meetings with the CT agency on aging where we review incidents at Long Term Care facilities and how to improve their care and there was an incident with a dementia resident who was being mistreated by the other residents.
    And the other thing that came to mind was about the typewriter. When I was going off to college my father got me a typewriter with the smallest font! When you have to write a 5 page paper you want the largest font, not the smallest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nursing home I work at files reports and looks into what changes can be made if one resident mistreats another. In some cases, if it is bad enough, it's reported to the police as assault. Fortunately, that has not happened while I've been there.
      My typewriter has larger font. Maybe one day I'll be able to buy ribbon for it again.

      Delete
  3. The Sears wish book... oh my, the memories, and the fights over who got to look through it first. Fun times! Mmm Red Lobster!! Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the Wish Book was the world's best babysitter every December!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! The Wishbook! What an event that was at my house--each of my sisters and I would write our initial by the toys we wanted, you can imagine 4 little girls!

    I love your list of fun words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lobsterfest sounds great. Our Red Lobster just isn't good anymore since they changed ownership of the parent company. Lakeland had the very first Red Lobster. One of our claims to fame. Wish we still had a good one!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Lobster was something pretty new when we lived in Orlando back in 1985-86 and when people came to Florida to visit they wanted seafood. That's where we went. I can remember Tim getting what must have been about a 5 pound lobster for around $20!

      Delete
  7. We LOVED the wish books. I"m sorry my kids never got to experience them. I spent hours looking through them each year.

    I hear you about the dementia residents. At 99 my mother has become a toddler and can't repeat what she said if I can't hear it because she doesn't remember what she was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your kids didn't experience them then I must be remembering my kids looking at the J.C. Penney's catalog.

      Dementia can be frustrating to say the least, but I can't look at them and not think of who they used to be (even if I only know it from reading their histories). I don't know how anyone can be unkind to those who are so dependent and helpless.

      Delete
  8. One of our former rental homes featured an orange accent wall we both fell in love with. Then there was my wall-to-wall orange shag … horrors, hee-hee! I hope your time today was great fun; half the fun of a trip (to me, anyway) is in the planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing the horror of an orange shag carpet. Ewwwww! (But then I'd say that about ANY color of shag carpet!)

      Delete
  9. The orange wall sounds wonderful and I will always choose a boat. I am scared of motorcycles.
    I hope you have a great time with your friend! Shenanigans! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I'm not fond of motorcycles these days, either. Too many people on the road who don't pay attention and it makes it too dangerous for me!

      Delete
  10. I think I love you. :-) I have my old typewriter, too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.