January 9, 2019

A Shocking Wednesday Medley



1.  It may be a little shocking, but National Static Electricity Day is January 9!!  Do you often get shocked often when you touch metal?  Here are some things to avoid!  Yes! I hate the dry winter months as I am one who gets zapped every time I get in and out of the car, every time I get up from the sofa, and in a new development...nearly every time I touch a resident at the home. I feel so bad for them! (and me!) Metal isn't even required to get zapped except for the car. With the car, I am very careful to always do like the directions at the gas station say and touch the car to get rid of the charge before I start pumping gas.








How to Avoid the Shock of Static Electricity

  • The drier air of winter months is a better insulator than the more humid air of summer.  To help prevent static electricity, use a humidifier to put moister back into the air in your home during the winter months.
  • Our skin is drier in the winter months, too.  Putting on moisturizer before getting dressed is recommended.
  • Synthetic fabrics are better insulators than natural fibers. Wearing materials made from natural fibers such as cotton will help reduce the amount of static electricity that’s stirred up.
  • While walking around the house, at work or shopping, holding a key or a metal pen in your hand will help discharge the build-up of static electricity painlessly.
  • Switching to leather soled shoes versus rubber-soled shoes will help reduce the amount of static that is built up.

2.  There are actually two "National" days worthy of mention! It is also National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day.  Our men and women working in many areas of law enforcement put their lives on the line for us daily.  Do you know someone working in law enforcement who you can thank today?  I don't think I personally know anyone these days. I did know a couple, but one has retired and the other went to a career that paid more. I would gladly thank an officer I don't know if I saw one, but that is unlikely. I'll just say a prayer for all law enforcement.
3.  At our house right now it is all about football.  Joe's Philadelphia Eagles barely won their game on Sunday to move forward in the playoffs and another chance to play in the Super Bowl this year.  Do you have a favorite team in the playoffs or does football make you yawn?  Is there a Super Bowl party in your future, no matter the teams playing?  No Super Bowl excitement here. My Steelers didn't make the playoffs. Tim grew up in a home where sports weren't watched and he continues that tradition. I like to watch the Steelers and a little college football now and then (Sooners and Crimson Tide), but otherwise I don't really care too much. I think Super Bowl weekend is a working one for me, anyway. 

4.  Speaking of parties, there is always lots of food at parties I attend.  Tell us a weird food combination that you really enjoy (or have enjoyed).  It doesn't have to be party food.  I'm drawing a blank this morning. I can't think of anything that seems weird...to me, at least. I like to eat my sauerkraut on mashed potatoes, which is normal around here but was seen as weird when we lived in Florida. I learned to eat my ham and bean soup on a thick slice of homemade bread on a plate from my dad. He also taught me to put sugar on cottage cheese and tomatoes. Sorry, that's all I can think of.

5.  Since we are on games and parties, what game have you spent the most hours playing?  Lately, that honor goes to UNO and bingo. Those are definitely the two most popular games at the home. We run bingo three afternoons a week for the residents and UNO is played most evenings and now and then during the afternoon.

6.  Tell us something random about your week so far.  I got a call from one of Tim's sisters yesterday. His sister who lives in Mississippi is back to stay with her oldest daughter while her husband is away for military training. They invited me and Megan to meet up with them on Saturday for lunch and to visit the cemetery where Tim's parents and both siblings who have passed on are buried. Megan and I kind of hate the group cemetery thing, but the sisters get kind of put out if we don't go, so go we will. Tim isn't planning to work, but he will not go. He doesn't care how much it upsets his sisters. He hates the family visits to the cemetery. In looking at the weather forecast for Saturday, Megan and I better dig out the long underwear. It's supposed to be in the 20s for a high and possibly be snowing!

Well, I am off to get ready for work. If you thought this was fun and would like to join in with Terri today, you can do so at her blog, Your Friend From Florida. Have a wonderful day!

16 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the cemetery thing. Hope you enjoy the lunch, though. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on the group visit either. We were happy with the Clemson win as we live nearby. I'm an Eagles fan and they've squeaked into the playoffs so we'll see how far they go. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eagles are on the wrong side of the state, but I do think it would be neat to see the Eagles and the Steelers play in the Super Bowl one day.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad other people picked up the slack on football, for I sure didn't have anything. Sauerkraut and mashed potatoes with butter and large ring balogna. (Sp??) Haven't had it for years but loved it when I was a kid! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I'd go to the cemetery either but it's super nice of you to put the sisters' feelings as a priority. Football is something I've loved since I was a wee little girl and watched with my dad every weekend. Sadly, football season was not good to me this year. :( I'm hoping we get some nice, cold winter weather. We are not usually freezing cold here but do at least get some winter where the days don't go above the 40 degree mark. This year, it seems spring and summer are trying to rob us. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched football (and every other sport on the planet) with my dad, too. Plus, I live in the town where the Steelers hold their training camp. I used to go to that every summer when I was young. It's so commercial now that I stay away. As for the cold, you can have ours. The temp dropped today and we're at about 20 degrees right now with blowing snow. The rest of the week and weekend are looking about the same.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of putting sugar on cottage cheese or tomatoes. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We;re learning our 'family cemetery' life thing now with dad. I thought we'd all go together at Christmas but no one wanted to go with me... & that was OK - I enjoyed talking to dad by myself. I know he's not really there though. It's just a personal thing I think.
    My coworker was dating a police officer who just got killed in the line of duty here a month ago - I give props to everyone who serves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each their own. Tim and I just like to go alone or maybe just the two of us. We just aren't into the whole group standing around and piling junk on the graves as sort of a shrine. They just get upset with us if at least one of us doesn't go.

      Delete
  7. I'd totally forgotten about static electricity around gas tanks. Thanks! Never heard of the tradition, but sauerkraut atop the mashed potatoes sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget! You don't want to go ka-boom!
      Sauerkraut on mashed potatoes is awesome comfort food.

      Delete
  8. I am always getting shocked. It drives me crazy!
    Uhhhh, the cemetery thing I would have passed on and not cared how they felt, so I think you are amazing! Good for you! So nice to think of others! I loved your answers! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, it's not so much thinking of them as it is just keeping the peace.

      Delete
  9. #4... those are all normal for me, growing up in the Midwest! I don't care for cemetery visits either but sometimes you just have to go. Thanks for joining in on yesterday's Medley! I am late getting here!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.