September 24, 2018

And Just Like That...Poof!

I was off this past weekend. Of course it was rather gray, rainy, and chilly. I think just about every day I've had off since starting my job has been a rainy day. No complaints from me, though. It was a good weekend and I'm ready to face a brand new week!

Saturday morning found Mom and I driving to Indiana (PA) to my old stomping grounds, the Indiana Univ. of PA campus. We were headed to a used book sale at the the Newman Center, the Catholic church that serves the university.

The book sale is an annual event and serves as a fund raiser for the church. Much of the parking lot is given over to a huge tent. Under the tent are tables, tables, and more tables of books. The books are divided by genre, but that's about all the organization there is to it. It's a scavenger hunt for sure. The categories to search through included: music, foreign language, biography, history, sociology, psychology, philosophy, religion, romance, science, teaching, mystery, trade paperback, bibles, reference, sports, and more. In the basement of the church were long rows of tables filled with best selling hard cover fiction, large print, cook books, children's, antique and collectible, puzzles, games, and CDs.

We spent nearly 3 hours browsing through all the books. I only spent $15.50 but came home with a brand new boxed set with the American Heritage Collegiate Dictionary and Roget's Thesaurus, 2 cookbooks, 3 new Greg Iles paperbacks, a book about Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis's relationship by Jerry Lewis, a biography of Crazy Horse, an old book about Pennsylvania history, and several works of fiction that I just thought sounded like they may be good.

Mom bought me lunch at Ruby Tuesday's and since it was already becoming an all day thing, we decided to check out an antique mall I knew of. I love the place. It is packed to the rafters with things to look at. I think Mom found it a bit overwhelming visually...something I've been noticing since her last eye procedure. I don't know if it means her macular degeneration is progressing or what. Anyway, she liked seeing a lot of things that brought back memories, but didn't buy anything. I have a collection of figural planters. I like the animal ones, particularly dog ones. I was able to pick up a Pekingese and a German Shepherd for under $20 for both!

It was around 4:30 by the time we got home. Tim was still not home from work so I spent some time doing chores and relaxing while catching up with blogging friends. When Tim did get home, he got cleaned up and we went out for dinner. We both enjoyed a steak and lobster pot combo.

Sunday was our daughter and son-in-law's first anniversary. We kept the boy so they could have a day to themselves. They chose to head off to Benezette in north central PA to see the wild elk. It's a big draw this time of year as the bulls are "bugling." Bugling is the call the males make during mating season to attract the females. They got lucky and saw a lot of elk and even caught some bulls bugling.

We spent most of the morning relaxing while Colton played with his cars, but we headed out around 10:30 for a local farm and it's market to stock up on fresh veggies, apple cider, and a couple of bottles of wine from the in-store wine shop. We enjoyed a lunch at Hoss's, chosen because the salad bar offered enough choices to please Colton. Then we did some shopping at Walmart, where we managed to lose a sippy cup under a shelf in the housewares department and a pacifier under the shelving by the cash register.  I bought new cups, but it was too late to get a new pacifier, which turned out to be a bad thing once we were home. Colton was tired and he won't fall asleep without a pacifier so he was getting pretty wired and wild by the time his mommy and daddy got home.

So, that was it. It wasn't really relaxing but it was good and enjoyable. I'm ready to face another work week and I guess that's the point, right?

And speaking of work..."somebody" needs to finish getting ready so I'll wrap this up and wish you all a happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Hard to believe a whole year's elapsed since The Wedding! I could sure get into that book fair, too. I'm not familiar with figural planters … but then, up until recently, I've not looked. (The only plant I've not managed to kill is outgrowing my mom's dough bowl, but Lowe's selection is so boring!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... that sounds so wonderful to just look at books & antiques. So much to take in . I'm impressed you only spent 15.50. I would have had to put a limit on me because I'd want ALL THE BOOKS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked with a guy years ago who graduated from Indiana Univ. of PA. I had never heard of it before I saw his sweatshirt one day with IUPA on it. You found some bargains if you got all of that for $15.50! Wow! It is always fun to browse through antique stores - especially when you find things you love. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.