November 16, 2018

Saturday 9: Sentimental Journey

I'm linking up with Sam and the gang at the Saturday 9 on this cold, snowy Friday evening...because I hope to be up and cleaning and putting away the fall decorations first thing tomorrow. Because I hope to start my Christmas decorating in the afternoon. I usually decorate Thanksgiving weekend, but I will be working this year for the first time ever. If I don't do it this weekend I don't know when I will get it done.

Saturday is also our wedding anniversary. We're marking 34 years this year! Tim is working, though, so I don't imagine we will go out to dinner until Sunday.


Saturday 9: Sentimental Journey (1945)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Doris sings that she has her bag packed. Tell us about your luggage. Is your bag easy to spot on the luggage carousel?  I was going to say it's pretty nondescript, but I forgot we got a new suitcase last year and it is red so I guess it's fairly easy to spot. I also tend to put a distinctive tag on my bags or tie something to them that's unique.

2) The release of this song coincided with VE Day, and so it meant a great deal to troops returning home from Europe. What song has sentimental value for you? Why?  Actually, this one means a lot to me. My dad loved big band music and that included this song. We danced to it at my wedding.

3) As a young girl, Doris was passionate about dance. Concentrating in the studio and performing on stage helped distract her from heartache and embarrassment over her parents' divorce. When you want to escape from what's troubling you, what do you do?  Either what I'm doing now (blogging, Facebooking, Pinteresting, etc.) or I grab a book and get lost in it.


4) Her dancing days came to an end when, at age 15, she was in a car accident and damaged her leg. During her recovery, she discovered how much she enjoyed singing with the radio, and was delighted to find others enjoyed hearing her. Tell us about a time you unexpectedly found happiness or success.  Is it horrible that I can't think of anything "unexpected" right now? I've been up since 2:30 this morning (couldn't sleep) and now at 9:00 my brain isn't running on all cylinders.

5) She moved from singer to actress in the late 1940s and was a major movie star for 25 years. She was paired with the most popular leading men of her time -- everyone from Clark Gable to Frank Sinatra to Rock Hudson. If you could share a kiss with any actor or actress, who would you choose?  Oh my, I've always had a thing for:


Kyle Chandler's Cary Grant-like handsomeness,


and for Oded Fehr's dark, Israeli good looks,


particularly during his years as the Magi in the Mummy movies. Everybody was fawning over Brendan Frazier in those and I only had eyes for....


and I can't forget my favorite silver fox, Sam Elliot.


Mercy, how's a girl supposed to choose???

(To be honest, as a married lass, I can only imagine.)


6) 1968 was a terrible year for Doris. First, she suddenly became a widow. Then she discovered that her late husband and his business partner had squandered her money and she had to file for bankruptcy. Oh, wait! There's more! She also found that, in his role as her manager, her late husband had, without her knowledge, committed her to a weekly TV series. Do you have a 1968? What year you can point to and say, "Wow, I'm glad that's over"?  2002 and 2010, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

7) After retiring from show business, she became an advocate for animal welfare. She has said we should be more sensitive to the loneliness, sadness and guilt people feel when they lose a pet. Think of a time you were grieving. What words or gestures helped you through? Conversely, what's something no one should ever say to someone who is hurting?  Usually, any kind word, if it's from the heart is comforting. The only thing I can think of that sets my teeth on edge and that I've heard a lot of others complain about, too, is saying you know just how someone feels. No, you don't. Everyone experiences grief in their own way. While sharing experiences can be helpful eventually, I don't find it to be a good thing when someone goes on and on about their experience and makes it all about them.

8) Doris' only child was her son, record producer Terry Melcher. Terry had a successful, years-long collaboration with The Beach Boys. Do you have a favorite Beach Boys song?  Either Fun, Fun, Fun or Kokomo.

9) Random question: What's one thing you've never done, but have always wanted to try?  There are lots of things, but for simplicity's sake I'll say ride in a hot air balloon.

16 comments:

  1. I chose Kokomo too! Oh, and you can't have Sam Elliot! I enjoyed your Saturday 9, Stacy!! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm.Yes. Sam Elliot is on my list too! An oldie but a goodie. Happy Saturday, and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, Sam is a goodie! Many of us like him. :)

      Delete
  3. It makes me so happy that I just happened upon a song that means something to you! (Sam and) I really try to represent every decade and every genre so that every week, someone feels a connection. But I love it when the connection is this deep -- your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And pretty neat that you also chose to feature it on my wedding anniversary!

      Delete
  4. I had a really hard time with a "unexpected success" too.
    I also think that heart felt words are always comforting during grief. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even after a night of sleep I can't think of anything. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a nice weekend, too.

      Delete
  5. #7? Absolutely, positively agree! (… and here I believed I was the only one.) Crazy, but I woke this morning at 2:28 and couldn't go back to sleep … hate that! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's awful when you wake up in the night and then can't fall back to sleep...made me sleep late this morning which always throws me off.

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary! I hope you enjoy your 34th. We'll be having anniversary dinners together tomorrow - states apart, of course. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and the same to you! Tim actually surprised me and came home early enough today that we went out.

      Delete
  7. Sam Elliott was a looker back then. He was on Grace and Frankie but, they killed his character off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #3 Right now I'm blue and I have been reading almost nonstop.
    I think it is the beginning of S.A.D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I wanted him back in my life again because i really love him but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and i did not know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help a woman named jolene from united state to get her ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr gbojie . You are truly talented and gifted. Email; gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com or gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com OR WhatsApp +2349066410185 is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man .or check out his website :http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me
































































    My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I wanted him back in my life again because i really love him but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and i did not know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help a woman named jolene from united state to get her ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr gbojie . You are truly talented and gifted. Email; gbojiespiritualtemple@yahoo.com or gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com OR WhatsApp +2349066410185 is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man .or check out his website :http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.