July 25, 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook - July 2018

I'm linking up with The Simple Woman's Daybook for July...a bit late, but better late than never!


For Today...

July 25, 2018.  It's my youngest's 26th birthday.  Growing up she was the child that gave me all my gray hair and broke my heart more than once.  It's pure pleasure to be able to celebrate her and her life today...a life that now includes a good husband, a darling baby boy, a new house, and a new job.  It is no exaggeration to say that there was a time I feared what kind of future she would have.  Her life today is nothing short of God's answers to a mother's fervent prayers.

Looking Out My Window...

It's a gray, rainy day after storms in the night that are best described as "gully washers." The temperature at 7:00 is already 76 degrees...though the news says it will only reach 80 today.



I Am Thinking...

About all the work needing done today and tomorrow to get ready for the garage sale my daughter thinks we need to have this weekend. I'm also thinking about how I hope the work is worth it. The last few times I've done sales people just didn't turn out, not very much got sold, and I had to pack everything back up.

I Am Thankful...

For every minute I have with this little guy over my summer break. I've had him all to myself for at least a little bit nearly every day and we've grown quite close.



One Of My Favorite Things...

The two beautiful rose bushes my husband planted for me this year.

This one is called "Neil Diamond"


And this one is called Ketchup & Mustard because the top side of the petals are red and the under side is yellow.



I Am Wearing...

Black, draw-string capris and a hot pink t-shirt with glittery flowers...and this summer's ever-present ankle brace.

I Am Creating...

My very first Happy Planner.  It's part planner, part journal and entirely too much fun! I could get lost in all the cute stickers and things to accessorize it. I don't have pictures of it yet. I'll share when it's a little more established.

I Am Watching...

I've watched all of the Hallmark movies available on demand through our cable provider, so I've got to find something to move on to. Maybe I will watch Woodlawn if I get the chance today. I've wanted to see it since it came out, but my husband is not a sports fan or fan of movies with a sports theme. So, even though I bought the DVD several months ago I still haven't watched it. I'm not a good one for this question as I really don't watch much TV.

I Am Reading...

I just finished reading Tamarack County by William Kent Krueger...a good mystery/thriller with a lot of Ojibwe culture for background.



In Bible study I just finished leading our group through Beth Moore's Living Beyond Yourself, which is, hands down, the best study on the fruit of the Spirit I've ever come across. It is so in-depth and really takes you on a journey of self-evaluation.



I Am Listening To...

This. And the greatest of these is love.




I Am Hoping...

To get a call back in regard to a resume I sent out. I will keep driving a bus if I have to, but I am hoping and praying to find something else that is kinder to my body. The jostling around on rural roads all day is taking a toll on my back and other joints.

I Am Learning...

That there is a big difference between a peacemaker and a peacekeeper and that a peacekeeper swallows a lot of garbage to maintain what isn't real peace at all. A peacemaker will speak up when it's necessary, they'll just do so gently and lovingly.

In The Garden...

Things are finally beginning to take off after getting a late start.  I don't think the zucchini are going to amount to anything, though. There have been lots and lots of blossoms, but no little zukes have ever formed.





In The Kitchen...

Lots of veggies and meats cooked on the grill. Tim is on a salmon kick lately so we've been grilling that at least twice a week. Our favorite veggie right now is zucchini, which I prepare as what I refer to as "crack zucchini," meaning it's so good it's addicting.

CRACK ZUCCHINI

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • Panko crumbs
  • kosher salt
  • cracked black pepper
  • chives (fresh, chopped)
  • *optional* bacon (bits or real, cooked and crumbled)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to High Broil
  • Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray foil with cooking spray.
  • Place zucchini slices on foil.
  • Top slices with cheese (and bacon if desired).
  • Sprinkle with Panko.
  • Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
  • Broil for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and Panko is browned and crispy.
  • Remove from oven.
  • Sprinkle with chives.
  • Enjoy!


Shared Quote...

“God never promised us an easy life. He never promised that we wouldn’t suffer, that we wouldn’t feel despair and loneliness and confusion and desperation. What he did promise was that in our suffering we would never be alone. And though we may sometimes make ourselves blind and deaf to his presence he is beside us and around us and within us always. We are never separated from his love. And he promised us something else, the most important promise of all. That there would be surcease. That there would be an end to our pain and our suffering and our loneliness, that we would be with him and know him, and this would be heaven.” 
― William Kent KruegerOrdinary Grace

A Moment From My Day...

The Poodle and I enjoyed a walk around the yard first thing this morning.

The Rose of Sharon are blooming.


Last night's rain dropped a lot of apples out of the tree.


The Toby tree (Catalpa) is loaded with "beans" for the first time.


The shade garden is looking lush after all the rain.


Billy often catches people by surprise.


You never know what (or who) may turn up in the shade garden.



I hope you enjoyed a peek into my day. Now I am off to start working on the garage sale.

6 comments:

  1. I think you need to do a post alone on the Happy Planner! Those things make me so happy!
    Praise God for the prodigal children, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, eventually. I promise!
      Praising God, indeed! There were days I wasn't even sure I'd still have a daughter at this point.

      Delete
  2. A rose named Neil, hmmm? That's funny!
    I love salmon while dining out, but have never tried making it. Can't wait for the temps to cool some, to warrant turning on our oven/broiler. Your crack zucchini sounds decadent. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Neil was funny, too. And I saw another one that looks just like it somewhere and it had a different celebrity name, but looked the same.

      Cooking salmon is new for me in the last year. It got easier to be brave when our grocery started caring it already seasoned and with directions on how to grill or bake it.

      The zucchini recipe is amazing. The cheese is probably bad, but as an alternative to fried zucchini it's probably better.

      Delete
  3. Oh, garage sales. Bless you. Good luck on the job search. Do keep us posted. Great photos!! I love the ketchup & mustard rose! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the blessing. I'm laughing because you said that like you know the pain of having one. LOL
      I will be sure to let you know if I find another job.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.