April 13, 2018

Saturday 9: High Noon

Saturday 9: High Noon (1952)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) What will you be (or were you) doing at high noon on Saturday?  I'm answering on Friday night so I will be....with my mom taking some old electronics to be recycled and taking the dogs to get rabies shots at a fundraising clinic for the K-9 departments of two local police forces.

2) In this song, Tex Ritter sings he doesn't know what fate awaits him. How strong is your sense of intuition? Tell us about a time you knew what would happen before it occurred.   I don't think I've ever known the future, but I am very good at noticing and putting together odd, seemingly unrelated facts and "knowing" things that way. In Christian-speak we call it "discernment."

3) This song was the theme of a hit movie western by the same name. It starred Gary Cooper as a small-town sheriff. When did you last interact with a member of law enforcement?
  I work with a retired state trooper, does that count?  If not, I guess it was two or three years ago when I presented the local police chief with a check from the Civic Club to help update our town's small and ancient jail and make it more secure...a much needed thing since our police station serves as the headquarters for the county drug task force. When they make one of those big, sweeping, drug roundups they bring the bad guys here. Better security is money well invested.

4) Grace Kelly co-starred as the "fair-haired beauty" mentioned in this song. Four years later, she gave up films to become Her Serene Highness, Princess Grace of Monaco. Which job seems like more fun -- movie star or royal?  I don't think either one sounds fun.  I would hate being under that kind of scrutiny all the dang time.

5) Though he cultivated a "just plain folk" persona, this week's featured artist, Tex Ritter, was really cosmopolitan and highly educated, earning a degree in economics from the University of Texas before going on to study pre-law at Northwestern. Do you think the "real you" is consistent with the image you convey?  Yes, I'm pretty much a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of girl.

6) Tex Ritter was the father of Emmy-winning comedic actor, John Ritter. John is remembered fondly as the voice of Clifford, the Big Red Dog. Clifford appeals to children because he is "gentle, friendly, loyal, lovable and clumsy." Do any of those adjectives apply to you?  Loyal,friendly and clumsy for sure. I'm working on becoming more gentle and loving.


7) Tex is also the grandfather of Jason Ritter, star of ABC-TV's Kevin (Probably) Saves the World. If you followed one of your grandparents into their line of work, what would you be doing?  I would definitely follow in my grandfather's footsteps.  He had to do something after having to retire from carpentry in his 4o's, so he became what we now call a picker, as in American Pickers.  I love the hunt and have been going to auctions, flea markets, rummage sales (just hit one today), estate sales, yard sales and more for as long as I can remember.  In fact, Tim and I are planning a long weekend away in June.  We are going to go to a flea market in Ohio that boasts 1600 vendors and then go to Columbus for the annual Country Living Fair.

8) In 1952, the year "High Noon" was popular, Stopette, the first antiperspirant deodorant spray, was introduced. Do you use a deodorant spray, stick or roll on?  I use a clear gel stick.

9) Random question: What's something you have always wanted to own, but never have?  A Ford Mustang Shelby.




That's it for this week. I will be around to visit everyone at some point tomorrow (Saturday), I promise.  Tomorrow's going to be a busy day.  The house is in dire need of a good tidying, Mom and I will be having all that fun I mentioned in #1, and I'm watching Colton for a while in the afternoon so his momma can take birthday photos of her friend's son.

Thanks to Sam for the fun song and related questions.  Be sure to visit the Saturday 9 site to find the links to the others playing along and the rules, you know, in case you'd like to join us.

Enjoy a blessed & beautiful Saturday!

12 comments:

  1. I love your answer to #1. I have old computers and phones taking up space in my closet because I can never get it together to get over to the recycling events. And those dogs! So gallant and important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was nice to get rid of the old flat screen TV that we'd left on the bedroom wall even though it had died.

      Delete
  2. My immediate reaction to #2? Your gift of "putting together odd, seemingly unrelated facts" sounds like the ingredients of a good detective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably why I enjoy mysteries and thrillers so much. I'm rarely stumped all the way through.

      Delete
  3. I was going to say the same thing Mevely317 said! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do okay with solving the crime when I read mysteries, but it's sort of different. I guess it's more intuition...being in tuned with people and being able to read them.

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like hitting a good flea market. I could tell that you are as you describe yourself to be, except for the clumsy which I have no idea about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flea markets are the bomb. Yes, I'm clumsy. I've been known to fall walking across the yard. I don't even have to trip over anything. Just....splat.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a "picker' but I do enjoy flea markets and going to some of those auctions seems like it would be lots of fun. Before my sister's husband had his stroke, they picked all the time and sold refurbished/re-purposed things in a consignment store. They loved doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be fun to refurbish/repurpose but have never really gotten to it. My daughter is wanting to get into that.

      Delete
  6. That Shelby is one good looking car. And yes, you can come on my beach. All the Sat 9ers are welcome.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.