September 7, 2018

Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On

Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On (1959)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, the Billy Grammer sings that "summer's almost gone, winter's coming on." When you look out your window, do you see any evidence that the seasons are changing?


I think it's beginning to look a little like fall, though right at the moment it doesn't look like anything out there....it's dark!
2) He admits he has laid around and played around for too long. Do you consider lazy days to be wasted days?


Some of them. It depends on whether that was my plan or it just kind of happened.
3) Billy relaxed by fishing. Tell us about a visit you made to a pier, or a ride you took on a boat, this past year. (Bonus points if you went fishing!)


I don't think I've been to any of those places in the last year.
4) Born in 1925, Mr. Grammer was the eldest of 13 children. He and his wife Ruth were childless. What do you think is the ideal size for a family? 


It's up to the individual and what they want.
5) This song was very popular on juke boxes back in 1959. When were you last in a bar or restaurant that had a juke box? Did you play it?


Last weekend. There was a juke box in the bar, but we were there for dinner and didn't play.
6) In 1959, movie tickets zoomed up in price to $1.00 and Ben Hur was the big blockbuster. What's the last movie you saw in a theater? Do you remember how much the ticket cost?


I don't remember what movie it was, but I'm going to say the tickets were about $9 each. Ticket prices have held pretty steady for several years.
7) Huckleberry Hound was a hit with the younger audience in 1959. What cartoon did you enjoy as a kid? 


Lots of them...Saturday mornings were the best time of the whole week! If you make me narrow it down, I guess it would be a tie between Scooby-Doo and Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Werner Bros. gang.
8) In 1959, continuing dramas (soap operas) were still broadcast each day on the radio. When you turn on the radio, do you listen for talk, news, or music? 


Music. I usually only listen to the radio in the car and talk radio makes me tired. Not usually a good thing when you're driving.
9) Random question -- Which competition would you rather judge: The Pillsbury Bake Off, The Miss America Pageant, or Dancing with the Stars? 


Dancing with the Stars! That's not even something that requires thought. I love that show and the dancers and celebrities always seem to have such a good time.

**If you enjoyed today's questions be sure to pay our host Sam a visit at the Saturday 9 site and let her know. And visit some of the other blogs playing along.

20 comments:

  1. My mom would have agreed with you on #9. She loved everything about DWTS -- the music, the costumes, Len and Bruno ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anything about dancing, but it's always just such over the top fun.

      Delete
  2. Wasn't Saturday mornings great when we were kids? You jumped out of bed and had breakfast - sometimes in front of the TV - and you watched cartoons all morning. Kids don't do that anymore, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. There aren't even any Saturday morning cartoons. It's kind of sad, but I guess it frees them up for soccer, football, dance, etc.

      Delete
  3. Talk radio makes me tired, too. Our kids watched some cartoons, Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol, Max and Ruby, and things like that. Now they watch Sponge Bob sometimes, which I can't stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our older grandkids don't have cable so don't watch many cartoons and our littlest is educating me on Paw Patrol, Puppy Dog Pals, and Mickey's Clubhouse.

      Delete
  4. Your comment to CountryDew was right on. When I was a kid we used to travel all over the eastern U.S. Now my nephew's kids have baseball, soccer, football, and basketball every weekend. Three kids, three sports a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing how we all watched Looney Tunes and did not hurt anyone. All of the violence and we did not take it seriously. They are so careful now with programming. Yes, it is sad there are no more Saturday morning cartoons. I enjoyed your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could say something about us managing not to hurt anyone, but that would probably set me off and get me up on my soap box so I'll just keep quiet. LOL

      Delete
  6. Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers! I used to love DWTS but got tired of it after 8-9 seasons. I should try it again... if it is still on (?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's still on, but the seasons are much shorter. Like maybe 6 weeks or something. I never get to see it because Tim loathes it.

      Delete
  7. I loved Looney Tunes! I think about all the classical music that was in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there an adult our ages that doesn't start singing "Kill de wabbit" whenever they hear The Barber of Seville?

      Delete
  8. Yep, talk radio, droning on and on.. it IS enough to put one to sleep!
    And, yes, lazy days should be planned. lol I have them a lot!
    Have a great weekend Stacy..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really can see the early signs of a changing season here. We are set to start cooling off next week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got home from the mall and it's gotten chilly enough to need a jacket.

      Delete
  10. The Warner Bros. gang was my all-time favorite! Even as an adult I had a Tweety Bird pillow I carried everywhere … until it was accidentally left behind in a Ft. Worth hotel room. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.