The Love Club (2013)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.
1) Lorde has said this song is about a time when she fell into "a bad crowd." Her high-maintenance new friends were all about their romantic dramas and it overwhelmed her. Have you ever had a friend who was just too much work? As an introvert, I have to be on guard against viewing everyone that way. I often find the work of maintaining a relationship to be exhausting, but I do know what you mean. I have had high-maintenance friends (really and not just my perception) but they didn't last long.
2) She sings that she longs to be alone. Where do you go when you want peace and quiet? Most of the time I don't have to go anywhere special since my husband works 6 days a week and the kids are grown and gone. If I want peace and quiet when someone else is around I go in my library/office/craft room.
3) Lorde credits her mother for encouraging her verbal skills. "Mum" let her join a theater class when she was just 5 and was always giving her books. Tell us about an encouraging, understanding adult who assisted you when you were growing up. That would be my grandmother. She always praised everything I did and encouraged me in every pursuit.
4) Lorde is not the only celebrity from her class at Belmont School in Auckland, New Zealand. Olympian Eliza McCartney was a classmate who went on to win a bronze medal in Rio for the pole vault. Did you participate in any sports in high school? I was the pitcher for the girls' softball team and a guard on the girls' basketball team. My letterman's jacket proudly hung in a closet at Mom's for 32 years until last year when she brought it here. I gave it to the St. Vincent de Paul store.
6) Lorde wrote music for one of the Hunger Games soundtracks. Have you seen any of the Hunger Games movies, or read any of the books? No and no.
7) Her favorite candy is Peanut M&Ms. Do you prefer Milk Chocolate, Peanut, Almond, Mint or Cripsy M&Ms? Milk Chocolate.
8) When Lorde was on stage at Lollapalooza, a sudden storm interrupted her set. The music festival was evacuated and her performance was cancelled. Can you think of a time when the weather had a major impact on your plans? Well, we had absolutely gorgeous weather for our daughter's wedding this past September so that probably isn't what you wanted. Her graduation party comes to mind. We had it here at the house because we still had the pool then. She wanted to wait until evening so all of my husband's family would stay longer than an hour or two. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm with torrential rain hit just after we put the food out. Everyone grabbed something and ran for the house. Once the food was inside, they ate a plate of food and then left. So, they were only here for a couple of hours after all we planned the party around them.
9) Random question: Please complete this sentence -- Before I leave the house, I always __________________________. Open the window blinds for the dog, tell the dog I love it before I leave, give the dog a treat, and lock the doors!
That's it for this week. Great questions as usual Sam! Be sure you stop by the Saturday 9 and show her some love. Have a great Saturday! My husband actually took the day off and we're heading to Pittsburgh to see our son and his family (and take the bikes we got the grandkids for Christmas down to them).