March 16, 2018

Erin Go Bragh!

Cead mile failte romhat! (A hundred thousand welcomes!) Celebrating that we're all just a wee bit Irish today by linking up with Sam @ Saturday 9.  

Saturday 9: Danny Boy (1956)

"Danny Boy" was selected in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) This is a sad song of farewell. Who is the last person you said "goodbye" or "so long" to?  I can't think of anyone recently. Two years ago we said goodbye to Tim's brother. He suffered a stroke and then a blood clot at the age of 57.

2) According to the 2000 Census, Massachusetts is the state with the largest percentage of residents of Irish descent. Have you ever been to The Bay State?  Dad and Mom decided to take a driving tour of New England when I was 12. I remember staying at a hotel outside of Boston and being able to see some of the landmarks from the window, but I don't remember actually stopping to do anything in Massachusetts.  

I hope to go back one day.  I need to do some digging into my family tree and I want to see Plymouth since my ancestors were there.


3) "The wearing o' the green" is one way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Will you wear something green in honor of the day?  I'm going out to a movie and dinner with a bunch of the girls from high school tomorrow night.  I don't think I have anything appropriate in green. Maybe I'll wear my Irish Princess tiara.


4) What color makes you look best?  To my dismay, pink.  I don't mind a little of it once in a while, but not a lot and not all of the time. Green's not too bad, though.



5) Will you drink something green in honor of the day (like a Shamrock shake or a green beer)?  Nope. I don't particularly like either one.

6) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?  Nope. I don't really believe in luck.

7) Though she's singing an Irish ballad, this week's featured artist, Joni James, is of Italian heritage. Can you think of a song as identified with Italy as "Danny Boy" is with Ireland?  The only thing I can think of is this....



8) Soda bread and potato bread are popular in Ireland. Are there any rolls or bread in your kitchen right now?  Would you believe there's actually a loaf of potato bread on the counter?

9) Ireland is known for its whiskey. Do you enjoy Irish coffee (black coffee, whiskey and whipped cream)?  Nope. I don't like coffee at all and I'm not crazy about whiskey.  My family has always celebrated with corned beef and cabbage rather than alcohol.

My own little bonus to you:  Here's one of the hardest tongue twisters ever. I use it on the bus kids all the time.  Try saying "Irish wristwatch" a couple of times at normal speed. No dragging it out.  Let me know how it goes.



8 comments:

  1. Have fun with your galpals! I'm sure the tiara will get you a free drink at dinner.

    We picked the same Italian song. And "Irish wristwatch" did not go well for me when I tried it just now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m agast that you actually have POTATO bread on your counter. Shocking! 😉
    I struggled with the meaning in that first question. And you absolutely should wear your Irish Princess Tiara to your GalPal meet up. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should wear the tiara, too. I mean, a tiara! How many people have one of those?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also saying "Go with the tiara!" Potato bread is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep... same song! LOL Irish wristwatch. That was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tongue-twister! I couldn't say it even once.

    Have a wonderful Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, I haven't heard them in ages. I remember watching that movie with my parents

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.