January 24, 2018

A Positive Hodgepodge

Winter is back and so is the Wednesday Hodgepodge...one is more welcome than the other. Can you guess which one? Ha!

Thanks, as always, goes to Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond for coming up with the questions week after week and hosting all the Hodgepodgers. Pay her a visit to find the rules to play along as well as links to the other players.




1. January 24th is National Compliment Day. Is it easy or not so easy for you to accept a compliment? Share a recent compliment you've given or received.  

It's not so easy for me to accept compliments. I always want to say why I don't deserve it, but I am learning to simply say "thank you" and let it go at that.  The most recent compliment I can think of came from my husband. I've been trying out some new recipes and he mentioned that he was really enjoying the great meals I've been making.

2. Ten little things you are loving right now.  


Let me think (insert Jeopardy music).... 1. There's a lot of extra room in all of my clothes these days.  2.The bible study I'm using as a devotional on hearing God's voice.  3. The thick fleece sheets I found at Kmart after Christmas. We love them so much I went back and bought another set.  4. The new Merrell clogs I got. Pretty, but so warm and comfy and they have a lot of support for my arches and special soles that correct a woman's tendency to have ankles that lean in.  5. How snuggly my Poodle is through this cold weather.  6. The warmth of the pellet stove.  7. The stack of books waiting to be read.  8. Colton's emerging personality...he's such a happy little guy.  9. The skin cream left over from when my husband got burned at work. It's working miracles on my dry skin.  10. It's not 10 below zero degrees outside (or 15, or 20, or even 25 below). Today's 32 with snow is plenty cold, thank you.

3. Would people describe you as a positive person? Do you see yourself that way? I read here  a list/description of eight things positive people do differently-

Positive people find something to look forward to every day, they celebrate the small stuff, they're kind, they stay busy, accept responsibility for their actions, forgive themselves, know when to move on, and resist comparisons

Which action on the list would you say you do regularly? Which action could you add to your life to give you a more positive outlook? If you're a positive person, what's something you do regularly that's not on the list?


How about I'm getting there. It wasn't all that long ago that I was stuck in a pattern of negative thinking, but God has really been working on me the last couple of years. I also watched a video on Facebook that showed how science has proved that negative thinking is a habit. Once you start, you actually train your brain to use that as its go-to response. You can change it by making yourself think positively. Eventually, your brain will learn the new response and make that the go-to.  It's pretty much what the Bible has been telling us all along...to focus on God, on what is good, true, and pure.

As for that list, I do some of that and some I don't. Some I am still working on. I'm trying to learn to be intentionally kind all the time so that's probably the one I do the most. The one I need more of is staying busy.

4. Homemade chicken soup, beef stew, or a bowl of chili...what's your pleasure on a cold winter's day?


Chicken noodle soup is the best when it's cold.

5. The best part of my day is....


Whenever I get to do my devotions and spend time with God. That's the time I really learn things and get my head on straight about life. I absolutely hate it when I have to miss it.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.


I'm finishing up just in time. My daughter just called and she is on her way over with Colton because their power went out. Again. Seems to be a regular thing in her area. I think I can count on one hand (and have a finger or two leftover) how many times in the 23 years we've lived here that our power has gone out. Have a wonderful Wednesday! I will have to read all of your answers later tonight after work.

7 comments:

  1. I need to check out those Merrells. I love the pair I have (not clogs, but more a hiking shoe). I have really flat feet and have had a lot of trouble with my achilles in recent months. I had some physio but still not 100%. Enjoy time with your grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merrells are great, aren't they! I think you are a positive person and your posts give me a boost often! I think more people chose chicken soup over chili...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOOOOVE Merrells. I discovered them a couple of years ago when my plantar fasciitis first popped up and I could stand to be on my feet for more than a few minutes.

      Thank you for the compliment. :)

      Delete
  3. I definitely must Google Merrells! Never heard of them, but I'm all about comfort.
    Is your hubby's skin cream an over-the-counter brand? When Tom was undergoing radiology, his doctors told us to buy Lubriderm. I love it, yet my cuticles are still apt to crack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only one who loved cold chicken soup!! Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Merrells. Sounds like I need to check them out too. Hope you had a fun day with Colton.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting! I love hearing from readers and friends so please do leave a comment and I'll respond as soon as I can.