January 18, 2019

Saturday 9: '65 Love Affair

I'm linking up with Sam and the Saturday 9 crew tonight (Friday) because it's pretty up in the air what tomorrow will bring with the winter storm bearing down on us. The nurses' aides at work have already been told to bring spare clothes in case they have to stay over due to the next shift not being able to get to work. The governor has already declared a state of emergency for Saturday and Sunday. Tim isn't working so he's said if it gets so bad I can't get home in my car, he'll come and get me in the truck.

So, here's this week's song selection. Good one, Sam. I love this song!

Saturday 9: '65 Love Affair (1977)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The first line of this song is, "I was a car hop." Car hops used to take orders and bring diners food to eat in their cars. Today, the drive through lane has pretty much replaced car hops. Think about the last time you went to a fast food restaurant. Did you order at the counter or at the drive through window?  I usually go through the drive through. I'm not really a fan of eating inside fast food places. That said, I could still get waited on by a car hop if I wanted to. There's a Sonic in the next town over and I believe it still has car hops, though I'm not totally sure since we never go there. 

2) Mr. Davis sings that his girlfriend was "bad with her pom-poms." Presumably she was a cheerleader. Share one of your school's cheers.  I have wracked my brain and I've got nothing. Don't tell my high school bestie as she was a cheerleader. Can't have her knowing I apparently wasn't paying attention to what she was doing!

3) The lyrics tell us he believes that if he could go back in time, his girl would still be his. If you could travel back in time to your high school years, what would you enjoy doing again? What would you do differently?  I guess I would enjoy playing sports again, writing for the school newspaper, and the summer I worked in the Poconos, but on the whole....you couldn't pay me enough to go back and do it again. I was kind of a nerdy (brainy) tomboy and high school was not my favorite time of life.

4) During his performing days, Paul Davis sported a full beard and flowing hair. We're using that to check your powers of observation and recollection. Think of the last man you spoke to. Who was he? Describe his hair, and tell us whether he was clean shaven. It was my husband. His hair is short and a salt and pepper gray. He has a moustache and he needs a shave (he's the type that can grow a beard in a week).

5) Paul Davis was born in Meridian, MS, and that's where he returned to when he went into semi-retirement in 1982. Meridian's biggest employer is the Naval Air Station in Meridian. Do you know anyone who is currently in, or employed by, the military?  We have both a brother-in-law and a nephew-in-law who are in the National Guard. The nephew is just beginning his career and has never been deployed. The brother-in-law has done several tours of duty in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

6) He was a pool player and a golfer. Which sport are you better at?  I used to be pretty good at both, but it's been ages since I've played either one. I'll go with pool since you don't really have to be in great shape to play that.

7) Sadly, he died in 2008, on the day after his 60th birthday. His best friend remembers him as "a homebody," who enjoyed staying up long into the night with his friends, playing and listening to music. Describe your perfect way to spend an evening.  The weather would be nice (and warm), there'd be a bonfire, and the adults would be talking while the kids ran around and played. We'd probably have to make s'mores and mountain pies, too.

8) The publishing rights to "'65 Love Affair," as well as Paul Davis' bigger hits ("Cool Night" and "I Go Crazy"), are owned by another Paul -- Paul McCartney. Sir Paul's MPL Publishing Company has made him a very rich man, and Paul says that's because he chose to invest in music, something he loves. What about you? If you were to invest in a business or industry you love, which would you choose?  BOOKS!!!

9) Random question --You're at a party and one of your host's best friends is a real egghead who tries to draw you into a conversation about paradigmatic counter existentialism. Would you: a) just listen politely while letting your mind wander; b) admit you don't know what the hell he's talking about; c) explain why you personally feel that the counter existential paradigm just adds unnecessary complexity to the individual's search for meaning?  B. Life's too short to fake it. And quite frankly, I've reached the point in life where I don't feel the need to impress anyone (except an employer).

18 comments:

  1. It must have been so worrisome for your family when your brother-in-law was in country!

    #7 was filled with scents. I could literally almost smell your answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's always a worry, but he was usually in relatively "safe" locations so it wasn't maybe as constant a worry as it is for some.

      I didn't think about it, but there are a lot of scents associated with #7's answer.

      Delete
  2. I see a number of us pointed out Sonic still have car hops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh a bonfire... perfect!! We have a couple of Sonic's here... I love their tots and cherry limeade's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! So many blogs so far have said they would blow off the egghead. I am just too nice. I would want to, but I would listen. I need to stop being like that.
    I love Sonic! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of people I'd be too nice and sit through, but a pretentious blowhard? Not so much.

      Delete
  5. Loved your answer to #7. I remember those days. Now the kids are grown and half the adults are dead, so it's just us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been feeling that way, but now the grandkids are coming along so we're on to round two!

      Delete
  6. Loved your response to #9, Stacy! A bonfire sounds so inviting … but what in the heck is a mountain pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make mountain pies in cast iron forms in a campfire. You need two slices of bread and a filling. Some people like to make cherry or apple ones. I like pizza pies (pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese) and ones filled with peanut butter, chocolate chips, and marshmallow. You assemble them in the irons then stick the irons in the coals to toast it all. YUM!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading your responses to today's Sat9. Your bonfire would be more fun than watching TV (my response) but we have no place here for a bonfire. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss beach bonfires, but we had a few big campfires last year with the kids. And yes, life is to short to argue with or listen to a bore talk about something that is pretty unrelated to actual, workable facts. True. Have a great week Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to a beach bonfire...it sounds heavenly. The campfires are fun, too, though.

      Delete
  9. Nothing like a good bonfire to bring on the asthma . . . hack hack! Just kidding. It sounds like a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah. I usually have to move out of the smoke a couple of times.

      Delete
  10. I've never been to a Sonic (they aren't this far north).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly didn't think they were all that great, but I know there are those who do.

      Delete
  11. There are so many things that I would do different when it comes to high school. But even bigger on my list is to be glad that it is all over and not look back.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.