January 13, 2019

Sunday Stealing: Storywise


I'm linking up with Bev and the rest of the "thieves" at Sunday Stealing today. Of today's questions, Bev says:

This is kind of weird.  It's from a set of "Storywise" cards that were made for Alzheimers patients, which they have at the facility where my mother lives.

Working in the dementia unit of a nursing home I'm very familiar with cards like this. We have several sets, though not this particular one. The name of the game (all the games) is to engage the residents and try to spur their memories. Many "live" in an earlier time in their memories and will talk of things gone by as if it is the present. The rule? Meet them in their reality. If they think they are 18 and getting ready for the sock hop, don't try to convince them of the reality that they are 85 with grown up grandchildren. You will only upset them and cause distress. You will find that many residents in such places are more comfortable and happy knowing family members as friends because if they are that 18 year old, how can their sister be old? Or if they think they are a young mother, how can their sweet baby be in their 50s? Imagine their distress when someone insists on pushing the issue. 

1. The strangest place you've ever been.  I think that honor has to go to Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum, a tacky little roadside place along U.S. Route 30 in Pennsylvania. It's a personal collection of everything and anything to do with elephants, a candy and toy store, and a rather creative garden. See for yourself...









2. Unusual food combinations you enjoy.  I just answered this in another meme the other day, but maybe my thinking cap is on a little straighter today and I can think of something. I know! People like apples with cheese and apples with peanut butter. I like my apples with both at the same time.

3. Your best cure for hiccups. Breathe in deeply through your mouth, hold it for a moment, and then swallow without exhaling. You can exhale after you swallow. If you can manage that, it usually cures the hiccups. I've used that method for years as I get hiccups all the time.

4. Something you have never done but would like to try.  Swimming with dolphins.

5. A routine you do every day without fail. Get up. Go to the bathroom. Let the dog(s) out.

6. Something new you've recently learned.  There's an app called "What's in my refrigerator?" My niece was telling me about it yesterday. You input what's in your fridge and it scans the universe to give you recipes using what you have. I'm going to look for it today.

7. Your keenest sense.  I'm not really sure these days. It used to be my hearing, but if I'm honest, I have to admit that sometimes these days I have a bit of trouble hearing conversation in noisy situations. I guess, maybe, it would be my sense of smell, but again....not so sure since working in a nursing home can really bombard you with odors and I don't always trust my sniffer. I'm also getting pretty good at shutting out smells when I need to.

8. Whether you prefer cooking or cleaning up.  Cooking. Cooking is creative and fun. Cleaning up is drudgery. 

9. Where were you the last time you saw the sun rise.  Here at the house.

10. A recent time you were embarrassed.  One day at work a long strip of toilet tissue got stuck to my shoe and I walked all the way from one side of the building to the other before anyone pointed it out, even though I saw plenty of people along the way. 

11. An everyday sound that delights you.  My grandson's giggles.

12. The last conversation you had with a stranger.  Yesterday afternoon at Walmart. I had a very long "discussion" with the pharmacist concerning the amount of time I had waited for Tim's prescriptions. I dropped them at 2:00 and was told it would be 30 minutes. I went and did some shopping, got Colton's hair cut, browsed, etc. and returned 50 minutes later. The woman at the counter looked it up and said they were nearly done and it wouldn't be long. So Megan, Colton and I sat on the bench to wait. 

We waited and waited and waited. After 30 minutes Megan called her husband to come get her and Colton because she is pregnant and wasn't feeling well. After 40 minutes I started giving the cashier pointed looks...which she tried to avoid. After 60 minutes I finally lost it and went to the counter and demanded to know the reason I had to wait so long. No one could give me an answer and amazingly, they were able to put my prescriptions in a bag right then and hand it to me. 

Basically, I sat for an hour waiting while they continued to fill prescriptions for people who weren't sitting there waiting. I sent Walmart a complaint and told the pharmacist I wouldn't be using their pharmacy any longer. His response? I'm no where near the first person to say that and then he confided that he doesn't even use it.  

I told Tim he was lucky he didn't have to come bail me out. If ever there was a time I felt like punching someone in the face...

20 comments:

  1. Weren't these rather provocative questions... I love your answers... your answer to #1 really made me laugh.. I inherited my hisband's mother' elephant collection in a huge box.. she had every possible kind of elephant you can imagien youd ever find in touristy shops or anywhere else including a lamp, ashtrays, etc.. I kept the ones that spoke to me.. but, alas, the rest reside at the Goodwill to this day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a really good round of questions. It's nice that you could select a few of your mother-in-law's elephants to keep and pack the rest off.

      Delete
  2. Whoa on the pharmacy wait! That's not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say (before I was outraged on your behalf) that I appreciate what you said about meeting the dementia patients where they are--very insightful.

      Delete
    2. The pharmacy thing was so not right and they do it to people all the time! Thanks for the kind words. I really do care about the dementia patients and try to improve things for them and educate others. It's such a difficult thing for everyone to bear.

      Delete
  3. Oh that is awful about the Walmart pharmacy. I have never used it, but I don;t think I will be after your story. Who has that kind of time to just sit around and wait? They sound incompetent.
    The elephant museum is interesting! Surely I have been somewhere bizarre like that and just can't remember. Loved your answers! Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it is the actual staff's fault or if they have to follow the rules of some manager somewhere who isn't actually there. Whatever it is, they need to do a major rehab on customer service.

      Delete
  4. It always puzzles me why it takes so long to fill a prescription when mostly all they have to do is count pills and put them into a smaller bottle.

    I have to visit the elephant museum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it, either. Our Walmart has a board they put your name on when you come back and your prescription still isn't ready. It's supposed to mean they get to it right away. Apparently, it doesn't work.

      Delete
  5. Aren't baby giggles sweet?
    Loved the Elephant museum and #6..... it's definitely something to try.
    The pharmacist was pretty honest, and isn't that refreshing! But the WAIT! gah!
    Hearing and the sense of smell... Yes they do fade over time. Happily we keep enough of them to stay alive. I'm thinking of Gas and Smoke, etc..
    Have a lovely week, and I'm so glad you do not have to drive that bus anymore! The huge snowstorm is coming your way. Stay warm enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zippi. I'm glad I'm not in the bus any more, too, but the storm didn't do much to us. We only have about 2 inches of snow and the roads are clear.

      Delete
  6. We use Publix for our prescriptions and so far don't have too many complaints. Every time I am at Walmart and see the lines waiting for prescriptions, I am so glad I don't have to use them. You held your tongue better than I would have! One of the ladies here in our community has a collection of over 1,200 elephants. I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't quite hold my tongue. I didn't say anything really mean to the pharmacist, but I muttered a whole lotta stuff while I was sitting there waiting that may or may not have been heard.

      Delete
  7. Whoa … that elephant museum is ccccrazy! Makes me wonder if the owner/proprietor isn't a bit of a hoarder? Hard to imagine your self-control at the pharmacy. I can't get over the irony: Yesterday was National Pharmacist's Day!

    Thank you for sharing your personal insights with those suffering from dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While you guys are looking at the all the elephants I'll be in the gift shop with all the candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be with you. They have just about any candy you can imagine...still in the bins where you get a little paper sack and mix and match to fill it. You know I had a bag when I left!

      Delete
  9. Being that I'm into elephants right now, I want to see that museum, which looks quite bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's right on Rt. 30 somewhere between Chambersburg and Gettysburg in PA.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.