February 13, 2019

A Valentine's Medley



The weather outside is frightful, but the Wednesday Medley is sure delightful! Linking up today with Terri @ Your Friend From Florida.




VALENTINE’S DAY

Valentine’s Day began as St. Valentine’s Day, a liturgical celebration of one or more early Christian saints named Valentinus.  February 14th, Valentine’s, Day first became associated with romantic love during the High Middle Ages as the tradition of courtly love was then flourishing.  During 18th century England, this day evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery and sending Valentine cards.    
HOW TO OBSERVE
Get something special for your Valentine and use #ValentinesDay to post on social media.
HISTORY
Credit is traditionally given to Pope Gelasius for declaring February 14 as Saint Valentine’s Day around the year 496 to separate the church from the Roman celebration of Lupercalia, an ancient pagan fertility festival which occurred on February 15th.  


1.  I think St. Valentine's Day is for everyone, whether you have a romantic love interest or not.  I received a Valentine card from my sister (thank you Patti!) - case in point.  It is all about LOVE, not just romantic love.  What are your traditions for celebrating Valentine's Day?  I don't really have any traditions. I make sure to send something to all the grandkids and cards to their parents. Tim and I work so we don't usually go out. We'll exchange cards and maybe make a special meal at home or go out before or after the fact.
2.  When you were in elementary school, did you decorate a shoe box and deliver those little valentines to all your classmates?   Perhaps in Sunday School?  I remember passing out valentines to everyone, but I can't remember if we had specially decorated boxes. Never did them in Sunday School.

3.  Do you enjoy playing Cupid?  Have you ever introduced a couple who really clicked?  I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I have brought about one match. Years ago I met one of my husband's coworkers and told my husband right away that the guy would be a perfect match for his sister. Tim wouldn't do anything about it, so I took it into my own hands. One day when he was helping Tim with a side job, they came to the house for dinner and I invited my sister-in-law. The rest is history.
4.  Which traditional Valentine's Day gift would you rather receive:  Chocolate, flowers, or a card with a personal message?  Any of them would be appreciated, but I suppose I'd have to admit chocolate might have a slight edge. 
5.  What is the best movie to watch on Valentine's Day?  Any rom-com would do. Some of my favorites are: While You Were Sleeping, Sweet Home Alabama, Hope Floats, The Proposal...  Can you tell Sandra Bullock is my favorite actress?
6.  Tell us something random about your week! Tomorrow is my only day off through an 8-day stretch. I'm looking forward to it and will most likely use it to make a nice dinner for Valentines Day...a surprise to Tim since between take out and leftovers I haven't cooked yet this week! I'm looking forward to giving Colton his Valentine in person. I found a cute pop-up card he will like and got him a whole collection of kids movies and cartoons on DVD as he is really into his shows these days.

22 comments:

  1. That’s great that you were able to fix up your sis in law! Good job. I didn’t think about Hope Floats. I do keep that on my dvr. The little girl is my favorite in that one. Your little Colton will be delighted with your gifts and Tim will enjoy your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bertie? Birdie? I forget the little girl's name, but she is so cute. I admit I like Harry Connick Jr. in that one, too. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love me some Sandra Bullock too!!!... also love me some Sweet Home Alabama - I watch that every time its on.
    I can totally remembering decorating shoe boxes for valentines at school. such a fun school day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember giving Valentines...I don't know why I can't remember making the boxes. Maybe just because it's never been that big of a deal to me. Who knows.

      Delete
  3. I love Sandra Bullock. She's fantastic. My favorite is Two Week's Notice with Hugh Grant. What a fun movie! Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good one, too! I like nearly all of her movies.

      Delete
  4. It's so nice that you can be off tomorrow for Valentine's Day. Preparing a nice meal for you to share sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a nice Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  5. Sandra Bullock is my favorite, too.. I love her in everything ... well, except this weird one on Netflix.. Have no desire to watch that one... I loved Lake House, as well.. I like the chemistry between her and Keanu..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you're talking about Bird Box...it looked weird enough I have no desire to watch it. I'm wondering if she's trying to show she's still "cool" and "relevant" even though she's getting older...seems to be something a lot of them feel the need to prove.

      Delete
  6. Have a wonderful time making a special Valentine dinner! How nice that you end up having the day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first "holiday" I've had off since I started working at the home!

      Delete
  7. That's such a cool story about your BIL and SIL! Love Sandra Bullock, too … but even after two viewings I'm scratching my head over Bird Box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no plans to watch Bird Box because just the previews seemed really weird to me. Yeah, it's kind of cool about the SIL...too bad she is the one that Tim really doesn't talk to these days.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I love Harry Connick Jr. in it. He's just too cute. Never thought so in anything else, though.

      Delete
  9. Yes, just about anything Sandra Bullock does is good, especially the older ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the older ones...some of the newer ones are a little out there for me.

      Delete
  10. I love all of those Sandra Bullock movies too! She is so great! How fun that your playing cupid worked out! Thanks so much for joining the Medley today! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice you made a match for your sis-in-law! That is so sweet!
    I am glad you get a day off! Enjoy! Loved your answers! Happy Valentine's Day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.