November 3, 2018

Saturday 9: It Must Be Him

Saturday 9: It Must Be Him (1967)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Want to play along? Click here.

1) This song is about a woman waiting impatiently for a phone call. Do you consider yourself patient?  It doesn't come naturally, but I feel that God has spent a LOT of time the last few years teaching me to be patient and I'm a lot more patient and easy going than I used to be.

2) Other women (most notably Shirley Bassey and Dottie West) have recorded this song. Harry James and Doc Severinson did instrumental versions. But there's no record of a male singing "Oh dear God! It must be her! Or I shall die!" Do you think that's because waiting for the phone to ring is more "a chick thing," and men simply don't do it?  I think it's more that we've raised men to think they shouldn't do that or at least shouldn't show it. I'm sure that when they like someone they are just as anxious on the inside as a woman. Then again, since it seems there are always more of us than there are of them, maybe they just figure if one woman doesn't "call" another one will?

3) This recording enjoyed a sudden surge of popularity after 20 years when it was included on the soundtrack of Moonstruck, the 1987 film that won Cher an Oscar. Have you seen Moonstruck?  I think I saw it once way back when, but I don't remember anything about it.

4) This week's featured artist, Vikki Carr, was born in El Paso, TX. El Paso can proudly proclaim itself one of America's safest cities. What can your hometown be proud of?  Being the birthplace of banana splits, Fred Rogers, and Arnold Palmer....Rolling Rock beer got its start here...at one time we had one of the top 10 small hospitals in the country but it was sold to a private company who has totally ruined it....the first air mail pick up took place at our airport....St. Vincent's Archabbey/Basilica/University.

5) She was a staple on Jerry Lewis' Labor Day Telethon, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association by performing this song. Is your TV on right now? If so, what are you watching?  Something on the history channel about the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia.


6) In 1971, Vikki fulfilled a dream of hers by establishing the Vikki Carr Scholarship Foundation. Every year the foundation awards Hispanic American students money to use toward higher education. She says it's her way of returning "the support and encouragement she received from others" early in her career. If you could establish a charitable foundation, what cause would you like it to benefit?  I'd be torn between funding research on the cures for cancer and dementia.

7)  In 1967, when this song was popular, Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed the first heart transplant. Today, one of the most common surgeries performed in the United States is the coronary artery bypass surgery. Have you had any surgeries?  Just to have my gallbladder removed.

8)  Also in 1967, the RMS Queen Mary was retired after 31 years of service. Have you ever traveled by cruise ship?  Not yet, but we are planning on a cruise next summer!

9) Random question: Who is your oldest living relative?  In my immediate family? That would be my mom, but she's only 74. If you widen the circle, I think there may be some cousins who may be around 90.

13 comments:

  1. I've had two friends who went through gall bladder surgery. They both felt terrible before the operation and much better after they healed? Was that your experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before hand it was and still is the worst pain I've ever experienced. Afterward wasn't bad. I had the larposcopic (or however you spell it) surgery so the incisions were small, though I had 4 of them. I came home at 6 pm in the evening the day after the surgery and Tim left for Haiti at 3 am that next morning and was gone for a week. I was driving the truck and doing pretty much everything I had to (the kids were still young and at home) right from the get go. I washed Tim's laundry and packed his suitcase the night I got home. I'm pretty sure the doctor would not have approved, but you do what you have to do.

      Delete
  2. (Should be) embarrassed to admit, I used to sing plaintively right along with this song. :)
    Wonderful response to #6, Stacy … both causes near and dear to my heart. Your hometown sure has lots of (deserving) bragging rights, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot that the first completely professional football game was played here! Until a few years ago we were considered the birthplace of professional football with the first paid player, but then they found a receipt for an earlier paid player in Pittsburgh.

      Delete
  3. YES Stacy!! I think God is currently working on me being patient. I need to just trust things will be ok.
    Oh cancer and dementia!!! Great causes! My dad passed away from Alzheimer's a year ago, so I would get behind that one! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Listen to God...he's not always so gentle when we're stubborn about learning lessons! I'm sorry to learn about your dad...it is such a hard thing for the families to go through.

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoy your cruise. And I love that your hometown is the birthplace of banana splits! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it. We have a festival every year to celebrate it and a big banana split statue in the middle of town...just around the corner from the park with the statue of Mr. Rogers sitting on a park bench.

      Delete
  5. What great causes to support!

    I can't wait to hear more about your cruise--the preparations for it and the event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I will talk it to death once we start to actually prepare for it! LOL

      Delete
  6. So glad you have a cruise planned and I just know you are going to have a wonderful time. Sounds like you live in a neat area known for several things. Happy rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hometown is sort of fabulous. And, yes, Most men, especially now, will wait to be called, but mine didn't. He called ME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good gravy how I wish that there was some kind of help out there for my parents when they were battling dementia. That was the worst having to watch that happen to both of them. And I agree with you on the divine intervention in that first question. Have a great rest of your weekend Stacy!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.