September 17, 2018

Kind of Glad It's Monday

Good morning and happy Monday! We got this, we can do it! Remember to take your Monday, dip it in glitter and sparkle the heck out of it! Make it the start of a great week!

As for me, I am glad the weekend is over. I worked both Saturday and Sunday in the dementia unit. I do love those sweet residents, but it wears me out because, as I've mentioned, several of them have gotten a lot worse in the few weeks I've been there and they just aren't capable of doing the activities...and yet, we are still supposed to try. It's hard when it seems like more and more of them are staying in their rooms and sleeping or even if they come to group, they are sleeping in the chairs.

One woman, whose family we've known for forever, is a major distraction as she doesn't sit still. She is constantly trying to get out of her chair. She can't walk alone and we can't walk her because we are not nurses aides. We can't turn on our backs or pay full attention to the others, either, because of her. No one wants her to fall, but we can't get any help from the aides. We've been told to have the aides remove her when she gets really bad and is distracting to the group, but the aides consistantly refuse to take her. I understand on days like yesterday when several people called off and there was only one aide on the afternoon shift. But it's the same story when the unit is fully staffed. The only time they take her or help us out is when the dementia coordinator is on the floor.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to working out of the unit today and then having tomorrow off.

Tim spent yesterday working on his truck. He had to change the oil, the oil filter, the air filter, and I don't know what all else. It's a big production with his truck and he has a bigger diesel engine than most pickups so it takes a LOT of oil.

Megan mowed our grass yesterday. That was so nice to come home and find last night since the rain from Florence is moving in this morning. It has been a blessing having her kick in to do that for us a lot of the time.

I'm also looking forward to connecting with the girls from my Bible study group tomorrow. The couple who teaches us and regularly hosts the group are out of town for the rest of the month so we are meeting at the beautiful home of another member and next week we will meet at Barnes & Noble. With working full time I don't seem to be quite as in touch outside of class as I used to be so any chance to see everyone is a treat.

Well, I'd better go finish getting ready for work and get my lunch packed. It will be time to go before I know it.!

Make it an awesome day today...for you and for someone else!

8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh - that makes me so sad for that lady... so do the aids just not want to deal with her at all? Isn't that their job????? can you report that to the coordinator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did talk to my supervisor today. She gave me some ideas on handling the aides and then if they still continue, the specific chain of command to go through to report them. I hope it doesn't come to that. All the aides will stick together (as would nurses, housekeepers, or activity aides in a similar situation) and make life miserable for me at work.

      Delete
  2. Bless you! What a difficult job it is that you do. Always nice to have household chores completed! Have a great day Stacy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even nicer to come home today and find that my daughter had done some of my household chores while she was here to let the dog out!

      Delete
  3. It takes a special person/people to work with dementia patients. God bless you. I'm sorry the aids are ignoring the woman who causes disruptions for everyone else. Such a shame and NOT what they should be doing. Patience is golden and you have it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dementia coordinator told me today that they are trying something new on the woman...a weighted belt to see if it helps with her urge to keep jumping up. I can't wait to hear if it did. I'm praying it did! How times have changed from the days when a resident like her would have been drugged or restrained physically.

      Delete
  4. What a disappointment, not receiving assistance from those aides. Oh, I hope there aren't cliques and mean girls there? That, plus having to witness the obvious decline of some residents has to be pretty discouraging. Pretty sure God's put you there for a reason -- but it must be hard, waiting for the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself that my being there surely has to be God's will with how the job came out of nowhere and everything just fell into place.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.