June 15, 2018

Saturday 9: Cat's In The Cradle

Cat's In The Cradle

This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here.  This used to be one of my husband's favorite songs when I first met him. Ironic that he is the father/husband who is always at work and never has time for other things very often.

1) This song began as a poem, written by Harry's wife Sandy before the couple even met. Have you ever tried your hand at writing poetry? I used to write plenty of it back in the day. I seem to have lost the desire to do so over the years.

2) The lyrics include a reference to "The Man in the Moon." The original Mother Goose rhyme ends: "It's time for the children on earth to think about getting to bed." Do you remember what time your childhood bedtime was? It varied. In the youngest years I can remember it was 8:00. Then it was 9:00. I think it jumped to 10:00 in jr. high and then in high school I really didn't have one.

3)  When did you go to bed last night?  Midnight? Maybe 12:30 by the time I took the dog out, brushed my teeth and all the rest.

4) In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed the proclamation that made Father's Day a holiday on the third Sunday in June. Can you name all 45 Presidents? (No, you don't have to list them here.)  I think I could do it if you give me enough time. I might struggle a little on some of the ones in the 1800s.


5) Since Sam's father is particular about his Cole Haan loafers, her Father's Day present to him is always a DSW gift card. Who on your gift list is especially easy to buy for?  For Father's Day? I don't buy gifts for my husband, son, or son-in-law. That leaves my step-father and he's sooooo hard to buy for no matter the occasion.

6) Sam's father is a voracious reader. So much so that the local librarian knows him on sight and by name. When did you last visit your neighborhood library? I go exactly once a year (and coincidentally, tomorrow, Saturday...I'm answering on Friday...is the day) for their used book sale. I am notoriously horrible at returning books on time so I choose to skip borrowing them and just buy them.


7) Back when Sam was in high school, her father gave her driving lessons. Do you consider yourself a good driver?  Driving is my profession. So, yeah, I do.


8) He is a stickler about car maintenance and reminds Sam to check her car's air filter regularly, because a dirty air filter can reduce mileage. Share your own car maintenance tip.  Check all the fluids at least once a month.


9) Whenever he fills up the car, Sam's father also stocks up on his favorite candy: LifeSavers. So Sam is celebrating Father's Day by giving everyone a roll. Would you prefer Wild Cherry, Butter Rum, Winter Green or Peppermint?  It's a toss up between Wild Cherry and Peppermint.

That's it for this week. Thanks for another great song and fun questions, Sam! Please visit the Saturday 9 site to find links to the other players or to join in the fun.

22 comments:

  1. It was fun reading these questions and your answers, Stacy. I think Cat's in the Cradle is such a heartbreaking song. I really liked it back in the day, but I didn't really pay attention to or fully understand the lyrics. As an adult, I get them, and it always makes me sad. I remember when our kids were little, if my husband worked late too many days in a row, I would say to him, "The cat's in the cradle, the cat's in the cradle."

    Have a great weekend!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked the song, too. It does take on more meaning when you get older and understand it fully. That's great that your husband responded to your nudging.

      Delete
  2. Poem:

    If I could keep my head
    When all around me
    Are losing theirs
    And blaming it on me ... ... ...

    I'd be the only one needing a haircut.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You drive professionally? I didn't know that about you! Good answers today. We don't buy gifts for Father's Day either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm a school bus driver...though I would really like to find something else.

      Delete
  4. The great thing about a smart phone - you can download books from your library onto your cell and read them there, and in two weeks they vanish without your having to do anything. I download audio books and listen to them all the time. Check it out. It's called Overdrive and works great if you have a library card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great app, but I would have to go get a library card. Haven't had one since the kids were young.

      Delete
  5. I remember we always had to check the fluid levels, I used to find drops of oil always on the garage floor. Now I never find anything fluid leaks under my car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at CountryDew's comment, I also say that OverDrive is a great App.
    You would know all about engines then and even diesel engines. Whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa … thanks to CountryDew for this great tip! Regrettably, I wouldn't have any idea where my car's fluids are kept - or how to check them. Yes, I know … that needs to go on my 'to-do' list. Sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to know...that's what husbands are for! LOL

      Delete
  8. Today's Saturday 9 has some fun questions for us! I enjoyed your answers. I like cherry lifesavers too, but butter rum is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like butter rum...I don't know when I stopped.

      Delete
  9. Your answer to #4 could be mine. Given an unlimited amount of time, I could probably hit 45, too. But you'd have to wait patiently for me.

    And #6! The library book sale is one of the most glorious times of year, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't nobody got time for that (nor do they really care) so let's just skip it and have a glass of wine instead!

      The book sale is right up there with Christmas!

      Delete
  10. You have to be loving summer break and staying up late. Enjoy your weekend Stacy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no. I've been loving all the time I've had with our grandson, but the stress from the process of his mommy and daddy buying their first house is getting to us all.

      Delete
  11. My library also has used book sales. I have a box of books I want to donate. I just need to get them there. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheat. My mom is one of the volunteers. I just send them with her. And thanks, you enjoy your weekend, too!

      Delete
  12. When our son moved to Kansas, we missed him more than we realized. Since he is back in Indiana, we almost stop what we normally do when he comes to see us. I first heard the lyrics to this song at a church revival service. It was told to us to illustrate the point that we need to spend time with our children and not be like the son who fell into the same pattern as his father.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.