January 16, 2019

A Do Nothing Wednesday

It's Wednesday, so that means it's time to link up with Terri @ Your Friend From Florida for the Wednesday Medley. Thanks to Terri for hosting and for coming up with great questions every week. Please visit her blog to see how to play along and find the links to others who are playing.




Wednesday, January 16th, is National Do Nothing Day!! National Nothing Day was proposed in 1972 by columnist Harold Pullman Coffin. This day has been observed annually since 1973. Of course, the way to celebrate it is to do nothing! 

1.  To commemorate Do Nothing Day in SOME way, tell us something about your life (or the life of someone close to you) in 1973!!  I was 9 years old in 1973 and my family was living in a private wildlife preserve as my dad was the manager. The preserve was also a research facility so there was a staff biologist and college students who were working on their master's and doctorate degrees. Much of life inside the fence resembled those grainy old wildlife films from the 1970s. I spent my time outside of school running through the woods and mountains, riding my bike, and studying nature. My constant companions were the research animals. 

2.  Now that we are thinking back, please tell us what your favorite past time was as a child.  I'd have to say it was a tie between reading and riding my bike.

3.  What is the best way to cheer you up on a bad day? Leave me alone to spend some time with God. Really fun, bouncy, happy music is not a bad way, either.

4.  How old were you when you first started dating? Do you remember your first date?  I didn't really start dating until college and I don't remember my first date there because in college we didn't really go out on "official" dates. It was more just hanging out together except for fraternity formals or something.

5.  Today is also National Fig Newton day.  Do you like figs/Fig Newtons?  I think I liked Fig Newtons when I was a kid, but today the answer is no and no.

6.  Tell us something random about your week.  I mentioned yesterday that we had gotten rid of the old wine bar and replaced it with a cube storage unit that we outfitted with X-partitions on the bottom for the wine and canvas cubes for all our movies on the top row. I didn't have a picture of the new unit, though. Today I do.

The old...


The new...




That's all for today. Have a blessed and wonderful Wednesday!

13 comments:

  1. Your childhood sounds really interesting! I bet you learned a lot that other kids have never learned. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I loved every minute of it and it broke my heart when we left. I really did learn so much. The biologist and the college students all had tremendous patience with me and my endless curiosity and spent hours explaining things to me. Often they'd even come get me because they knew I'd be interested in something.

      Delete
  2. Bouncy, happy music … yessss! Your new storage unit is beautiful; but how I'd love to have your old one. I wish we lived closer and could come load it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new rack! That looks fantastic!! Great job! I am with you with quiet God time! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am becoming a big fan of cubes and IKEA style decorating. The older I get, the less I seem to like to see all the clutter. I want it in bins, drawers, and cabinets and out of sight!

      Delete
  4. I love that cubed holder! I have one similar I use for my photo equipment & one that holds my yarn. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 3-cube one that serves as a coffee table and another 3-cuber that I sat up on end and put lined wire baskets in to act as a file cabinet.

      Delete
  5. I love animals, I would think living in a wildlife preserve would be fun and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wildlife preserve sounds awesome! I was also a huge fan of my bike. I loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wonderful description of your childhood sounds magical!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.