January 26, 2018

Down at the End of Lonely Street

Saturday 9: Heartbreak Hotel (1956) 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Elvis checked in to the hotel at the end of Lonely Street. Where was the last hotel or motel you stayed at?

Erie, PA. My hubby and I went there for a long weekend in November...a bit of a getaway for our anniversary, but mostly because I hadn't been anywhere else last year due to pouring every penny into our daughter's wedding and I needed a break in the worst way.



2) He sings that Heartbreak Hotel is always crowded. The fear of crowds is so prevalent that it has four names (enochlophobia, ochlophobia, demophobia and agoraphobia). Are you comfortable in a crowd?

I'm not afraid of being in a crowd (unless you ask me to stand up in front of them and give a speech or presentation), but I wouldn't say I'm comfortable, either.  I'm fine with crowds at an event, but crowds at a party are a different story unless I know a lot of people.  I'm not good at small talk and that's kind of a required skill at parties so it's pretty awkward for me. I'd rather just not go.



3) The desk clerk at Heartbreak Hotel is dressed black. Do you often wear all black?

I often wear black pants or a black shirt, but rarely do I dress in all black.  That said, I am, oddly enough, wearing leggings and a t-shirt that are, you guessed it, all black. My fuzzy socks, however, are striped in varying shades of bright pink to match the graphics on the t-shirt.



4) The song was written by Mae Boren Axton, who said it was inspired by the story of an anonymous young man's suicide in a hotel. She said she read in The Miami Herald that the John Doe left behind a note that said, "I walk a lonely street." What's the last note you handwrote? (Hopefully it was more upbeat.)

It wasn't a suicide note, but other than that, I'm not sure what it would have been. Maybe a note in a Christmas card?



5) When Elvis was 11, his parents bought him a guitar. He had asked for a rifle, but his mama convinced him a guitar was a better idea. Tell us about a time one of your parents was right about something. 

My dad was definitely right when he said I should stay away from parties and drinking in college and focus on my classes.  Too bad I didn't listen to him.



6) Not long before "Heartbreak Hotel" was recorded, Elvis' father recommended he give up the guitar and become a truck driver. Tell us about a time one of your parents was wrong about something.

I believe my dad was wrong to be so strict with me when I was growing up. He grounded me constantly for the smallest infractions and I was never allowed to do a lot of the things my friends were doing. I get that he wanted to protect me from the pitfalls so many teens fall into, but I really think had he been just a bit more flexible I wouldn't have been so hellbent on enjoying all of my freedom once I gained it.



7) There are many stories about Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker. One anecdote, about his career before Elvis, has the Colonel painting sparrows yellow so he could sell them as canaries. Have you ever been ripped off?

I'm sure I have been, but I can't think of anything right now. I'm usually very careful about checking things out and reading all the fine print before signing on the dotted line.



8) Speaking of birds, Elvis once owned a peacock. It damaged his cars, so he gave it to the Memphis Zoo. In earlier days, it might have been dinner, for peacock was considered a medieval delicacy. What's the last poultry you prepared?

Chicken nuggets, which are poultry only in theory (I think they are gross...too many unidentified "things" have been found in nuggets), for our grandson. Now that he's eating "real" food, he's turning up his nose at everything but nuggets, fries, and yogurt.  I will be glad when this phase is over.



9)  Random question: You and a friend have dinner at a restaurant. Your friend left her wallet at home, so you pick up the entire tab of $62, including tip. A few weeks later, you two meet for lunch and when the bill comes, she puts down half. Do you remind her that she still owes you $31 from the last time you dined together?

Probably not, especially not at the restaurant. That wouldn't be the right time or place. If it was the first time she'd done something like that I wouldn't see it as a big deal.  If it becomes a habit, I'd probably say something...or I'd just avoid going out for meals with her.



Thanks to Sam for another great song and fun questions.  Visit the Saturday 9 site for links to posts from other players or to find the rules to join in the fun yourself.  Now, get out there and enjoy your Saturday!

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE Judge Judy memes!! And of course, all the ones you post with your blog!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dread going to a party where I don't know anyone and it only got worst as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We answered the last one about the same. Regarding your question on my blog, my mother said I had a sparkle in my eyes when I talked about my now-husband that I never had with any of the other boys I dated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...he put the sparkle in your eye. That's so sweet!

      Delete
  4. Every kid going to college should take your dad's advice. I need to get away too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should, but they probably wouldn't listen any better than I did.

      Delete
  5. I am more comfortable speaking in front of a crowd than mingling in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure which one I'd say I'm more comfortable with. I don't like speaking in front of a group and I don't like parties where I don't know anyone. Could I just stay home? LOL

      Delete
  6. The kidnapping describes me right now. I want a mental vacation from idiocy...
    Judge Judy certainly has nailed people. lol
    The Chicken McNugget and the baby is hilarious. Thanks for the fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...maybe a mental vacation would allow you to escape the idiocy, but I doubt there is anywhere you could go physically and get away from it. One of the Poles, maybe?

      Delete
  7. Your response to #6 hits pretty darn close to home. God bless their great intentions ... still.

    That Chicken Mcnugget meme is hysterial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy, and all of your graphics to go with them. Thanks for the giggles! Chicken nuggets will probably lead to mac and cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he takes after his mother he will like tacos. She went through a phase of wanting a taco every day for lunch. It was cheaper (and it got us out of the house a bit each day) to just take her to Taco Bell a couple of times a week. As a 2 year old she was on a first name basis with the manager and on her 3rd or 4th birthday we had it "catered" by Taco Bell. LOL

      Delete
  9. I'm the only one this week who wants her $31 back. Well, I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'd want it back, but I'm not much into confrontation and as someone else mentioned, one time isn't worth risking a friendship over. My friends and I don't even split the bill. We always just ask for separate checks right from the start.

      Delete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.