October 18, 2018

Thankful Thursday


Good morning! I'm up early and ready for work way ahead of schedule so I have time to link up with Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand to show a little thankfulness today.

This week I am thankful....

** that I live in a relatively safe area. The news every morning is just filled with stories of people doing absolutely horrible things to each other. I know evil can show up anywhere, but it does seem that certain locations see more of it than others.

** that while I am not losing weight, I am toning up with all the walking involved in my job (I've really got to dig out one of my Fitbits...I have 3...and see just how many steps I take in a day.) and it doesn't hurt that I lead the residents in exercises 3-4 days per week. The exercises are of the sit-and-be-fit variety, but it's still good for the arms and legs.

** to live close enough to our daughter to give her a place to come when life gets tough and she feels overwhelmed and her anxieties kick in.

** that even though our daughter doesn't have a relationship with the Lord, she isn't closed off to it and she will at least listen to the advice I give her. (That doesn't mean she TAKES the advice, but she does listen. It's about planting seeds, right?)

** for a good day off yesterday. I did some grocery shopping, cleaned, and spruced up the master bath with a couple of new things and a bit of rearranging. I got to have lunch with our daughter and grandson...and I even found some time to read.

** that Tim finally went to see the doctor again. He hasn't been feeling well (more so than usual) for a week or more. The doctor said he sounded "wheezy" and put him on antibiotics and steroids. He also sent Tim for a chest x-ray and blood work. We haven't heard anything about that. I hope the antibiotics kick in and get him feeling better, but I know several people (my mom among them) who have been taking antibiotics for respiratory illnesses and aren't getting any better. My mom just finished her second round of them and her bronchitis isn't any better. Anyway, just thankful that Tim's under a doctor's care.

** that our son finally stood up for himself and did something he really wanted to do in spite of his wife's opinion. I know that sounds bad, but his wife can be very controlling and everything always seems to go how she wants it to go. Last week he bought himself a motorcycle. I worry about him riding it in the city, for sure, but it's so good to see him asserting himself.

** that the family is being cool about my having to work on Thanksgiving. I only work 9-5 and we could do dinner after I get off, but it's looking like we're all in agreement that we'll have it the day after since I'll be off then and it won't have to be a rushed thing. The only possible snag is convincing Tim to take one stinking vacation day.

** that I'm off this weekend and I have shopping with our daughter on Saturday and a trip to the pumpkin farm on Sunday to look forward to.

** for my cozy warm home as the first frost of the season settles outside. Brrrr!

** as always, for each one of you!





5 comments:

  1. A very nice thankful list!! There is so much to be thankful for. Blessings all around! Sorry you have to work Thanksgiving Day but celebrating the day after sounds like a great work-around. Hope Tim can get the day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been spoiled by not having to work nights, weekends or holidays in my life, but as a kid we often celebrated with my grandparents, aunts and uncles on the weekend before or after a holiday because my grandmother worked in the kitchen of a nursing home. It's taken me a while to adjust, though I started when the kids began leaving home, but I really don't mind. Holidays aren't about what day we celebrate, just that we are together and we do.

      Delete
  2. Yay for your son's initiative! I'm no fan of motorcycles, but it sounds like this step will do much for his morale; hopefully, she will notice the change and come around? Prayers, both for Tim and your mom. Tom's wheeze isn't getting any better, so I know it's worrisome. (Any tips how to cease nagging? LOL) BTW, how are you enjoying the new tennis shoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers. Tim still says he isn't feeling any better tonight. No, no tips about nagging. LOL Ah, the shoes. They are comfy on my foot, but for some reason my toes end up jammed up in the toes and hurting like crazy by the end of the day. I think it's because the shoes are solid leather. The only shoes that don't seem to do that are my sneakers that are made of a softer meshy material. I'm going to give the shoes another try now that I've been on the job for a couple of months and see if it's any better.

      Delete
  3. Yep - people forget that people that work in medical or nursing facilities - there are no days off on holidays - life goes on.
    I know it's a big deal for your son to stand up... but thats what being the MAN of the family entails sometimes - even if its for something fun. Probably a good stress reliever for him.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.