September 10, 2018

Wild, Wet & Windy Monday

Good morning! I'm sitting here this morning glued to the TV and listening to the rain pour down on the roof and the wind howl. It's been raining virtually nonstop since Saturday morning, the remnant of tropical storm Gordon. I haven't checked the rain gauge this morning, but by last night we'd already had nearly 6 inches. The wind started last evening. Our weekend was a bust as far as going anywhere or getting much done. We just relaxed and watched movies all day yesterday.

As you can imagine, the weather is causing lots of problems. This area has lots of mountains and valleys and lots of rivers and streams so flooding is a big problem. Many of the school districts around here are either delayed or closed for the day. The power is out in many places. Lots of roads are closed. I'm hoping I won't have trouble getting to work since I travel right beside the major creek in the area. So far it looks like the only place the road is closed is a few exits beyond where I turn off.

I am curious to see what it looks like when the sun comes up. I've been hearing small branches hit the house all night. I imagine there will be a lot of stuff to dodge on the drive to work.

To top it all off, the first story I saw on the news was "breaking news" of a gas main explosion in the county where Tim is working. I called him because he is building a hotel near the gigantic gas processing plant that is being built. Thankfully, he answered his phone. The explosion took place in the area of the exit before his and he hadn't even made it to work. He was still sitting in traffic in Pittsburgh. I'm glad he's okay, but from the sounds of it he may have more trouble getting to work because of how large the thing is and many roads are closed.

Say a prayer for me today, because I'm thinking work is going to be a lot of "fun."  The residents will be responding to the weather and be agitated. I hope it's dry where you are and that Hurricane Florence doesn't come your way later this week.

Happy Monday?

8 comments:

  1. UGH! Is the explosion the one that was in Center Township? I just heard about it from some co-workers! The rain in the South Hills has also been non stop and the flooding in my area is awful too! I am in Bridgeville and you can't get anywhere quick due to road closings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,that's the one. Tim was still sitting in the traffic backed up from the bathtub being closed. This rain sure has made a mess of things. I saw clips of your area. You guys sure did get hit hard!

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah, I bet the weather does affect their mood. I think how rainy days gives me headaches. I'm sure the patients feels the weather in their own unique ways. Good luck!
    SO THANKFUL your hubs was OK & safe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does affect them and we have one woman who has terrible allergies, but can't communicate it. We have to figure it out from physical clues. This morning I thought she was crying but it was her eyes watering from alllergies. Poor thing.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! Prayers for you and your colleagues' peace of mind … and Tim's safety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers. They worked! Rather than being agitated, the residents were sleepy all day. We had more trouble waking them up than anything.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry you are feeling Gordon up there and Florence is coming. Thankful that so far Flo is staying north of Florida, but I hurt for the Carolinas and Virginia and all those inland who will suffer with the aftermath rains. I'm really glad you aren't driving a bus in that mess, but God bless those who are out there keeping the kids safe. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Gordon has not been a nice visitor! The rain was supposed to have stopped hours ago and it's still raining now (11:15). I don't think we're going to get rain from Flo until at least next Monday. Maybe we will get to dry out before then. My friends (they also teach the Bible study I go to) are leaving tomorrow to drive to Georgia, then Florida for a 4-day cruise and then back up the coast. They are supposed to visit friends in Top Sail and then go to Williamsburg before coming home. I sure am praying they don't have trouble.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.