November 12, 2018

Playing a Little Catch Up

Good Monday morning and happy (observed) Veterans' Day to you! For some of you that means a day off work. Enjoy!

I am not among the lucky who have the day off. In fact, everyone in my department has to work today as we have a big Veterans' Day program this afternoon. I don't know exactly what all is going on, but we sure made a lot of decorations and my boss sure stressed over it. I hope it goes well and lets our residents who are veterans know just how much their service is appreciated.

There isn't much to tell since I spent the whole weekend working. It was another weekend in which we were short-handed. What is with people? They know the requirements of a job when they interview and agree to it...then they call off all the time.

The state says we are "over-employed" as in we have more employees on payroll than we need to staff the place. Unfortunately, I see the same handful of faces over and over. They are offering nurses absolutely ridiculous pay/benefit packages trying to get good ones who will work, but it isn't working that way. My department is the only one that doesn't have constant call-offs. That's because my boss will fire anyone who doesn't want to work.

To catch you up on Tim's health "adventure"...  He sees the endocrinologist about his parathyroid today. I hope they get really on this right away because he is complaining of pain more and more and it seems to be spreading upward through his body. I'm praying it hasn't done any permanent damage.

As for for the rheumatologist and the whole Lupus issue, we can't get a "new patient" appointment until March 22! Apparently, rheumatologists are in high demand but few and far between. We're on a waiting list in case anything opens up sooner, but I'm not holding my breath. If they are that in demand, I doubt all the people in front of us will cancel.

And my thoughts concerning learning who my father is are a little calmer. I do thank all of you for your input, prayers, and advice and believe me, I've considered all of it. I still don't know if my son plans to reach out to the cousins Ancestry.com tipped him off to. What I do know is that I am not personally going to do any reaching out. I have to consider my mom's feelings, my father's family's feelings, and my own heart. If my son contacts them and they express interest in meeting me...then I promise to at least be open to considering the possibility. I trust that if and when the time comes, the Lord will lead me to the right decision.

Now since I don't start work until noon today, I am off to get caught up on A Million Little Things.

To all veterans...


6 comments:

  1. I'm sure you have a lot of Vets in your facility... that will be cool to celebrate them.
    Glad you're getting some calmness on your decision - & will continue to pray that God leads you to the right course on contacting.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE A Million Little Things. That's becoming like my favorite show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little ceremony and party for them and their families went really well and touched a lot of them. Several left with tears in their eyes.
      A Million Little Things has easily become my favorite show. It's killing me that they aren't on again until after Thanksgiving. The subject matter is so heavy, but the writing is so good!

      Delete
  2. Argh! … about your co-workers calling off. I don't know their ages, but this sounds remarkably like the (millennial-set) guest services agents at my former workplace. Hopefully, your example will make an impression on one or some.


    Having had thyroid issues most of my life, I'm sure anxious to learn of the endocrinologist's findings. Praying for Tim's speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that it is typical of millennials in general, though there are some who are older that do it, too. Not as many, but some. I just don't get the mindset of wanting a paycheck without actually having to work for it. And if they do get reprimanded it's all the employer's fault not their own.

      The endo is running some more tests. I guess he hasn't totally ruled out the parathyroid, but I did some digging on the tests he's ordered and it would appear he's looking at the pituitary gland. It depends on what the test results are whether Tim will see him again or not. If he doesn't think the results indicate an endocrine problem then we are on hold again until his appointment in March with the rheumatologist.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy catching up on the show - it was really good last week! You are right...you will knoe how to handle to situations that come up (or do not come up) later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good! But then it always is. LOL
      Yes, I'm not going to stress about possible situations or outcomes. If they happen I'll just trust God to see me through them in the best possible way.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.