October 20, 2018

Saturday 9: Sweet City Woman

Well, I didn't wake up a billionaire this morning so I'm celebrating my weekend off by linking up to the Saturday 9. Thanks, Sam, for a fun song I haven't heard in ages and questions to go with it. 

By the way, my life isn't so pathetic that this, fun as it is, is the best I could come up with to celebrate the weekend. I'm going with my daughter and grandson later to a big pumpkin farm. We won't be enjoying the outside activities thanks to the cold and rain, but we'll certainly have fun with the inside activities and shopping.

Enjoy the meme and have a great Saturday!

Saturday 9: Sweet City Woman (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) The lyrics tell us the singer is on his way to catch a train and he really wants to be on time. When is the last time you were late for something?  I was 2 minutes late for work last weekend when I had to detour due to a 5K race being held in conjuction with the big fall festival that was going on. That still left me looking better than all the people who called off claiming they couldn't even get to work.

2) He sings he's on his way to meet a woman known for her macaroons. What's your favorite cookie?  I'm a purist. Give me good, old-fashioned chocolate chip cookies.

3) His girlfriend's face is so pretty she lights up the city night. How many lights are in the room you're in? How many are switched on?  There is a table lamp that looks like a rooster (don't judge...it was my aunt's and she gave it to me), a torchiere lamp that has the big up light and 2 smaller down lights, and a floor lamp. The chicken lamp is the only one that's on and that's the norm.

4) This is the rare top 40 tune that prominently features a banjo. Sam has always been crazy about the sound of a banjo. What sound makes you smile? (It doesn't have to be a musical instrument. Think bacon sizzling, church bells, etc.)  Well, it isn't the banjo, though my son-in-law plays one. I like the sounds of children giggling, all the birds singing early on a summer morning, and Sunday church bells.

5) 47 years after their record was a hit, The Stampeders still tour every summer, playing festivals across the US and their native Canada. Do you enjoy live music under the stars? Or would you prefer to be seated in a theater?  I do enjoy live music under the stars, but it depends on the setting. I've gone to some very big venues to see big names and have come to the conclusion at those that I'm too old for "lawn seats" after being jostled around and forced to endure rude and crude and lewd behavior (mostly thanks to the majority of the crowd being drunk). Plus, there is the down side of having to stand up the entire time if I want to see the show because everyone else is standing up. On the other hand, a nearby town has concerts in the park every Friday night in the summer and those are family friendly and quite nice.

6) In 1971, when this song was popular on the radio, detective shows were popular on TV. Mannix, Ironside and Cannon were all in the Top 20. Who is your favorite TV detective?  I'm only a couple of decades late, but thanks to all the channels showing classic TV shows these days, I've become a big fan of Columbo. It just tickles me how he "plays" with the murderer.

7) Also in 1971, the Post Office Department was disbanded as a Cabinet department and became The United States Postal Service. When did you last go to the post office? Were you mailing something? Buying stamps? Picking up a package? Renewing your passport?  It was a couple of weeks ago. I sent a package to our son's kids....but I will have to go soon to renew my passport. I believe it expires in February and I will need it for our cruise next year.

8) Race car legend Jeff Gordon was born in 1971. Do you watch NASCAR?  Nope. Sorry to the fans, but I'm bored watching cars drive in circles.

9) Random question -- Do you have a vaccination scar? If so, where is it?  I did for most of my life, but it seems to have mostly faded away at this point. It was on my upper right arm. I remember having to be soooo careful not to knock that big scab off...a tough thing for a 5-year-old!...but the threat of having to get the shot again was powerful motivation.

17 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Columbo episode with Johnny Cash? He was a better actor than I knew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have a full marathon in Hartford the businesses love it and the residents hate it.
    #8 Ditto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty much the same way here. The merchants love the big festival and all that goes with it, but the residents are divided. Some love it and some either hunker down or leave town.

      Delete
  3. Your rooster lamp sounds like so much fun! I also think Nascar is super boring! My in-laws love it and when I first got married my husband and I went with them to several races. So boring! That ended quickly for me. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not a pretty rooster, but I like chickens and my favorite aunt gave him to me before she died so he's never going anywhere...at least until I die and then my kids will probably toss it. They hate it. LOL

      Delete
  4. Your response to #5, the reasons you cite are EXACTLY why I'm no longer a concert-goer. I loved Peter Falk in Columbo … Angela Lansbury in Murder, She Wrote too. I hope your afternoon is great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Murder, She Wrote when it was originally on. Tim did, too, so I don't know why we haven't watched any episodes of that yet.

      Delete
  5. I agree the drunken behavior at concerts is a MAJOR turn-off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I have had people pee right beside me, make out nearly on top of me, pass out at my feet, and far more. It's just not fun any more.

      Delete
  6. A rooster lamp? And now I feel pathetic because doing Saturday 9, and laundry, is all I have been able to do to enjoy this day. Yikes. I need a life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I might have to post a picture of the rooster lamp. It's kind of ugly...I'm just sentimentally attached to it. I'm sure your day was just fine and since you aren't working you don't have to get all excited about the weekend. Anyway, my Sunday is going to look like your today...Sunday Stealing, laundry, and cooking.

      Delete
  7. Ahhh... I like that you have a rooster lamp!! I'm with you one the concerts. Fun questions today and I enjoyed your answers! Columbo is an old favorite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you have a rooster lamp. If your rooster has splashed colors on it, it's rare, Baby. I have the giant slip mold for a Hen and one for a Rooster. Making a lamp was the rooster was one of the things on my list of things to make.
    Glad you got your flu shot. Flu lasts so long and can really beat a person into the ground, even in recovery. I had pneumonia in my 40's to a shot is mandatory for me.
    Oooo a cruise! How great is that? and I hear you about huge outdoor concerts. They only outdoor ones I've been to were small. We have or had, probably, concerts at the wild animal park, and also some in Santa Cruz that are small. The ones in Redlands were always small and civil audiences, too. Indoor ones were no smoking at a sweet old church in North Park. Very beautiful. Have a great week, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love if my rooster was splashed with colors, but he's kind of white with black/gray, though he has a large red comb and big yellow feet. I believe my aunt probably bought him, not that anyone made him. He seems to be standing on a rock. I'm going to try and slip a picture in tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by, Zip!

      Delete
  9. I forgot about Columbo, its a great series! I had a rooster lamp for a long time in the kitchen and loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.