June 22, 2018

Saturday 9: Shut Up + Dance

Linking up with Sam for the Saturday 9 on this rainy Saturday.

Like we need more rain after getting 4 inches on Wednesday and another inch that night! There was a lot of flooding and a coworker of mine is dealing with her mom's house flooding and the damage there, plus the total loss of everything in her own home and her husband's workshop (he makes incredible reproduction furniture).



Saturday 9: Shut Up + Dance (2014)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This is about a man who meets the woman who is his destiny on the dance floor. Do you think we each have One Great Love preordained by fate? Or do you think life offers each of us many opportunities for romance?  I believe that God has an intended mate for all of us, but whether we wait to meet that person and recognize them as the "one" is up to us. I also think it's possible to love more than once in life...but it's not a good idea to love more than one at a time!

2) Lead singer Nick Petricca says this song is inspired by a true story. He was all keyed up and his girlfriend dragged him onto the dance floor, insisting that dancing would cheer him up. Therefore he considers this song an "anthem to letting go and having fun." Think of the last time you really had fun. Who were you with? What were you doing?  I had gone to see a movie with friends and then out to dinner at a Chinese buffet. It wasn't anything special, except for the company I was with. We talked about everything and laughed until my sides ached.


3) The dance floor incident that inspired this song took place in Echo Park, an LA neighborhood located near Elysian Park and Chinatown. Tell us about your village or city. Do the neighborhoods have interesting names?  My town is a typical small town, but we have a few claims to fame. Fred Rogers and Arnold Palmer were both born here. The Pittsburgh Steelers hold their summer training camp at the local college. The first banana split was made here and the first air mail pick-up was made at the local airport. The pro football hall of fame was very nearly here rather than in Canton, OH. 

(I don't know if it's true, but I heard Arnold Palmer convinced the town officials that having it here would not be a good thing.) 

As for neighborhood names...Mechesneytown, Cooperstown, Snydertown, Loyalhanna, Clover Hill (my neighborhood), Kingston. Mostly they are named for the coal company "town" they began as. This whole area is undermined.

4) Walk the Moon promoted this record by a performance on Good Morning America. Are you enthusiastic and energetic at 7:00 AM? Or do you hit your stride later in the day?  I'm good at 7:00. It's my normal work wake-up time of 3:45 that I'm not so good with. Afternoons are my slump time.


5) "Shut Up + Dance" is the biggest hit by Walk the Moon. The band members met as at Kenyon, Ohio's oldest private college. Tell us about something that's old and revered where you live.  That would be St. Vincent College that was founded by Benedictine monks back in the 1800's. There is a beautiful cathedral and the hillside it sits on is under run by tunnels that the monks used to use. At one time the monks were self-supporting, operating a large farm and gristmill, and making and selling bread. It is open to both men and women now, but remains a seminary, too. The gristmill is a coffee shop these days.




6) Walk the Moon took their name from the Police song, "Walking on the Moon." What's your favorite song by Sting and/or The Police?  Every Breath You Take





7) In 2014, the year this song was popular, Robin Williams took his own life. What's your favorite Robin Williams performance?  Oh, gosh...he was so talented and played so many great characters, but I think I loved him most as a grown up Peter Pan in Hook.




8) Also in 2014, the Apple Watch was introduced. Are you wearing a watch as you answer these 9 questions?  Nope. I wear one during the school year and my days are positively ruled by time so when summer rolls around I rarely wear one.


9) Random question -- You must create a coat of arms for yourself, representing your life and spirit. Which of these items would you place at the center: a heart, a sword, or a pen?  Any of those would be fitting, but a heart would be the best choice, I think. A heart to symbolize love. The love that God has for me, the love I have for him, and the love I try to show to others.

16 comments:

  1. That campus looks gorgeous! And I bet the mill is a wonderful place for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink coffee, but it's still a pretty neat place to see.

      Delete
  2. I, too, would love to visit St. Vincent's. Since there's little likelihood I'll ever make it up to your neck of the woods, I enjoy your allowing us to "look over your shoulder."

    I think laughing with friends - at nothing and everything - is one of the greatest feelings. Anne Lamott calls it, "Carbonated holiness."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The University of Connecticut School of Law is in the old Hartford Theological Seminary and it looks a lot like St. Vincent College with it Gothic buildings

    ReplyDelete
  4. We both chose the same song "Every Breath You Take". Good one!! I enjoyed the questions today, and your answers. How interesting about the tunnels under the seminary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They just store stuff in them now. They used to give tours, but I don't think they do any more. I've always wanted to see them...kind of like the tunnels at Disney World!

      Delete
  5. I was around Syndorsville when we went to the Poconos two years ago. I remember seeing something about it, anyway. And is that college the place that supposedly has the oldest bookstore in America? I so wanted to go there when we were up that way but we ran out of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. You are in the wrong part of the state. I live in the southwest part of the state, about 45 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. And sadly, St. Vincent's, at least not this one (there are others), doesn't have that bookstore or I'd be a regular!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It is very pretty and takes on very different looks at different times of day with the changing light.

      Delete
  7. Your work day does start early. My parents lived in your neck of the woods briefly way before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know anything about where, what they did, etc?

      Delete
  8. Hey! "Fellow Every Breath You Take" lover. It has a broad appeal.
    That college is a grande place to be sure. What a great bit of history, too.
    I can't imagine driving a bus for a living, though I've met two women, you and PJ who drive one. She in the ice and snow of Colorado, and you in the ice and snow of Pennsylvania. Bless you both! and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That college campus is amazingly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.