December 20, 2018

Thankful Thursday: There's Always a Silver Lining



Today I'm linking up with the sweet Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand for Thankful Thursday. She really is the best person I can think of to host this little group. Life has dumped so, so much on her this year and through it all she has maintained the most thankful attitude, always looking for the blessings and the good in some pretty awful situations. Many would have been broken by what she has had to deal with in such a short time, but she carries on and is an inspiration to all who know her (even if only online). I pray more than anything, dear friend, that 2019 is a kinder, healthier year for you!



** first and foremost, this beautiful season in which we remember the birth of our Savior and the incredible sacrifice he and the Father made for us. How humbling to think that the God of heaven, the creator of the universe, left it behind to live among us and ultimately to die for us. Because.....HE LOVED US that much! He still loves us that much today and He will love us that much tomorrow!

** Tim being able to wear a walking boot and keep on working while his foot is broken...because he'd keep on working even if he wasn't supposed to. So I'm very glad they said it's okay.

** my Bible study group and all the love and joy we shared at our Christmas party this Tuesday. Those ladies just keep touching my heart and blessing me over and over.

When I led the study on the fruit of the Spirit this summer, one woman, who I will admit had a hard personality and tried my patience to no end, was going through a very difficult time. The leader of our group was at her wit's end as to how to help and was being driven crazy by the woman's unforgiving nature and her OCD tendencies. She had such a...cold and rigid personality.

Anyway, the study on the fruit spoke to her in ways nothing else ever had and she spent many of the classes in tears. The Lord in His mercy was thawing the ice around her heart and today she is a completely different woman. It is so amazing to see what our God can do! And that he used me in a small way to accomplish His work.....I am so humbled and grateful.

I mention this because she gave me a special and private gift at the party with a note of appreciation that left me in tears. So often we don't know how we touch the lives around us and it is a ginormous blessing when someone lets you know.

** that I love the work I do, because the work atmosphere....not so much. Yesterday I got to work to find out I was switched over to the dementia unit for the day because the full-time 12-8 girl was "no longer with us." She was leaving for a new job in her field of biology after the first of the year, anyway, but she was also agreeable to working weekends and casual days here and there until her replacement was found.

No one is sure what happened because it's all been very hush-hush, but my boss sent her a text yesterday morning and told her since she'd given her 2-week notice and worked it she didn't need to come back again. Uh, panic in my world!!! We were already short a few people and we are especially short in dementia. I have a feeling that for the next few weeks, at least, I am going to find myself working in the dementia unit almost exclusively and probably on, the dreaded 12-8 shift as there are now only 2 of us who are trained to work there.

Another girl starts orientation on January 3, but that and training take a couple of weeks at the least. Even once she is trained I will still be doing more 12-8 shifts, I think, which won't make Tim happy. It's a big secret, but my boss told me that there isn't going to be a full-time 12-8 person in dementia from now on. They are going to rotate the rest of us through. With only 2 of us for now that will mean 3-4 days a week, I'm guessing....plus, I was hired specifically to cover for the morning person when she's off so I'm not seeing how I'm going to get work out in the regular units.

So, yeah, I'm thankful I love the residents and the work I do with them.

** the decision our daughter and her husband finally made to give up their dog. I feel so bad for Hank, but if he's going to have a decent life, they need to find him a family before he gets any older. He has proved to be too much for them and they are always fighting about him...not something Megan needs when she already has problems with anxiety and is pregnant now, too. We have been encouraging them to find a home for him because he is developing some bad behaviors and getting just a touch aggressive about food and water. I don't want him to get so bad that no one will want him. He is such a beautiful dog and he really is sweet. He just needs someone with the time and patience to work with him. It's sad, but a good thing for Megan and Cody's relationship.

** having tomorrow and Monday off to get my Christmas stuff done. And I'm even more thankful that we aren't having our big Christmas with the kids and grandkids until the 29th so I have time to figure out what to get our son and his wife and our son-in-law. Those three have me stumped this year. Maybe I will find something perfect at the after Christmas sales???

** my boss choosing a day that I am off to have our department Christmas party. I'm glad I will be able to go tomorrow night. It's an occasion to dress up and go to a fancy restaurant...and it's at the airport so we get to watch the planes take off and land while we eat.

** the fact that my Daisy and Mom's dog seem to be getting along a wee little bit better lately since Mom and my stepdad will be leaving for their vacation on the 28th. I will have Lacey here for three weeks! I'm praying the two end up being good buddies.

** all of you, of course!

6 comments:

  1. You have a lot to be thankful for. The story about the woman in your Bible study group is a great example of the way God's love is reflected in each one of us. I bet she is thankful for all of you in her group for your compassion towards her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really is. We found that we had to take off the kid gloves and be loving, but TOTALLY honest with her. I let her know during one class that she wasn't alone in learning things because God was using her to treat me patience. Now she laughs and teases me about how she taught me patience. The situation she was in hasn't gotten any better but the way she handles it has done a complete turn around.

      Delete
  2. Ahh - thank you so much friend. I pray 2019 is kinder as well to me & to everyone!!!
    The airport? That will be so fun! Enjoy your fancy night.
    Hang in there. Hopefully they'll get some help soon at your work so you wont be overwhelmed too much!!!
    I had to laugh about the boot... yep, Ricky would still work anyways. & probably actually wouldnt wear the boot because it would 'slow him down" ... men. :) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hanging in...just repeating over and over "this too, shall pass."
      Yeah, what is it with men? Tim's walking boot is covered with mud. I said something to him about how they had said he could walk on his foot a little, not run all over the job site in the mud. He tells me it's just dust and that he's being good. Riiiiiiiight.

      Delete
  3. I am thankful for you, Stacy! You shared a wonderful thankful list!! Enjoy that party! Tell us about it, please!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.