November 10, 2018

A Very Different Sunday Stealing

I'm linking up with the thieves at Sunday Stealing today. Our intrepid hostess, Bev, has this to say about today's unusual questions:

Now for something different.  I hope you'll find it fun.  Pandora has been doing Sunday Stealing for years, even though she's in Australia and can't relate to many of the questions, so I invited her to submit an Australia-related set of questions. She checked these with friends and says that Australians could easily answer them.

Many of these you won't be able to answer, but give it a try--and understand how Pandora feels!  (I printed all of them because I figure you'll skip many -- feel free to check Google and learn some new things!)



1. Where to you land on the subject of vegemite? My daughter brought a sample back from her trip to Australia. I was the only one in the entire family that was willing to give it a try. I can say I've done that. Good thing, because it won't happen again. Ugh!  What is the optimum butter/vegemite ratio? 100% butter and 0% vegemite!  Do you also eat Promite or Marmite or do you see these yeast spreads as something akin to treason? I get brand loyalty. Just ask me about ketchup (it's Heinz all the way in this house). That said, if they taste anything like vegemite...I'm sure they're equally gross to my American taste buds.

2. Who was your favourite Prime Minister of the last ten years? (There have been five – choose wisely)  I know NOTHING about Australian politics so no favorite to claim.


3.  Are you a Monarchist or a Republican? Why?  Having read what they are all about, I'd say I'd still be a Republican on the other side of the world.


4.  What do you think of our current head of state?  Since I don't know anything about Australia's politics it's hard to have an opinion. I read one article and from that it sounded like he has some sound ideas, but I'm sure that just like our American politics it's way more complicated than that.


5.  What are your feelings on compulsory voting?  Are we talking about forcing someone to vote? I'm not in favor of that at all. I think voting should be everyone's right and privilege, but to force people who aren't informed on current affairs or about the candidates is pure folly and also just plain wrong.


6.  What is your favourite footy food?  I tend to like dips, pizza, or nachos.


7.   Your Nana is having her 80th catered for by the CWA. What CWA standards are you looking forward to at the spread? The Victoria Sponge? Yoyos? Asparagus Rolls? Brandy Snaps?  I'm up for anything with brandy in it.


8.  What do you do on ANZAC Day?  Probably the same thing I do on our Memorial Day...work or relax if I'm lucky enough to get the day off and of course pause to remember and honor all the brave men and women who have served our country.


9.  Discuss the merits of budgie smugglers.  Not really a fan of the look for most.


10. What is outside your back door? Gumboots or thongs?  Neither is outside, but both are inside.


11. As a kid you were given 20 cents for pick and mix. What will be in your bag? Teeth? Spearmint leaves? Gobstoppers? Freckles?  Of those? Maybe the spearmint leaves, but I'd have gone for gummy orange/fruit slices, Sweet Tarts, and Jolly Ranchers.


12.  Redbacks or Huntsmen? Not a cricket fan.


13.   The Mullet. Discuss.  They should have stayed in the 80s. Unless we are talking about the fish? Then I have no opinion.


14.   Kath or Kim?  I haven't seen the show so no opinion.


15.   Cricket – which code do your follow? Why? Do you think that 20/20 games are sacrilege?  I have no idea.


16.   Football. Which code do you follow? Do you have an opinion about Collingwood or Essendon?  My opinion is that it's soccer not football. ;)


17.   Do you agree that the lyrics to Khe Sahn should be on the citizenship test? Do you know the words to Khe Sahn?  Nope, not a single word.


18. What is your favourite public holiday? If you're in Victoria, which do you prefer? The day off before the AFL Grand Final or Melbourne Cup Day?  They give you days off for sporting events???  Pack my bags!


19.   What do you do at Christmas? Ham sandwich on the beach? Seafood and salad next to the pool? Endure a full English roast with all the trimmings when the thermometer is pushing 35 degrees centigrade outside?  If I'm not having my American feast then seafood and salad by the pool sounds heavenly.


20.   Ford or Holden?  I'm a Ford girl on two continents.


21.   What is the best Australian invention ever? (And yes, the Hills Hoist can be mentioned)  Wow...did a search and there are so many to choose from. I think for simplicity's sake I'll just say Wi-fi.


