July 14, 2018

Saturday 9: I Love Lucy

I can't believe another Saturday has rolled around. My summer break is nearly half over and I haven't done anything really fun or vacation-y. Nor am I likely to any time soon thanks to having "strained" my ankle. I'm hobbling around in a light brace with orders to stay off it as much as I can, ice it when I need to, and take ibuprofen for the pain. My doctor said to expect it to take a good 6 weeks to heal. A woman who worked in physical therapy commented on my blog the other day and said I should count on 2-3 months! Grrrr.

Anyway, enough of the pity party. I'm linking up with Sam and the gang at the Saturday 9 for a little musical meme fun. 



Saturday 9: I Love Lucy (1951)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Before today, did you know that the "I Love Lucy" theme had lyrics?  I did not, though I'm not surprised. A lot of the old theme songs had lyrics we never heard.

2) Since its premiere in 1951, I Love Lucy has never been off the air. Are you a fan?  I always watched it growing up, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan these days. The show is, however, the inspiration for one of the items on my bucket list. Ever since I saw the episodes (I think there were several of them) in which Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel drove across the country to California on Route 30 I have wanted to do the same thing. Part of my interest is that I live about 2 miles from Route 30 and drive on it nearly every day.

3) On the show, Ricky Riccardo supports his family by performing in a nightclub. Do you know anyone in show business?  I don't think so. I have a cousin who is well known in the music business, but that's a different ball game.

4) Lucy and Ricky's best friends are Fred and Ethel, their landlord and his wife. Are you friendly with your neighbors?  I've known all of my immediate neighbors for my whole life and now my daughter and her family bought the house next door so yeah, I'm pretty friendly with the neighbors.


5) One of the most popular episodes has Lucy and Ethel working on the conveyor belt at a chocolate factory. When did you last have chocolate?  Just today. I keep a bag of those new Hershey's Cookie Bars in the refrigerator. Each bar is only 3 little squares, so just the right size when you're craving a bit of chocolate.

   
6) Another famous episode has Lucy promoting Vitametavegimin. This tonic is made with vitamins, meat, vegetables -- and 23% alcohol. Do you read the ingredients statement before you take an over-the-counter medication? Or do you trust that it's safe because it's on the store shelf?  Unless it's something I've never tried before or something herbal, I usually trust that it's safe. I really check out anything herbal since they are packing some really weird stuff into pills these days and making outrageous claims. If it was for the kids or now the grandkids, I really put it under the microscope.

7) I Love Lucy was filmed before a live audience. Desi Arnaz (Ricky) always maintained he could identify the chuckle of his mother-in-law, who attended every taping. Do you know anyone who has a distinctive laugh?  There is a woman in my Bible study who has a very loud, braying kind of laugh. I'm sure I could pick it out.

8) The show ended when the Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz marriage ended. Have you ever had to choose sides when a couple broke up?  Only once and it was the right thing to do given circumstances. Other than that, I don't think I've ever had to choose, though it does seem to work out on it's own that the friendship with one or the other will sort of fade away.

9) Random question -- You must eat the same dinner, every day, between now and Labor Day. An identical menu, no deviation. What will you be having?  Pizza. I would have no problem eating it every day. 


That's all for today. Have a great day and try to stay cool if it's hot where you are. The heat and humidity are rolling back in today and are to stick around for the next several days. At least it will make it easier to stay inside with the ankle propped up.

18 comments:

  1. Pizza! Last week I ordered a medium pizza and it lasted 4 meals. Right now I think I don't want a pizza for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could ever get sick of pizza. So many different kinds of crust, sauce, and toppings it wouldn't even have to be anything alike each day. And it has it all...grains (crust), protein (meats), and veggies. Sometimes it even has fruit.

      Delete
  2. Sorry about your ankle. I know how rotten that can be. I twisted mine years in a pot hole while running to catch the bus, and it was a lasting, painful and major inconvenience!! In retrospect, I would have better off waiting for the next bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say I was running for a bus or anything other than the truth. The truth is that I'm getting older and I had to be on my feet one day, mostly standing in one place for several hours. It's hurt since then so, yeah, I strained it standing still.

      Delete
  3. PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA !!!!!
    That is so cool that your daughter is living next door to you!! Lucky lucky momma!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so...and even luckier to have our youngest grandson so close.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to read about your ankle. That is a bummer. But gee whiz, the fact that you know all your neighbors and your daughter and family are next door! What a plus! That is amazing that you could eat pizza every day! I noticed on your comments to Sam that you also called her recipe beanie weinies! Us too. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great neighborhood. My mom lives right behind us in the house that was my grandparents'. All the neighbors are my mom's generation and the children of my grandparents' generation. While I call those in my mom's generation by their first names, I called all of the older ones "Aunt" or "Uncle" because I knew them too well to call them Mr. or Mrs. and back in the day a kid just didn't call adults by their first name.

      Beanie Weenies...didn't Campbell's or Kraft or somebody sell it in cans under that name?

      Delete
  5. Pizza's a great choice! Whydidn'tithinkofthat? lol
    I saw a movie about that cross country trip. The producers probably thought that it was good enough for a feature length and made one. It was a riot!
    And Hey! Cousin's count. ;o) Hope you get your ankle back to full health soon. I know it's been bothering you for a good while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo....there's a movie about driving cross country on Route 30? I have a DVD of an odd little movie filmed all along Route 30, but only in Pennsylvania.

      Delete
  6. I've always thought about doing the route 66 trek across the US. It starts in Chicago and ends in Santa Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on it in New Mexico and Arizona. If I ever get to do the Rt.30 trip I'd like to take a side trip into OK on 66. I've heard that's a good stretch.

      Delete
  7. I don't think there's ever a BAD time for pizza! Have you ever tried enjoying a slice with an over-easy egg atop?
    Please take care of that ankle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regular pizza with an egg on it? Nope, haven't tried that. Breakfast pizza is a big thing around here. A lot of the convenience stores sell it...pizza crust with scrambled egg, peppers, onion, sausage or bacon, and cheese. It's pretty good.

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your ankle. Maybe a little physical therapy? Doctors don't prescribe that near enough, but ultrasound helps a lot with inflammation. Hope you are up and about very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I have a friend who is a podiatrist and he's told me to come see him if it doesn't get better or gets worse. Maybe he'll take me that way if I have to go see him?

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.