January 14, 2019

In-laws, Wally World Woes & Snow

As promised, Megan, Colton and I met up with two of Tim's sisters, two of our nieces, five of their children (that makes them grand or is it great nieces and nephews?), a family friend, and a partridge in a pear tree for lunch and a fun-filled trip to the cemetery on Saturday. Okay, no bird in a tree, but no one would have noticed in the chaos if there had been. If you are friends with me on Facebook you saw the pictures one of my sisters-in-law posted. Megan, Colton and I were there, but barely. We are just background and not really part of things.

We're the 2 on the far end. My SIL sat like that with her back
to me the entire time...even when she was eating.

We're sort of in the middle here, but standing back further
than the rest. The focus is, as always, on the one sister's
kids and grandkids...who the entire family treats as if they
walk on water. I wouldn't care, but it is blatant and has 
really hurt my kids over the years. 


I'm still not sure why they always insist we must come along...other than I suppose they can pat themselves on the back and feel good that they've done their family duty. The sister-in-law who was visiting from out of state said hello and goodbye to me and that was more than she said to Megan.

If you've been around long enough to know the story, she is the mother of the cousin Megan went to Florida to live with only to be held a virtual prisoner with no way to get anywhere, no businesses nearby to get a job, and they took what money she had...along with stealing from their roommate and they even stole Megan's I.D. I reported it stolen before they could try to use it and they went ballistic on her. I had bought her a plane ticket and had to send her cousin gas money to drive her to the airport because neither she nor her fiancé worked...and they still don't. Both the cousin and the mother posted some very unkind things about Megan on Facebook the day she flew home. They later took them down, but the damage was done. The cousin and Megan can be civil if they run into each other. My sister-in-law just doesn't speak to her. Mature, no?

Anyway, the visiting sister was all about her 5 grandkids and couldn't be bothered to talk to anyone else. I get that we love our grands, but she is going to be here for about a month and has been spending every waking moment with them. She didn't even sit with the adults, but at the kiddie table. I'm not sure she even talked to Colton. The other sister is the one Tim had the huge falling out with that ended with us being excommunicated for a couple of years. We talk now, but it's never been the same. We are still the black sheep of the family and our kids and grandkids are not as wonderful as all the others...and they know it and really don't have much use for that side of the family.

That's all a pretty long-winded way of saying the kids ruled the show (not Colton who is a little younger and didn't know quite what to do with them and they didn't pay him too much attention). They were running all over the place, yelling, not eating, and then one got sick all over the place. I thought for sure we'd skip the cemetery, but nope, we still went. Only to freeze while the boys stomped all over grave markers and picked up things people had sat out on the graves and dropped them or threw them. That only lasted 10 or 15 minutes, thankfully, and then we could make our escape while the rest went on to spend the afternoon together. My duty is done for another good long while.

We stopped at Walmart on the way home to get Tim's prescriptions filled and pick up a few things and that is where the great pharmacy fiasco I described in yesterday's post took place. My already not so great mood, hit rock bottom. Thank goodness I came home to find Tim had put together the 8-cube storage shelf I had ordered. He wasn't feeling that great so it was a surprise. We laid it on its side so it's only 2 cubes high, but 4 long. I found X inserts online for the bottom cubes so we can keep our wine in it and got canvas bins for the top to hold all our movies. I really like how it turned out and it was pretty inexpensive as entertainment cabinets go.

The shelf was missing a couple of screws so we had to make a run to Lowe's for those and we decided to eat out at a local place. Tim had a fish sandwich and I had the lasagna special. Rich, gooey, cheesy....comfort food at its best and exactly what I wanted after my afternoon!

It started snowing in earnest while we were at dinner and the roads were a little slick on the way home. It was good to get home, get into my jammies and settle in to watch Columbo reruns.

Sunday we got up and did the grocery shopping after breakfast and then just hung out around the house the rest of the day. It was still cold and snowy, though we didn't get much accumulation. It was a nice relaxing break, which Tim needed since he still wasn't feeling 100%. He says I brought the germ home from work. I say I didn't, that he doesn't have what's going around at work. He asked how I knew and I told him because he isn't living in the bathroom! They haven't said, but based on some signs that have shown up in staff areas at work, I think it can be assumed we are dealing with the norovirus. He definitely does not have that. I've had that. Sickest I've ever been in my life!

6 comments:

  1. WOW Stacy! Way to be the bigger person though - you are a way better person than me! That is horrible the way they treat you guys. I think I would definitely be opting out of that trip. I would just tell them..."Oops, we forgot all about the yearly trip and just went yesterday". So sorry to have to miss lunch and visiting with you all." UGH! They are just childish but I also think you should not have to be subjected to spending any time with them AT ALL! That picture with her back to you is AWFUL! My serenity is far too precious to be around people like that! I feel very blessed for my family right now! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family always sounds wonderful! I thought Tim's was when I was younger, but as time went on it became clear they've always had one set of "rules" for themselves and another for Tim. I know it hurt him terribly over the years and still does even though he denies it. They've hurt our kids over the years, too, by so obviously favoring the others and blaming ours for everything that ever went wrong. I do avoid most things with them, but I go just enough to keep the peace because I want Tim to have the option of having more than a casual relationship with them if he ever wants to.

      Delete
  2. OH man... what a tough weekend. I have to say, I seriously would just be with Tim & stay home next time around. If you dont even get any respect or even a little bit of kindness, then its not even worth going. Life is too short to take time out for others & just be treated like you're not really there.
    & poor Tim not feeling good.
    Next weekend - hoping its much more relaxed & healthy & enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to avoid get togethers and mostly do, but when I do give in I do it for Tim and the kids. They are their blood relatives...they should have the option of having relationships with them if they ever want to.

      Delete
  3. What mean-spirited individuals! I admire your taking the high road (again). Hopefully, your example will rub off on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrid woman and what a shame for the example she is setting for the youngsters. Good that you can rise above it. Not sure I could keep quiet. Bless you! Glad Tim is feeling some better and that you had some down time Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.