22.   Describe the following:

    Fairy bread - sugar overload
    Lamingtons - they'd be good if not for the coconut
    Chiko rolls - sound totally yummy
    Snot blocks - might be okay but I'm not a big fan of custard

23.   What are the following traditional items found in all Australian homes?

    Dead horse - tomato sauce
    Hills Hoist - round clothes line
    A slab - 24 cans of beer
    A ute -  a utility vehicle

24.   Who is your all time Australian hero?  Crocodile Dundee?  Sorry, I don't know any Australian heroes off the top of my head.


25.   Translate the following: “Strewth! Nev was going flat out like a lizard drinking. But he had a nana nap and he's raring. Told him to get here pronto by not to miss the gate cos it’s impossible to chuck a u-ey for miles. Told him to bring a slab. We’ll have a barby. The kiddies can have snags. Joe the Pom will moan about everything. Jeez, he’s a bastard. Yeah…nah… no flies on him. “  Something about it being the truth that Nev was really dragging but had himself a nap and is raring to go now. Told him to hurry up and get here and not to miss the turn because he can't make a u-turn for miles. Told him to bring a 24 pack of beer and we'll cook on the grill. The kids can have sausages. Joe will complain about everything.


26.   What is your favourite Australian holiday spot?  I don't know. I think I'd like to visit the Great Barrier Reef and swim the big fish my daughter had her picture taken with.


27.   Do you eat the coat of arms?  I have no idea.


28.   You are stuck in a lift with the following: Karl Stefanovic, Peter Dutton and Alan Jones. Who do you kill last?  No idea who they are and it's getting too late to be looking everything up.


29.   What is the NBN?  A television network?


30.   “Where the bloody hell are you?” Discuss.  I'm at home in my living room.


31. Complete the following sayings.

    Am I ever going to see your face again? ..................................................
    You're terrible, ...........................!
    Coupla days, ...............................


Nah, I'm just too tired to search. I have to work tomorrow.

32. Potato scallops or potato cakes?  Potato cakes.


33. Provide three uses for cane toads.  Nope. I'll read everyone else's answers tomorrow evening and be enlightened.


34. If you give a politician a koala to cuddle, what is the likely outcome?  From what my daughter told me, he's going to end up stinking like eucalyptus.


35. Bagpipes are perfectly at home in rock songs. Discuss.  They can be. I've heard some pretty awesome pipes.


36. What is a Tim Tam Slam?  No idea.


37. If I ask for a FruChoc, where am I from? What are FruChocs?  Somewhere in Australia and I don't know what they are.


Good night!

9 comments:

  1. Ah - a very good effort Stacy - well done. Just a couple of things. The Queen of England is technically our head of state. Scummo (Scott Morrison) is an awful person and I can't wait to see the back of him. We have two codes of football out here - Australian Rules and Rugby League - where you live in the country will dictate which code you follow. Republicans over here just want the country to be a republic, rather than its current state of being a member of the Commonwealth with a Constitutional Monarchy for the government. Despite inventing WiFi, we have truly abysmal internet speeds. The NBN was supposed to fix this (National Broadband Network) I got a few chuckles from your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and although we have compulsory voting, and you get fined if you don't show up. there is nothing stopping you from just putting your empty ballot paper in the box or writing Mickey Mouse for Prez over the ballot paper. But it does mean that more people get a say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! You really took time on this. I should come back tomorrow and actually look things up!! xoxo have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking this on and having fun with it! Loved your answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you about the Vegemite. It's been decades, but I can't erase that taste (or appearance) from my memory. Interesting tidbit about the koala bears and eucalyptus! HAPPY SUNDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Stacy! I did not look up anything, so all of my answers are, I do not know, or what is that? Hahahaha Hope your work day is good! Have a nice evening!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job. You looked up more things than I did, or else have a knowledge of Australia that I am lacking. I am greatly relieved that I am not the only one who considered that mullet was a fish and not a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed that you tackled this today! I decided to pass, since most of my answers would have been question marks! LOL Happy Sunday, Stacy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job and we both have the butter to Vegamite ratio spot on!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.